diy solar

diy solar

Can Solar & Wind Fix Everything (e.g., Climate Change) with a battery break-through?

Interesting video as to why climate change should be thought of as urgent:

Right? Climates change, always have, always will. Spending money will not fix it,
What an odd point of view. If we can imagine terraforming other planets someday, then obviously some amount of money can do it to Earth someday. A lot of people have said similar things throughout history: the Maginot line won't fall, mankind will never fly, we'll never reach the moon, etc.

The thing is, I for one don't want to spend endless money on it forever. Delay makes no sense.

...We have much bigger and more immenent problems that need our attention, like mass illegal sanctioned migrations, Lets work on some of that crap before we worry about the weather.
Climate change drives a lot of that crap now, and those changes aren't linear with temperature increases. We can't do much about North Korea. We can become carbon neutral.
waynedyer1-2x.jpg

The entire climate change and carbon being the bad guy is hoax and is manufactured to destroy whats left of middle class in EU and US.
Watch what they do, not what they say. These guys are literally shitting on everyone's head.

In his effort to curb greenhouse gas emissions, Kerry has flown hundreds of thousands of miles – sometimes commercially, sometimes on his own private jet – leaving a gigantic carbon footprint in his wake. In just nine months last year he logged more than 180,000 miles, emitting some 9.5 million pounds of carbon, according to an analysis of his official travel announcements by the Washington Free Beacon.
The global travel and speeches to combat global warming have enjoyed glowing coverage from media outlets including The New Yorker, which praised his effort to “save the climate.” But thus far it has unfolded behind a cloak of invisibility beyond the press releases.
RCI reached out to the Washington office of the Organization for Economic Co-Operation and Development and the liberal Common Cause, which trumpets the need for “transparency and accountability” in government. Neither group responded to questions about the special climate envoy’s refusal to make his spending public.

Wow.. are you being serious or is this some kind of sarcasm that's not translating into text very well? Either that or maybe some kind of reading problem?
Maybe I have a reading problem? Because from what I read, they're describing a bit of a strange case.. A person who looks to be, and probably is, of Hispanic origins, but one who has the typical (irrational) beliefs in line with common neo-Nazi's and white-supremacists.

But they didn't actually call him a white supremacist.. They said (paraphrasing) he had internet postings relating to such ideologies, as well as markings (patches or tattoos?) on his person that said RWDS (Right Wing Death Squad).

How about you copy and paste the paragraph where they said he was a white supremacist?

And after thinking about this for a moment I'm pondering another question. Your reaction to their article seems like an over-reaction.. A bit like one would expect from a typical Christian person when a mass killer is described as a "devout Christian". Kind of like "How dare you lump him in with the group I support" kind of thing.

There must be a psychological term to describe this.. if anyone knows it, please speak up.
And yet we wait for the release of the trans manifesto for the school children mass murder.
There are nut jobs everywhere. Just walk down 7th ave in NY, or ride the subway for a day. These shootings will not stop until they get RID of gun free zones. If gun free zones worked, then the capital would be a gun free zone. Its GUARDED by armed guards.

Remember Elisjsha Dicken? Probably does not ring a bell quickly right? He was the 20 year old who took out the mall shooter in Indiana, saving who knows how many lives. He was carrying against the law, since the mall was a gun free zone, but in doing so, he became a hero.

Cowards who kill children are drawn to gun free zones, cause nobody can shoot back.

And yet we wait for the release of the trans manifesto for the school children mass murder.
There are nut jobs everywhere. Just walk down 7th ave in NY, or ride the subway for a day. These shootings will not stop until they get RID of gun free zones. If gun free zones worked, then the capital would be a gun free zone. Its GUARDED by armed guards.

Remember Elisjsha Dicken? Probably does not ring a bell quickly right? He was the 20 year old who took out the mall shooter in Indiana, saving who knows how many lives. He was carrying against the law, since the mall was a gun free zone, but in doing so, he became a hero.

Cowards who kill children are drawn to gun free zones, cause nobody can shoot back.

An armed society is a polite society :).

You are preaching to the choir.. I'm an avid 2nd amendment supporter.. Wife has a CPL, I just bought another suppressor and considering getting a Form 7 with an SOT2.

Trans manifesto? I don't see the issue of trans people being an issue. Treat them with respect, they mind their business, I'll mind mine. I will never understand why people are so infatuated with the sexual preferences of other people.

First things first.. to be specific, he wasn't carrying illegally, he was carrying on private property against the wishes of the property owner. The specific state, as I understand it, was Indiana, and while property owners can post GUN FREE ZONE signs, those signs are not backed up by force of law, meaning the worst that can happen is that a person is forced to leave.

I had to look this one up.. specifically, whether a sign on private property could be backed up by public law. I would have bet my barn that such laws didn't exist, but apparently they do.

From what I can gather, there was nothing to prosecute him for since he was obviously using his weapon to defend life and Indiana does not back up GUN FREE ZONE signs with force of law.

Even if Indiana did have such a law on the books however, there's no freaking way that mall would agree to press charges.. that would be a public relations nightmare with a protest level response and probably a local boycott.. =bad for business.

I strongly recommend you read a book called "The Violence Project" by Peterson/Densley

They went back almost 100 years, examined evidence, interviewed relatives, police, investigators, news media, victims, and even interviewed the still living shooters in prison. What they found was interesting and quite surprising. It was a decade long research project backed up by the DOJ. Remember I said I read a lot? The type of information in this book and how it benefits me is why. And just in case you're wondering about a book with the title "violence" that was written by a woman, there might be two paragraphs that mention gun control.. the rest is about the commonalities between shooters, the causes, and what we should be doing about it.
It is not a political activist masquerading as a research piece. I would say its one of the top 5 best books I've read in the past two years.

Maybe these stores should put up "THEFT FREE ZONE" signs and see how well they work..

UN chides Biden for climate inaction​

U.N. Secretary-General Antonio Guterres bluntly challenged the climate efforts of President Joe Biden and other world leaders in a message for a White House summit, charging that expanded oil and gas drilling and other policies of the richest countries amount to a “death sentence” for the planet. ref

Not Even a Single Republican Voted for the Climate Bill​

Zero Republicans in the House. Zero Republicans in the Senate. The IRA was adopted entirely along party lines, with all Democrats and not a single congressional Republican in support of the legislation. ref

If 30% of Republicans believe Climate Change is a Crisis, why didn't they vote to solve it?​

Given a number of Republicans, like Kennedy, Alexander, and Ayotte, all say they believe in climate change, why they didn't vote for it?

First off, it's not really a "Climate Bill", it's the Inflation Reduction Act, not a bill just to fix the climate. The Democrats call it that to put the weight of the Climate change crisis behind it to get other items to pass.

Here's what's in the IRA (wording is from a Democratic source):
  1. Enacts historic deficit reduction to fight inflation
  2. Lowers energy costs, increases cleaner production, and reduces carbon emissions by roughly 40 percent by 2030
  3. Allows Medicare to negotiate drug prices and caps out-of-pocket costs to $2,000
  4. Lowers ACA health care premiums for millions of Americans
  5. Make biggest corporations and ultra-wealthy pay their fair share
  6. There are no new taxes on families making $400,000 or less and no new taxes on small businesses – we are closing tax loopholes and enforcing the tax code
image1.png

So, only one item in the IRA is actually about fighting climate change and represents $369 billion over a decade (about the same as NASA's yearly budget). That's about 1/10th what we spent just cleaning up "disasters".

$369 billion over a decade is a far cry from the $50 trillion Kennedy was talking about. At 13%, our share of $50T should be around $6.5 trillion.

So, perhaps the real question is: if so many Democrats believe climate change is a crisis, why aren't they doing more about it? Possibly they too believe there are more urgent things to worry about and how to fund everything. No wonder the UN is calling them out.

Kennedy called it $50 trillion to fix climate change. Where does that come from? It's 5x the size of Master Plan 3. A heck of a lot more than the Time article. Possibly he was just throwing the number out from Morgan Stanley's old cost estimates?

Another quack-a-doodle website followed by quack-a-doodle people.

Here's a hint:
If you are not educated in a specific subject, you should not have an opinion on the subject. Only a complete retard would formulate an opinion on something they are not qualified to understand. But that's what the internet has created.. idiots who think they know things.

1683652526508.png

Another quack-a-doodle website followed by quack-a-doodle people.

Here's a hint:
If you are not educated in a specific subject, you should not have an opinion on the subject. Only a complete retard would formulate an opinion on something they are not qualified to understand. But that's what the internet has created.. idiots who think they know things.

View attachment 148491

More fun if you address the data rather than just attacking the person/sources.

There are lots of predictions from the Global Warming alarmists that have not come true. They also tend to point to normal weather events and say they are due to climate change.

California being in drought is due to climate change, now that California has more than enough water its too much water and so that is also due to climate change. Basically, I am sure you can see how the those who stand the benefit financially by steering money away from fossil fuels, would have incentive to lie.

Essentially every weather event that results in any level of hardship is due to manmade climate change.

Sometimes, asshole and dumbass meet in society and bad things happen. I think both individuals are right were they should be.

:ROFLMAO:

That is how I looked at it. At worst, it was two fucktards looking for trouble who happened to cross each others paths and take each other out.

More fun if you address the data rather than just attacking the person/sources.

There are lots of predictions from the Global Warming alarmists that have not come true. They also tend to point to normal weather events and say they are due to climate change.

California being in drought is due to climate change, now that California has more than enough water its too much water and so that is also due to climate change. Basically, I am sure you can see how the those who stand the benefit financially by steering money away from fossil fuels, would have incentive to lie.

Essentially every weather event that results in any level of hardship is due to manmade climate change.

Yes and no.. There's a logical fallacy about attacking the person instead of the data, but if we break that logic down, what we find is that attacking THE PERSON is an invalid argument, but attacking a source is most certainly valid.

One of the things lawyers learned to do early on is to flood the opposition during discovery. When the plaintiff was looking for the smoking gun, bury it in a mountain of evidence so large that its like looking for a needle in a giant haystack. At best, they miss the information, at worst, they spend a lot of money and resources to find it. IE: Don't make it easy.

Today, that strategy has migrated to almost everything else. Want to spread false information? Create something that is 90% true and sneak in the other 10%.

This is the new information war, and it isn't directed at people like me, its directed at the uneducated and gullible who lack the relevant formal education to understand the science being attacked.

I don't have time to scour his link for the lie.. I have more important things to do.. (building a barn, changing brake pads on wife's car, change blades on mower today) And, more importantly, I already did this once with one of his favorite websites corbettreport-something or other.. I picked one article that my education qualified me (close enough) to look at, and I found the lie within 20 seconds.

Willing to teach him a lesson and educate him on how the misinformation works, I tried to engage him on that lie I found and he evaded the discussion like I evade Ebola.

An honorable person would have tried to defend the article, and either accepted victory or admitted defeat.. A dishonorable person, and none view themselves as dishonorable, will make internal mental excuses to avoid the discussion because in the back of their brain, that left over lizard part is telling them they're being intellectually trapped and they know it.

So what can I do? Exactly what I just did.. let people know the links he is posting are misinformation.. The guy is a fruitcake.. something seriously wrong with some of these people in this forum.. and I have to wonder if they own guns because they are totally quack-a-doodle in the head.

Stupid and evil can look just like each other sometimes.. and sometimes stupid leads to being evil.

Master Plan 3 - Synopsis​

First, the plan is considered “conservative” in that it is not making use of any new technologies. Those technologies will come, but any benefits are considered lagniappe.

The biggest savings comes from the fossil fuel industry itself:

…the global primary energy supply is 165 PWh/ year, and total fossil fuel supply is 134PWh/year1ab. 37% (61PWh) is consumed before making it to the end consumer. This includes the fossil fuel industries’ self-consumption during extraction/refining, and transformation losses during electricity generation. Another 27% (44PWh) is lost by inefficient end-uses such as internal combustion engine vehicles and natural gas furnaces. In total, only 36% (59PWh) of the primary energy supply produces useful work or heat for the economy.

So, rather than a starting point of 134 PWh/y, the replacement only needs to be 59 PWh/y. The report cites an analysis of the U.S. Energy supply by Lawrence Livermore National Lab’s that independently validates their analysis. That ripples through the economics, for example, far less energy storage is needed. But, as you'll see...they have a few tricks up their sleeve.

Section 01 – The Grid
The normal 65 PWh/y for the U.S. grid, when subtracting out fossil fuel “losses”, becomes 26 PWh/y.

The model assumes inter-regional transmission capabilities and expects 32% curtailment (e.g., systems overbuilt by a third). Otherwise, the numbers look similar to an LCOE plot. Solar, wind, nuclear, hydro, and geothermal were all evaluated for power generation. Nuclear and geothermal assumed no new builds, guessing that is mostly because of the price of existing systems.

A blend of old technologies with lithium-ion was evaluated for energy storage. Sodium ion and metal-air were not considered as none had been commercialized while the report was being written. The plan calls for 6.5 TWh of 8-hr Lithium storage (+800%), 6.9 TWh of industrial thermal storage (+1500%), and 107 TWh of Hydrogen storage. About a 1.7d reserve, which with regional interconnects and being overbuilt sounds reasonable.

The hydrogen storage over ESS might be because of lithium mining concerns. Certainly when studied Hydrogen typically loses to lithium. I suspect if sodium batteries are ready to go we can do away with a lot of the hydrogen storage.

Section 02 – EVs
No surprise, they use the Tesla Model 3 for efficiency numbers. The Model 3 is about 340 watts per mile, which seems about average efficiency. Some vehicles are a lot more efficient, for example, the Aptera only sips 100 watts per mile and with built-in panels might not ever need charging. So, their numbers do indeed seem conservative.

Surprisingly, they have data from their Class 8 trucks and found them 4.2x more efficient than their diesel brethren.

Section 3 - Heat Pumps
In their calculations they gave fossil fuels a 90% efficiency for heating, which is only possible with high-end systems; most are in the low 80s. So again conservative. They came up with heat pumps use 3x less energy than fossil fuels; which if you remember the earlier post on them doesn’t make sense for heat even with fossil fuel’s self-consumption losses. The reason for the much higher efficiency is they also factor in cooling, that is fossil fuels have an advantage for heat, but Carnot losses eat their lunch for cooling.

Section 04 - Electrify High Temperature Heat Delivery and Hydrogen Production
The plan takes into consideration that 55% of fossil fuel in the industrial sector are for processes that require high temperatures (>200C). Those temperatures are easily achieved electrically, but there are specialized low-cost techniques to bank heat rather than electrically via an ESS. The plan talks about a couple of them.

For Hydrogen, they are again conservative, but they went large.... really large. Hydrogen is indeed cheap to start up, but its round-trip efficiency is around 50%, so you have to overbuild your renewables a lot.

Previously I had only been thinking of hydrogen as a high-density fuel replacement where batteries don’t make sense (e.g., airplanes), but it turns out a substantial amount of hydrogen is needed for various chemical processes and is made from fossil fuels. By switching to electrolysis that can be replaced at a cost of 7.2 PWh/y, but replaces 8 PWh/y of fossil fuels.

They’re also making use of renewable availability. For example, hydrogen generation doesn’t need to run at night or on rainy days if there is sufficient storage for a few days. Techniques like this can greatly reduce the costs of ESSes.

Section 5 Sustainable fuel for Planes & Ships
According to the IEA, ocean shipping consumes 3.2PWh/year globally and aircraft 85B gallons/y of jet fuel. In total, synthesizing fuels for them requires +5 PWh/y, although they are sourcing the carbon from CO2 capture which increases the amount, again making it a conservative value. Interestingly, long-range/duration ships are recommended as 1 2 TWh for Ni/Mn based technology. Other ships would use 28 TWH of LFP. Short-range air travel would use 20 GWh of high nickel-based battery tech.

Section 06 Manufacturing the Sustainable Economy
This section looks at the costs to build the generation and storage needed to power a carbon-neutral system. In addition to the existing power, the report calculates an additional 4 PWh/y would be needed to manufacture the required batteries, solar panels, and wind turbines; a ~7% increase of global power production.

1683662888239.png

Investments
This section was quasi interesting to me in that ultimately it shows us saving money by making the switch. It also covers the expected new investments in exploration for key minerals and refining which I don’t recall seeing in other analyses. Finally, the investment sections also looks at setting up recycling for true life-cycle costs.

Land Area Required
I suspect this section made it in as land usage is often a criticism of renewables without examining how much land space is used by fossil fuels and associated equipment (e.g., mining, pipelines, refineries). As you can image, land use was fairly small over all.

Materials Required
This section looks fairly complete in that includes not only the devices (e.g., wind turbine), but also the concrete for support and wire for transmission. There were a number of materials being used today (e.g., Terbium) which are old-school and not really needed; some are quite exotic so it’s good they can be excluded from future designs.

While copper looked similar to prior estimates and was augmented with aluminum; nickel was quite low. It was only primarily in wind turbines and very little in batteries. Possibly it and lithium were greatly reduced due to the day-time hydrogen generation for storage.

Their analysis with material availability and mining shows that overall the discovery, mining, refining, and transport would decrease from current levels (primarily because those numbers are very high for fossil fuels).

1683662974102.png

This plot was interesting, there's a common misconception that the "global reserve" is all there is. It's not, it's just the tally as to what exists that is known and can be mined profitably. Because of new exploration and consumption, the number is always changing.

1683662986060.png

Last edited:
Section 3 - Heat Pumps
In their calculations they gave fossil fuels a 90% efficiency for heating, which is only possible with high-end systems; most are in the low 80s. So again conservative. They came up with heat pumps use 3x less energy than fossil fuels; which if you remember the earlier post on them doesn’t make sense for heat even with fossil fuel’s self-consumption losses. The reason for the much higher efficiency is they also factor in cooling, that is fossil fuels have an advantage for heat, but Carnot losses eat their lunch for cooling.
Problem is, heat pumps don't work in cold weather.. They're quite good at temperatures above 40 degrees, some even as low as 35.. But as soon as we get below freezing, heat pumps fail.. they are no longer efficient or reliable.. and the colder it gets, the worse the problem is.

Geothermal systems, which are also considered heat pumps, do work fine in freezing temps.. but for the heat pump technology to work, it has to use buried piping, which is stupidly expensive to install.

Section 06 Manufacturing the Sustainable Economy
This section looks at the costs to build the generation and storage needed to power a carbon-neutral system. In addition to the existing power, the report calculates an additional 4 PWh/y would be needed to manufacture the required batteries, solar panels, and wind turbines; a ~7% increase of global power production.

Due to the way things are manufactured these days, called "just in time delivery", a whole lot of energy is wasted in processing. Because manufacturers don't want to store materials, in order to reduce the need for more warehousing, most manufacturing is done on an "when needed" basis.
This is problematic because a lot of manufacturing systems, that is the machine processes needed to manufacture a part, require a warm up and stabilization time before they are ready to be used. It's a bit like a diesel farm tractor.. you can't just start it and go to work, you have to let the engine warm up for a while before its ready....

So smaller industrial manufacturers are forced to start and stop their processes, which wastes a lot of energy.. quite frequently, more energy is wasted in the start up process than what it takes to actually process the parts.

Problem is, heat pumps don't work in cold weather..
In theory, they can work at lower temperatures ... if you have the right refrigerant at the right pressures or multiple stages. But it is true that "standard" heat pumps lose efficiency below 40 and won't work at all below 20ish and "standard" are inexpensive. Most have electrical heat strips to augment them.

Those are also using "air" temperature. In colder climates, you can use ground heat. The ground holds a lot of heat and stays warmer than the air. I saw you mentioned geothermal heat pumps, but I tend to think of those as being somewhat deeper. I'm thinking of the ones you just bulldoze/scrape up a few feet of earth and then set it back down... less complicated than digging a basement.

How about home nuclear fusion for heat? Build a Fusion Reactor : 7 Steps ; -)

... [geothermal] has to use buried piping, which is stupidly expensive to install...
I just posted a while back a video about a Canadian company that had a new drill rig that was supposed to make it cheaper, but they only have a few test plots so no idea how practical it is. Also saw some things about impact drill heads that make boring simpler/cheaper. So possibly it's coming. Although, after Sabine's video about the dangers of this; I don't know that it's something to seriously consider.

Problem is, heat pumps don't work in cold weather.. They're quite good at temperatures above 40 degrees, some even as low as 35.. But as soon as we get below freezing, heat pumps fail.. they are no longer efficient or reliable.. and the colder it gets, the worse the problem is.

Geothermal systems, which are also considered heat pumps, do work fine in freezing temps.. but for the heat pump technology to work, it has to use buried piping, which is stupidly expensive to install.
Geothermal heat pumps cost an average of $13,000–$36,000 for both the unit and installation. Though extremely efficient in the long-term, they have high startup costs because of the extensive work required for installation.

In theory, they can work at lower temperatures ... if you have the right refrigerant at the right pressures or multiple stages. But it is true that "standard" heat pumps lose efficiency below 40 and won't work at all below 20ish and "standard" are inexpensive. Most have electrical heat strips to augment them.

Those are also using "air" temperature. In colder climates, you can use ground heat. The ground holds a lot of heat and stays warmer than the air. I saw you mentioned geothermal heat pumps, but I tend to think of those as being somewhat deeper. I'm thinking of the ones you just bulldoze/scrape up a few feet of earth and then set it back down... less complicated than digging a basement.

How about home nuclear fusion for heat? Build a Fusion Reactor : 7 Steps ; -)

I just posted a while back a video about a Canadian company that had a new drill rig that was supposed to make it cheaper, but they only have a few test plots so no idea how practical it is. Also saw some things about impact drill heads that make boring simpler/cheaper. So possibly it's coming. Although, after Sabine's video about the dangers of this; I don't know that it's something to seriously consider.
The refrigerant isn't the problem.

Heat pumps work exactly like, but opposite of, air conditioners. Try thinking of it in these terms.. "There is no such thing as cold, only a lack of energy".. In thermodynamic engineering, that phrase means everything.. its the golden rule, numero uno on the list of things to learn.

Cold and hot, as humans commonly describe things, are terms for our comfort.. they have nothing to do with science.

An air conditioner doesn't cool your home by pumping cold air into it, it cools the home by pumping energy out of the home. We interpret that energy as heat and we interpret the lack of energy as cold.

A heat pump, which is just an air conditioner going the opposite direction, pulls in hot air (energy) from outside and transfers it into the home. In order to do this, it must make the air outside colder than it already is.. There's no free lunch.

It exchanges the heat in heat pump mode the same way it does in air conditioning mode, by passing air over that funny looking radiator that's on the outside of the house.

Problem is, when it gets cold outside, that radiator must get colder than the air around it.. and when it dips below freezing, water vapor begins to ice up on it.. when the ice builds up and clogs all the passage ways the fan is blowing air through, the unit stops working.

The same problem happens to air conditioners when the evaporator fan motor quits.. the evaporator keeps trying to remove energy from the refrigerant but there isn't enough air passing over the coils, so ice forms and it stops working.

The short answer is: Its not the refrigerant, its the condenser coils freezing up that stops heat pumps from working in the winter. Ground loop systems don't have air-exchange condenser coils so they don't have the same problem.. but again, the ground loops are stupidly expensive.

Modern heat pumps like mini-splits attempt to mitigate this freezing problem defrost cycles that are supposed to melt the ice off the condenser coils.. but two problems exist with this... 1) you're heat pump is not working when its in "defrost mode", and 2) at that point, you might as well just use an electric space heater inside the home because all the energy savings have just been wasted.

I wanted a mini-split so bad.. but they're just not ready for Michigan winters. Would still make a nice air conditioner..

Geothermal heat pumps cost an average of $13,000–$36,000 for both the unit and installation. Though extremely efficient in the long-term, they have high startup costs because of the extensive work required for installation.

That's a very high cost.. money that would probably be much better spent by replacing windows and upgrading insulation.

I just replaced all the windows in my home with some high tech stuff and have been amazed at the difference. The windows no longer get cold in the bitter winter wind.

Back