diy solar

diy solar

Biting the bullet. Doubling my battery capacity $$$$$$

Since throwing the switch and having my house off grid, I've increased the Kwh used per day. Batteries get fully charged each day so I'm using up the rest of the Kwh my panels are generating. Went from less than 20Kwh per day to over 50Kwh per day for this time of year. I get payback much quicker this way.
Same here. I "waste" energy as much as I can on sunny days.. Boiling water to combat dry air and using a 'portable' sauna are two of my favorite ways. Soon enough pumping water for the garden and running AC will take over.

I haven't used any grid power since throwing the switch, that is a good thing. I've been running some electric heaters in the house until I get heat pumps installed. My neighbor was by yesterday, he had to order more LP gas for his house. I told him I haven't used any LP during the day since throwing the switch unless it is poor sun for the day.

This morning was foggy with snow on the way tonight into tomorrow so have no idea what production will be. I didn't run any electric heat today.

It is a liberating experience for sure. Even if you don’t disconnect completely, knowing you could feels great

My neighbor was by yesterday, he had to order more LP gas for his house. I told him I haven't used any LP during the day since throwing the switch unless it is poor sun for the day.

This morning was foggy with snow on the way tonight into tomorrow so have no idea what production will be. I didn't run any electric heat today.
That’s what you get for opening your big mouth and bragging. Big man is watching. :ROFLMAO:

That’s what you get for opening your big mouth and bragging. Big man is watching. :ROFLMAO:
Sun came out this afternoon, I thought about adding some loads but the sun is now behind the clouds as rain and snow are moving in for the night. I only reached 94.5% SOC from about 65%. Not a great day but better than nothing and next few days could be total crap for weather.

If I had some inverter heat pumps I would have ran those. Resistive heating not so much as those do hog up the juice. Biggest user is the clothes dryer, I'm looking to replace the 6Kw unit in the house now for a heat pump dryer. That dryer wastes electricity and my wife ran it last evening after dark. One more thing about my wife, she now believes that when the sun is out she can run everything all at once. Turn on 2 1500W heaters, the dryer drawing 6Kw, the washing machine and then the well kicks in to fill the washing machine. I came in and went down to the basement, one 6500EX is outputting 6.3Kw and the other about 4.5Kw. PV coming in was the 4Kw per SCC and I only have a 8.4Kw array.

I guess she wanted to test it out. I told her she might find herself in the dark someday if she keeps it up. :LOL:

What kind/brand/model of heat pump are you thinking of installing?
Looking at mini splits for heating in fall and spring, then cooling in summer. Need to research more on dual zone or 2 single zone. I know some use the type where a coil in installed in current ductwork but I would think running the furnace fan plus the heat pump would be wasteful for power.

I bought a 9K Pioneer 19SEER for my truck camper, nice unit if I ever finish installing it. Outside mount was fabricated and I finally painted the mounts this winter. Have to get the evaporator unit installed inside which involves building a custom cabinet next to it. I'll get to it sometime, unless I hook the boat to the truck camper and never unhook it all summer if the fishing is good.

I've had a 74 Plymouth 340 Cuda in the shop all winter that I'm installing air conditioning in it. It's a customer's car, wasn't air conditioned from the factory. Tearing into the dash next week for certain. That needs to get done first because once the weather warms up it is 100 hour work weeks for me during heat waves. I already have a list of jobs to do once the weather warms up, still have snow on the ground. People started calling 3 weeks ago, "Put me on your list". It gets earlier every year, I'm not ready for the coming season.

And I’m just north of Timbuktu, so I’m looking for the best mini split for cold temperatures.

And I’m just north of Timbuktu, so I’m looking for the best mini split for cold temperatures.
I'm 20 miles south of the border, an hour straight south from Rochester. I don't see a mini split efficient in the cold weather we get, I still plan on using LP gas in winter. The short days and a winter like this that was cloudy all winter for 4 to 5 day stretches wasn't a good winter for production. Very few sunny winter days.

I reached 98% SOC as the sun came back out, burning off excess Kwh now heating the house. Called a residential HVAC buddy of mine and we talked mini splits, told him to shoot me a price on a couple of 12K BTU units installed as I may not have time to install myself. I know he prefers Daikin.

Yeah, expecting on real cold days I’ll be on my natural gas furnace.

But GEER has a model that claims to go down to -32°F, I know it wouldn’t be very efficient that cold, but if I could get something that has a decent COP down to maybe 10°F or so? That would be cool hot!

Mitsubishi and I think Fujitsu have cold weather models. Mr. Cool too.

If anyone has any suggestions on mini splits, I'm all ears. Heat pump dryers too.
You've already heard me talk about the Mitsubishi so I won't run on and on. I've only had them a week or so now but I'm pretty happy. Mine are connected to Mitsubishi matched air handlers but it's the same tech. All I can tell you is they are incredibly quiet, the house stays the same temperature all the time instead of that up and down crap, and they're pulling maybe half the amps of my previous 14 SEER Luxaire heat pumps. These are 100% efficient down to -5 but you can always add heat strips. Obviously none of us are a fan of heat strips but with your temps you may not have a lot of options. For here, they don't even install heat strips. The real test will be summer. Ask me again in July! LOL.

I did get a quote for a 12k btu mini split to put on the garage to manage the temps for the inverters. I think he's giving me a decent deal since I bought so much from him already. $3500 installed for a Mitsubishi. I think it's 23 SEER at least.

Looking at mini splits for heating in fall and spring, then cooling in summer. Need to research more on dual zone or 2 single zone. I know some use the type where a coil in installed in current ductwork but I would think running the furnace fan plus the heat pump would be wasteful for power.
The setup on mine is that the air handler is actually powered by the condenser unit. They did have to install new line sets but the cost was still competitive. The wiring for the air handler is included in the line set. What's surprising is these air handlers are running on 14 awg wire. I mean, that's what you run for a light circuit. Very low amps. When my three ton unit is full out it's pulling about 9 amps but that's including the air handler. I basically killed three breakers in the old panel because I no longer need power to the air handler and no heat strips.

I'm planning on a 3 ton heat pump (Unless I canactually convert my existing unit) . And keeping the NG furnace for emergency heating. Will also add a few mini split units.
Unless I change my mind, again. lol

The setup on mine is that the air handler is actually powered by the condenser unit. They did have to install new line sets but the cost was still competitive. The wiring for the air handler is included in the line set. What's surprising is these air handlers are running on 14 awg wire. I mean, that's what you run for a light circuit. Very low amps. When my three ton unit is full out it's pulling about 9 amps but that's including the air handler. I basically killed three breakers in the old panel because I no longer need power to the air handler and no heat strips.
Do you have a link to your unit?

Back