diy solar

diy solar

CATL Sodium Ion Cells

It will be interesting to watch and see if Sodium Ion catches on. If it does catch on, it will most likely be for grid or home storage first. He says it will be important for cars but I am not convinced it will catch on for cars very quickly. However, f it catches on for grid/home storage, it might ease the demand for lithium and make more lithium available for cars.

If you notice he gives a lot of maybe's and if's.

Back in the day we'd say "show me the money".... But back then we barely had debt.... :)

if/when its on the market is when to pay attention unless your investing in the company/product.

Yup. It is hard to get excited about each new "revolutionary breakthrough" in batteries.
I agree there are many unknowns regarding this chemistry and I would not go so far to say this is a revolutanary breakthrough based on what we know so far. I do find it exciting because it's something different... :) IF manufacturing does start by the end of July it should be fairly easy to get a spec sheet for these cells.

CATL states the cells will be comparable to LFE and lead acid but there are huge differences between those chemistries. I would really like to know the capacity based on size and weight, cycle life, C rates, DOD rates and all the other specs most of us love about LFE cells. CATL also states the cells will cost 30% less. Maybe they will come down even more as time goes on. We all know cost per kwh will be something to consider.

Can transport at 0 Volts potential held between terminals.
I caught that too and find it quite interesting.

I have two of the RT 40ah Valence batteries wired in parrallel. I know one was manufactured in 2013 and the other one is missing it's label and that one had almost the full capacity when I tested it. Between the two I get 94% capacity or 75ahs. I don't cycle them often but I am happy with the capacity considering their age and I have often wondered if the addition of magnesium is helping the cells as they age.

if they mine the sodium from renewable sources such as online discussions of new battery technology, the BOM could be an additional 30% lower ?

i want to test one. see how much it heats up at high C rate. see how easy it is to cool down. sounds fun to be able to treat it like a capacitor. wonder if holding it at 0V is a “do it 10 times or less” or “anytime is fine” thing

I'll be getting 200 kWh of Sodium-Ion as soon as they will take my money. I have 57 kWh of LiFePO4 now.

If it is really $5/kW vs $100/kW, I might as well just make it an even megaWatt/hour.

I sort of lost track of the progress of Sodium Ion cells. I looked into it some more today due to the discussion in the Bluetti thread.

I was surprised to find CATL has been manufacturing these cells since July of 2021 just like they said they would. And we can expect to see major improvements sometime in 2023. Most of us know CATL is on top of their game and they mean business.

I happened to run across the following video. I think the guy in the video does a great job of explaining how these cells work and improvements we can expect to see in the near future. Honestly I was fascinated by what he had to say and how well he explained everything....:)

I sort of lost track of the progress of Sodium Ion cells. I looked into it some more today due to the discussion in the Bluetti thread.

I was surprised to find CATL has been manufacturing these cells since July of 2021 just like they said they would. And we can expect to see major improvements sometime in 2023. Most of us know CATL is on top of their game and they mean business.

I happened to run across the following video. I think the guy in the video does a great job of explaining how these cells work and improvements we can expect to see in the near future. Honestly I was fascinated by what he had to say and how well he explained everything....:)

Interesting.... Everything sounds promising but as he said..... don't get too excited yet.

Most challengers to lithium-ion claim they are better and will revolutionize the world except for a few small little details that make them useless. If this video is right, it sounds like Sodium-Ion might actually be a viable contender. The mere fact that they are already in commercial production puts them way ahead of most of the wanna-be battery technologies.

From the details in the video, they are not ready to compete with lithium in most cars, but they may already be good enough to compete for stationary storage, and that is a large enough market that it could allow the technology to grow market share and have the economy of scale to be a contender.

It will be interesting to see if this takes off and becomes a true challenger to lithium.

On a related note: I have been looking at various articles and videos about battery recycling and at this point, the recycling technologies are marginally viable for chemistries with rare elements but are not commercially viable for things like LiFePO because they are not a source for the rare elements. I bring this up because a sodium Ion battery will probably not be very economical to recycle with today's technology and processes.

Last edited:
Back