diy solar

diy solar

CATL 271Ah cell issues.

Yep... I followed the "Step and pause" process in the document "Top Balancing LiFePo4 Cells using a low cost benchtop power supply" from the resources going to 3.60V. Just recharging the pack and waiting to see if the cells do come out together. Having read elsewhere that cells that aren't matched have a habit of going out of balance to the point that the BMS can't balance I have also decided to invest in a 1.2A Active balancer which isn't fitted yet but will be once I acquire my solar panels and B2B charger and fit it all in the van.
What Active Balancer did you choose?

What Active Balancer did you choose?
I picked one with an LED so that I can see it is doing something as some of them have no indicator (although probably won't be able to see that when it is packaged in the van).. Haven't tried it yet though so can't give any feedback on whether it is OK. From first look the leads are a bit short - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/274784760651 I am in UK but the same/similar are available on Aliexpress or Amazon and I would guess eBay in the US depending on where you are. My pack is 3/4 charged from my capacity test and at the moment all the cells are within 0.002 of a volt according to the BMS.

This guy does pack them well and does the right thing with damage.
Apparently your order and at least one other one that has been delivered that were from him were in a shared container. One of the boxes that another supplier had in there caught fire and lots of damage was done to the boxes that were hastily pulled/thrown out of the container. No idea why they would go ahead and deliver any of them that were beat up like that.

I will ask him about the 2.907v cell tonight......................was the voltage that they were shipped at on the label?

Update.....my supplier says that the 2.907v cells should not be any problem at all.
Hey Michael,
You said the Supplier of my cells "does the right thing with damage"...

Based on your past experience, how long should I expect my damaged shipment take to be resolved since it came from your "Main Supplier"?

I emailed the pictures and information to you 8 days ago and have not received any feedback yet, except that the pictures are ok (last week)...

I am hoping that your "Main Supplier" will be more responsive than the "New Supplier" that screwed up the rest of these guys orders.

BTW, thanks for being a man of your word with me and "making things right" with the multitude of hiccups we encountered along the way with my order. I for one appreciate that your dealing with the damaged shipment and Chinese suppliers with your buying clout rather than me.

I don't envy you having to fix such a huge cluster F' at once with so many orders and 3 different shippers... But again, I do appreciate it!

Hello all. I want my money back. This just has not worked out the way I thought it would. I bought thru friends and family so have no hope there. Without reading a million posts and threads, what do I have to do?

just got mine today (mid july order of 16x 280ah), i think I'm luckier than most here, no bus bars or screws, going to do top balancing and capacity tests and see if they are usable, they seem to be new cells with qr codes intact (peeled one back to check if a fake one was on top) if anyone knows by the qr code are these 280AH or 271AH

Attachments

• PXL_20211004_173937923.jpg
    PXL_20211004_173937923.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 51
  • PXL_20211004_173522982.jpg
    PXL_20211004_173522982.jpg
    223.9 KB · Views: 49
  • PXL_20211004_173516228.jpg
    PXL_20211004_173516228.jpg
    140.3 KB · Views: 43
  • PXL_20211004_171144078.jpg
    PXL_20211004_171144078.jpg
    158.6 KB · Views: 43
  • PXL_20211004_170914879.jpg
    PXL_20211004_170914879.jpg
    222.2 KB · Views: 44
  • PXL_20211004_170316937.jpg
    PXL_20211004_170316937.jpg
    239.6 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
just got mine today (mid july order of 16x 280ah), i think I'm luckier than most here, no bus bars or screws, going to do top balancing and capacity tests and see if they are usable, they seem to be new cells with qr codes intact (peeled one back to check if a fake one was on top) if anyone knows by the qr code are these 280AH or 271AH
Jeez. Whoever packed these at the supplier should be shot. If the supplier simply did not cheap out on packaging, none of these issues would have happened. They should be 100% liable.

ok so after waiting all this time, they want a count of now many cells for each of you fall in each catagory:

For this abnormality, we first suggest you the following operations:
1. Please tell you each customer to check all the batteries, and count the 0 voltage, leakage, and serious deformation to us,
2. Slight pits and insulation The skin is damaged and there is no leakage. Products with normal voltage are recommended to your customers as much as possible. I have confidence in the safety and reliability of the products we provide. At the same time, we will seek compensation from the freight forwarder to minimize the loss of you and your customers.
3. According to the products you provide with 0 voltage, leakage, and serious deformation in Article 1, we will be able to give you the best packaging, the best quality, and the most reasonable speed.

I assume that 3 means that for those cells they plan on providing replacements. Again, if this ends up being the case I will be having an Alibaba representative check what is being sent before the boxes are sealed up and they will check the packaging too.
I have 8 damaged cells with swelling, as well as the skin is a mess. I also have 8 I never received. Outside of asking for a refund, what do you want me to do @Michael B Caro ?

Hello all. I want my money back. This just has not worked out the way I thought it would. I bought thru friends and family so have no hope there. Without reading a million posts and threads, what do I have to do?
I think it depends on "IF" .

IF your cells have not shipped yet, I believe Michael holds your funds. Once the supplier ships, Michael pays them.

So, IF you have a tracking number or were told by Michael your order shipped, all you can do is wait for the suppliers response.

IF you don't have any indication of shipment , you need to reach out to Michael until he responds in private messages and email to stop the order as soon as possible.

I have 8 damaged cells with swelling, as well as the skin is a mess. I also have 8 I never received. Outside of asking for a refund, what do you want me to do @Michael B Caro ?
I believe Michael can only refund or replace product IF he gets some kind of compensation from his supplier.

I believe Michael can only refund or replace product IF he gets some kind of compensation from his supplier.
What about the money he made on these damaged cells. He could refund that as a good will gesture while people wait for final outcome. Michael doesn't deserve a commission on bad cells. He can refund money on orders not yet shipped.

What about the money he made on these damaged cells. He could refund that as a good will gesture while people wait for final outcome. Michael doesn't deserve a commission on bad cells. He can refund money on orders not yet shipped.
Mine were all shipped, but 2 boxes recalled by the sender.... over a month ago. And the 8 cells I did get are scarey looking

Mine were all shipped, but 2 boxes recalled by the sender.... over a month ago. And the 8 cells I did get are scarey looking
I just received 8 more CATL 280 cells today. Ordered in July. From the vendor I spoke with Michael about a few times, as they were shipping when others were not, and the price was $98 per cell. He decided to go with "his" vendor instead.
These came with busbars and welded M6 studs( I asked for tapped, not welded. Oh well)
Charging now to do a capacity test. These are from Shenzhen Jidian. It also seems that Amy from Doucan is shipping a good product now also with the EVE 304's, and they are coming from their Texas warehouse!

Attachments

• 20211005_153630.jpg
    20211005_153630.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 31
  • 20211005_153635.jpg
    20211005_153635.jpg
    150.9 KB · Views: 30
Anyone else still waiting for their cells? I ordered 16 310ah 5/21. Received tracking numbers 6/22. Still nothing. Ups shows “check back tomorrow”. No indication that they’ve been recalled.

Anyone else still waiting for their cells? I ordered 16 310ah 5/21. Received tracking numbers 6/22. Still nothing. Ups shows “check back tomorrow”. No indication that they’ve been recalled.
i had ups tracking number but then they came via fedex, i think that supplier ships to another entity in California that sorts it all out and ships from there

Be patient for 45-60 days minimum.

Check back tomorrow means they have not arrived or not been off loaded at the port. The ups number will go live once the cells are in UPS possession. At least as far as I have seen

I have had poor results with Chinese shipments that use Fed-X for U.S. internal leg of shipment. I don't know if they are using Fed-X as freight forwarder (most likely) or have a separate freight forwarder to help clear customs, but it always seems to only be with Fed-X when I have issues.

Freight forwarder agent is critical in getting package through customs and routed to U.S. delivery service.

Back