diy solar

diy solar

balancing strategies as they relate to BMS

Yes that is fine. The Riden has two internal fuses. I am not sure about the actual power supply. Did you top balance the cells already?
Gazzo that is what this test rig is for.
Step 1 charge cells as a pack until one of them trips the bms.
step 2 charge indivdual cells until they trip the bms in turn.

Every seen the big Lebowski?

You are right and I did admit previously that maybe I didn't read back far enough. Call me the Wanderer.

Whatever Arthur is up to and for whatever reason I am totally interested. We both have the exact same power supply and cells....so I will be watching and responding. I am sure I will learn something new from his experience's.

Whatever Arthur is up to and for whatever reason I am totally interested. We both have the exact same power supply and cells....so I will be watching and responding. I am sure I will learn something new from his experience's.
If you are going to be top balancing, I have a bunch of methods to test.
Interested?

I got every thing connected and turned on the BMS but I can't connect to the bluetooth so I still can't use the app.
Also, after my BMS turned on, I couldn't run the power supply anymore. Every time I turn on the charger it displays voltage rising then it turns off.
Tomorrow is another day.

I contacted Michelle at Heltec and she messaged me a QR code and I downloaded a QR reader. Then I got to the Heltec site and downloaded a zip file. Then I downloaded a zip file extractor to extract an .APK file. I had to change a bunch of setting on my phone to make me a developer and allow me to use the APK to install an APP. What a pain in the butt.
I am connected.

edit- not only am I connected but I connected from my favorite seat in the house.

Last edited:
I contacted Michelle at Heltec and she messaged me a QR code and I downloaded a QR reader. Then I got to the Heltec site and downloaded a zip file. Then I downloaded a zip file extractor to extract an .APK file. I had to change a bunch of setting on my phone to make me a developer and allow me to use the APK to install an APP. What a pain in the butt.
I am connected.

edit- not only am I connected but I connected from my favorite seat in the house.
can you post a screen cap?

looks like the battery chemistry is set to lto=lithium titanate.
Look for LFP=lithium iron phosphate.
My eyes are not good so I will probably miss something important.
The big idea is that commissioning parameters are different than the parameters for normal usage.
Will look some more later.

power off voltage should be 2.5 volts for the capacity test.
max charge current should be whaterever you set your charger to plus a some wiggle rooom. Is that aggregate or per cell?
I can't really work from screen caps like that.
The trigger times should be very short
The resume times should be tuned to what is appropriate.

It's not fun taking pictures of my phone with my laptop.
I tried setting the charger to 53V and when the charger got to 53V the amps started reducing.
Now I have the BMS cell OVP set to 3.35V and the charger is set at 53.7V and 8A
I'll see if the BMS stops the charging when one of the cells get to 3.35V.
The cells have drifted from each other a little. The highest cell right now is 3.336V and the lowest is 3.326V.
So there is .01 difference.

One cell made it to 3.35 and the BMS over voltage limit shut down charging.
A while ago I changed the Charger amps to 12 and the BMS over current protection shut it down.
So, I changed the over current protection to 12.1
Now that I tested the BMS I will set the over voltage protection to 3.5V and charge until one cell hits the OVP limit.

edit- the lowest cell was 3.338V when the high cell hit the 3.35V limit. After about 10 min the cells are between 3.316V and 3.320V

Back