diy solar

diy solar

Busbar wiring question...

RTL44

I know (now) that diagonal wiring w/busbars is preferred - especially for large battery racks - but I didn't realize it until AFTER I wired everything. I have 2 banks of four 100A 48V server rack batteries. I wired it with the lead coming from the CENTER of the bus bar (for both - and +) instead.

How important is it that I have it wired diagonally? (diagram & pix below) The yellow circles are where the leads from the batteries are connected to the bus bar, the line is where the lead to the Sol-Ark is connected to the bus bar - basically in the center. It's the same for all 4 bus bars.

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• 1671002322768.png
    1671002322768.png
    32.3 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_4026.jpg
    IMG_4026.jpg
    291.7 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_4995 2.jpg
    IMG_4995 2.jpg
    162.5 KB · Views: 29
It will still work. The batteries will just not run together in the middle of the curve. Some will discharge further than the others. And take longer to get back to full.

It will still work. The batteries will just not run together in the middle of the curve. Some will discharge further than the others. And take longer to get back to full.
Thanks for the reply. Do you think it would be worth the effort to undo it and reconnect diagonally?

What exactly is the busbar made of and dimensions of them? I wouldn't bother redoing it unless you actually find an issue in the future with this configuration.

What exactly is the busbar made of and dimensions of them? I wouldn't bother redoing it unless you actually find an issue in the future with this configuration.
Thanks. It's copper that I tinned. I wrapped it with neoprene and electric tape. Pix of the bus bar & dimensions below:

Attachments

• 176323-lpbusrack.jpg
    176323-lpbusrack.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 9
  • barra-de-distribución-de-tierra-fisica-para-montaje-en-rack-19-176323.jpg
    barra-de-distribución-de-tierra-fisica-para-montaje-en-rack-19-176323.jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
At around 160mm2 that's a pretty meaty busbar.
What's your maximum operating current? Your bar should be good for around 200A.
Centre feed only leaves a few inches extra to two of the packs.

As above, unless you actually see issues, I'd be tempted to leave it as it is.

Last edited:
Back