diy solar

diy solar

Can Solar & Wind Fix Everything (e.g., Climate Change) with a battery break-through?

I think you are missing the point.
What i am saying is that previous history can look nice and dandy (and true). But a "used" battery can essentially fail at any moment, and since its out of warranty, that would be $20K+ to replace.
Not a chance anyone would want to gamble on.
Completely different story vs buying a brand new EV with battery warranty.

Oh gotcha. I don't know if they have a track record of sudden failure though?

EV scare me because of battery replacement cost and fires. Hyundai issued a statement saying don’t park in garages with recall. Hmmm what was the trigger point for the recall?

I have liked the Hyundai Ioniq 5 since it was planned. The price was really high when Ioniq 5 made initial debut. Everyone seem to love it.
I re-evaluated and waited. Drove by there - looking few weeks back and the Hyundai EV have huge discounts now. I consider ~$15,000 off previous pricing as significant. Sure glad did not buy the Ioniq 5 at marked up pricing.

Have also read this story - where guy damaged his battery by running over something. Turns out he might not have done the damage in some reports and the battery had just swelled. If the battery just swelled Hyundai should have done a warranty replacement. Reported They didn’t.
1 example

Imagine buying an EV on Sale for ~ $39,000 then told replacement battery is $60,000. Granted this is UsA and Canada pricing mixed but for sake of argument would say cheaper to just buy another new car vs just a battery. Sad day. No company can withstand a complete replacement at full price and survive - remain in business. They will go broke.

Tldr but yikes. They must have to tear the car apart to replace the battery for it to cost that much.

I have less than that into my entire 2.8 acres of waterfront property, cabin and all. ?

Reactions: D71
Tldr but yikes. They must have to tear the car apart to replace the battery for it to cost that much.

I have less than that into my entire 2.8 acres of waterfront property, cabin and all. ?
It looked like a major deal on 1 video. Sorry I can’t find that video atm. The main battery is huge. Hyundai had a lot of problems with 12 volt battery going dead too. It was needed for head lights and standard 12volt things.

Hyundai has had lot of problems ….. car makers are in trouble …. jeep hybrid are sitting everywhere. Huge price drops both ev and gas for new Dodge - Jeep - $15,000 -$19,000 discounts on carguru. They blame EV - Hybrid

It looked like a major deal on 1 video. Sorry I can’t find that video atm. The main battery is huge. Hyundai had a lot of problems with 12 volt battery going dead too. It was needed for head lights and standard 12volt things.

Hyundai has had lot of problems ….. car makers are in trouble …. jeep hybrid are sitting everywhere. Huge price drops both ev and gas for new Dodge - Jeep - $15,000 -$19,000 discounts on carguru. They blame EV - Hybrid

Jeep junk is only popular during the rapid fire money-printing phase of the bubble.

Their vehicles are complete crap and ugly to boot.

What's annoying to me is how expensive electric cars are. They should be cheaper than gas given the same configuration.

The battery costs as much as the comparable car.
Small battery would make it affordable. But limited range. ergo, my preference for hybrid.

Some people report that electric car plus charging is cheaper than gas car plus fillups. Given their usage.

I think keeping my old Civic is the cheapest for me. Even if It needs a new head (anywhere I can get a new one, rather than used with crack possibly initiated?)
And K2500 is good for what I use it for.

Btw the Italians own Dodge Jeep …… french own Renault - Nissan. Chevy is reported china. Ford is like world market. Toyota is still them but mixed with Subaru. Mazda is in with Toyota at a joint factory here in States…. Think Alabama. We got weird things going on …. Think EV rush has caused auto makers to protest Biden - WEF. Most are claiming will never meet their dead lines.

the quality has went way down since trying to rush make EV and Hybrids.

I went and bought new Rav4 gas. Just in case they stop all production - world economy collapse. I got a discount on a toyota. ??

jeeps were bought by for lack better words red necks… work on them all week to drive them off road on weekends. The jeep - Italian CEO priced them crazy high pay for the ev hybrids. I read report he is toast - getting the axe. Jeep alienated their buyers.
Harley did that too. Harley made more money selling t shirts. They have an EV bike too. Never looked at it. Think the harley fad is over. It will return goes in cycles. Pun intended.

The battery costs as much as the comparable car.
Small battery would make it affordable. But limited range. ergo, my preference for hybrid.

Some people report that electric car plus charging is cheaper than gas car plus fillups. Given their usage.

I think keeping my old Civic is the cheapest for me. Even if It needs a new head (anywhere I can get a new one, rather than used with crack possibly initiated?)
And K2500 is good for what I use it for.
2006 civic?

2000 Civic CX.

I see heads used, rebuilt, etc. but not new.
Don't know if anybody has an inspection process.
At 295k, suspect my got cracks. Fixed external leak under intake manifold with 2-part epoxy. But blows a bit of white in the morning, was loosing coolant.
Right now, I'm using a non-pressure-seal cap, coolant just filling radiator cold. Hot, it nearly fills reservoir.
I bought combustion gas in coolant detector, haven't used yet.

2000 Civic CX.

At 295k, suspect my got cracks. Fixed external leak under intake manifold with 2-part epoxy. But blows a bit of white in the morning, was loosing coolant.
Right now, I'm using a non-pressure-seal cap, coolant just filling radiator cold. Hot, it nearly fills reservoir.

Just get a Jap motor.

Albeit, I can do a cylinder head on one of those standing on my head with my eyes closed. ?

Don't quote me but I think the CX either only has 2 valves per cylinder or it has a VTEC system that is unique only to the cx so the head isn't compatible with the LX or EX. Might make it harder to get a used head for it.

2000 Civic CX.

There was a time on ebay could get replacement jdm long block engines under $1000 with shipping …low miles… before the World went nutz.

The French now own Fiat/Jeep/Chrysler.

I'm currently driving a Wrangler Rubicon. It rides about the same as the Ram 5500 I had before it. "It's a Jeep thing", and I DON'T understand. Unless you're doing a lot of off-road it's a poser vehicle. Expensive, poor fuel economy, horrible ride and no space.

I'm currently driving a Wrangler Rubicon. It rides about the same as the Ram 5500 I had before it. "It's a Jeep thing", and I DON'T understand. Unless you're doing a lot of off-road it's a poser vehicle. Expensive, poor fuel economy, horrible ride and no space.
I entertained a Gladiator for a bit but regained - walked away. Chrysler Dodge Jeep was American Icon. American tax payers should demand money back. We bailed them out over and over. Ppl should go to prison over our lost tax dollars too.

“Jeep is an iconic SUV brand with a storied history, as important to WWII soldiers as to modern-day off-roaders. It was originally developed by Willys-Overland in 1941 and is currently owned by the multinational automotive conglomerate Stellantis. Find out more about the brand here. “

I am not sure who really owns what anymore they change hands so much with everything.

I entertained a Gladiator for a bit but regained - walked away. Chrysler Dodge Jeep was American Icon. American tax payers should demand money back. We bailed them out over and over. Ppl should go to prison over our lost tax dollars too.

“Jeep is an iconic SUV brand with a storied history, as important to WWII soldiers as to modern-day off-roaders. It was originally developed by Willys-Overland in 1941 and is currently owned by the multinational automotive conglomerate Stellantis. Find out more about the brand here. “

I am not sure who really owns what anymore they change hands so much with everything.
I learned how to drive a stick using a jeep from the motor pool, and a duece and a half with a bunch of guys in the back. Never took a road test. They just handed me a license.?

• Haha
Chrysler got Jeep as part of the AMC merger in the late 80's, early 90's. There was the abortive "merger" with Daimler through the 90's that mostly consisted of the Germans sucking out every cent they could. Then the merger with Fiat in 2008 that was actually pretty beneficial to both companies. Sergio seemed to be a very good manager. He foresaw the coming drive for ever higher design and kept trying to merge, but he was always trying to merge with another US automaker as he didn't want to harm Fiat. Once he died management rather quickly started looking for other partners and roughly a year ago merged with PSA (Puegot and Citroen) who had also ended up with GM's European operations (Opel) in 2009. Stellantis covers a lot of nameplates...

They ran the prices so high most ppl stopped buying them. I’d like to see Gladiator with hemi v8 and 37”tires. I read the hemi v8 is getting killed off. They - most auto makers did that cylinder - cut out crap and ruined the lifter - cams. GM did it. Ford did it. That cylinder deactivation damage was best sure way to make ppl buy a new vehicle in a few years.

Would you buy the Jeep again or something else? What drive train are you running? What would you buy?

EV trucks are a no go for me. All gas - Trucks are going TURBO. Jeeps are turbo 4 now. Not for me. Liked the v6 better. The numbers built for that v6 is incredible.

Sanwizard …. Turbo Deuce and half had loud whistle from turbo diesel…. Preferred the non turbo in them too. The amazing part about that Military license - no picture. When I was in if you could drive the deuce and half then the motor pool pencil whipped the rest. ?

They ran the prices so high most ppl stopped buying them. I’d like to see Gladiator with hemi v8 and 37”tires. I read the hemi v8 is getting killed off. They - most auto makers did that cylinder - cut out crap and ruined the lifter - cams. GM did it. Ford did it. That cylinder deactivation damage was best sure way to make ppl buy a new vehicle in a few years.

Would you buy the Jeep again or something else? What drive train are you running? What would you buy?

EV trucks are a no go for me. All gas - Trucks are going TURBO. Jeeps are turbo 4 now. Not for me. Liked the v6 better. The numbers built for that v6 is incredible.

Sanwizard …. Turbo Deuce and half had loud whistle from turbo diesel…. Preferred the non turbo in them too. The amazing part about that Military license - no picture. When I was in if you could drive the deuce and half then the motor pool pencil whipped the rest. ?
Yup, thats what they did!

What do you mean motor pool "pencil whipped the rest"?
They signed me off on vehicles and equipment never even seen or drove after proving could drive a deuce and half. … ?
some companies were buying surplus duece and half then bobbing them - considered buying 1.

talk about pea cocking ??

IMG_4501.jpeg

They signed me off on vehicles and equipment never even seen or drove after proving could drive a deuce and half. … ?
some companies were buying surplus duece and half then bobbing them - considered buying 1.

talk about pea cocking ??

View attachment 188804

Oh gotcha.

They are soooooooo slow though. Guess it could be turned up for more fun.

Oh gotcha.

They are soooooooo slow though. Guess it could be turned up for more fun.
Some of non-turbo could be govern up to out run turbo deuce. I can’t remember top speed but seem like ~50-55mph and it was struggling. Seems like range was 400-500 miles with tank full but not at top speed ….. the tires were agricultural type. ?? Driving 50mph was hairy. Think most of our deuce were built in 1960s. Some upgraded.
the old jeep the motor pool refitted with roll bars. Talk about slow …. think top was around 35-40 mph.

Can you imagine if the whole military went EV? Joe Biden and his ppl are friggin idiots You can tell Biden was a career politician.

I can and do see applications for EV. Hmmmm I think these idiots destroyed the automotive industry by pushing to hard. We will be expected to foot the bill…. to the foreign owners.

I read we converted from horse & buggy in about ~10-12 years to automobiles. Hmmmm I remember seeing our guys - military riding horses in Afghanistan. ?

All these ppl wanting green had horse and buggy but gave them up. ?? I guess sitting south of a north bound horse - farting was a motivator.

The Wrangler isn't mine, it's a test vehicle. I would NEVER buy one. My sister has one and loves it. I just keep my mouth shut on my opinion. The one I have is the turbo hybrid, as I'm supposed to be training for EV work.

Arctic Sea Ice Soars to Highest Level for 21 Years​

The dramatic, if largely unpublicised, recovery in Arctic sea ice is continuing into the New Year. Despite the contestable claims of the ‘hottest year ever’ (and even hotter in 2024), Arctic sea ice on January 8th stood at its highest level in 21 years. Last December, the U.S.-based National Snow and Ice Data Centre (NSIDC) revealed that sea ice recorded its third highest monthly gain in the modern 45-year record. According to the science blog No Tricks Zone, the reading up to January 8th has now far exceeded the average for the years 2011-2020. It also exceeds the average for the years 2001-2010, and points directly upwards with regard to the average for the years 1991-2000.

The graph below shows the scale of the recovery compared to all the years tracked in the modern satellite record.

image-36.png

Of course this is only about half a winter’s worth of data, and we must be careful not to follow alarmists down their chosen political path of cherry picking and warning of climate collapse on the basis of individual events. But as we have seen in recent Daily Sceptic articles, the current recovery in Arctic sea ice is a climate trend that can be taken back to around 2007. In a recent paper, the Danish scientist Allan Astrup Jensen provided data showing a fall in the sea ice between 1997 and 2007 but minimal losses in the 45-year record both before and after this period. The investigative journalist Tony Heller draws a four-year moving average to show a small recovery in the lowest ice extent in September from around 2012. He also notes that 1979 was a recent high point, with lower ice levels in the 1970s going back to the 1950s.

Where does all this leave the alarmists promoting their insane collectivist Net Zero project? Stuck up a frozen creek without an ice pick, it might be suggested. In 2022, Sir David Attenborough told BBC viewers that the summer sea ice could all be gone within 12 years. Climate models fed with opinions and wishful thinking seem to have guided him in his lamentations rather than the actual data. But if the ice continues to roar back, it is likely that the sea ice scare will have to be retired, along with all the disappearing coral popping up in record amounts on the Great Barrier Reef.

Cyclical natural climate variations, observed in the past record going back to the early 1800s, appear to offer a better explanation of trends in the polar sea ice extent. Little understood effects of ocean currents and atmospheric heat exchanges are obvious drivers of the climate in the far north. Taking the view that humans, and only humans, control the climate temperature would appear to be a dead end in understanding Arctic glaciology.

Ditto Antarctica, where the cherry pickings for catastrophists seemed to offer good prospects of late. Last year the BBC reported on lower levels of winter sea ice than those recorded in the recent past. The BBC said it showed a new benchmark for a region “that once seemed resistant to global warming”. This inconvenient resistance of course refers to the fact that Antarctica has shown “nearly non-existent” warming over the last 70 years. Dr. Walter Meier from the NSIDC helpfully added: “It’s so far outside anything we’re seen, it’s almost mind-blowing.” The “mind-blowing” quote made headlines around mainstream media. Alas, Dr. Meier seemed to forget that barely a decade ago he was part of a science team that cracked the secrets of early Nimbus satellite data that showed even lower winter levels of sea ice in 1966

At the time, the Nimbus team won awards and the Daily Sceptic has been able to jog Dr. Meier’s memory on what he said at the time.

Even in the passive microwave record [available since 1979] for the Antarctic you see these seesaws where the ice concentrations go up and down, so extreme high or extreme low are not that unusual. What the Nimbus data tells us is that there’s variability in the Antarctica sea ice that’s larger than any we had seen from the passive microwave data. Nimbus helps put this in a longer term context and extends the record.
Three cheers for the longer record. It doesn’t seem to get much of a look-in these days as the Earth starts to boil. Below, Professor Ole Humlum maps the sea ice extent in Antarctica going back to 1979.

image-37.png

Allan Jensen looks at the same data and notes that any downward trend in the period was very small. The only discernible trend is a rise from around July 2013 followed by a small fall. Jensen points to a recent decline in 2022 and 2023. But, of late, any decline has been slowed with the NSIDC-recorded extent at the end of the last month only the sixth lowest in the record.

diy solar

diy solar
Back