diy solar

diy solar

Chargery instant shut off and heatup

Craig

Watts are Watts!
Staff member
So today i was testing my Chargery BMS. all the readouts seem to be working fine. I had 1 relay connected to the low voltage shut off side of the BMS output. And it was working as expected.

However low voltage shut off is not necessarily a problem for me right now but overvoltage is. So i decided yo move the relay from the low voltage side to the high voltage side. The first thing I did was disconnect the battery from the SCC when I did this the Chargery instantly turned off and started heating up. I mean too hot to touch and I think it may be blown.

Anybody have any ideas what happened. What I did should of been no different than what the chargery does when it shuts off charging.

The first thing I did was disconnect the battery from the SCC
Most SCC's have warnings about having an array connected (and powered) without a battery attached. All of my SCC's do. This has been bandied about on quite a few threads. There are some disbelievers in these warnings so please keep us posted on your results (fingers crossed for you).

Most SCC's have warnings about having an array connected (and powered) without a battery attached. All of my SCC's do. This has been bandied about on quite a few threads. There are some disbelievers in these warnings so please keep us posted on your results (fingers crossed for you).
The SCC is fine thats not the issue. The BMS a what fried

Not sure why taking out the solar charge controller would do that? I always just shut the chargery off with the external power switch. But I dont think I would have turned it off just to remove an external device such as a SCC.

I have a victron SCC connected with 2 BYD packs and 2 chargery BMS8T for testing and I take stuff on and off the DC side all the time and my 2 still live.

Was this on a BYD pack? If so did you use the PCB for chargery?

Last edited:
1) are you using the Battery as the power source for the BMS ?
2) did you turn off the BMS (power selector on side on main control unit) before furtling with it ?
3) did you mod any of the leads for the BMS harness ? and if so, did you test the entire line from connector to terminal end ? to verify that each wire was good. Even applies if you crimped / soldered end on
4) which part exactly got hot ?

I am using battery as power source.

Bms was on mine does not have on off switch version 1

Yes I tested every lead and they were working when I unhooked SCC

The box that connects to leads got hit not the remote display.

What I did was disconnect the positive lead from SCC I had 2 ring terminals attached together. I had set it up for the second relay to be connected to ring terminals but only had 1 relay plan was to insert it on SCC side of battery instead of Load side.

I don't understand how what I did is any different than the SCC shutting down or the BMS opening charge relay

The main BMS Control does not have an external power port with a switch next to it ? Hmmm

As I understand it, an SCC must have somewhere to dump it's juice at all times IF there is power coming into it from panels. Every doc I have read clearly says to shut off panels first so there is no input before messing with the wires. Panels off 1st, battery source off 2nd to complete power down SCC. If the SCC get's power from panels or ? nd it has nowhere to go, the SCC will cook itself, even the expensive Midnites. Magic Smoke = Lot's of Blue Air ! (in my case that's 5 languages of Blue Air, too colourful for most) ;)

As a rule, I always triple check every wire, connection, terminal, everything I make any changes to before using it. With the BMS, the batt harness wires once the ends are put on as well as everything else. Dbl fun for me, as I had to extend all the wiring in the harness by 4cm. and 35cm for the shunt.

bms8t-main module.JPG

The main BMS Control does not have an external power port with a switch next to it ? Hmmm

As I understand it, an SCC must have somewhere to dump it's juice at all times IF there is power coming into it from panels. Every doc I have read clearly says to shut off panels first so there is no input before messing with the wires. Panels off 1st, battery source off 2nd to complete power down SCC. If the SCC get's power from panels or ? nd it has nowhere to go, the SCC will cook itself, even the expensive Midnites. Magic Smoke = Lot's of Blue Air ! (in my case that's 5 languages of Blue Air, too colourful for most) ;)

As a rule, I always triple check every wire, connection, terminal, everything I make any changes to before using it. With the BMS, the batt harness wires once the ends are put on as well as everything else. Dbl fun for me, as I had to extend all the wiring in the harness by 4cm. and 35cm for the shunt.

View attachment 5357
My model is the 16t

I think it's a bit different.

View attachment 5357
Well it does have a selector switch going from battery power to external power. That switch is set to battery.

Well it does have a selector switch going from battery power to external power. That switch is set to battery.
Just double checked. ALL the "T" types have said switch, non T ones are different but now discontinued too, that's the older stuff.

If you flip that switch to external, it affectively shuts off the whole BMS, unless you have external power attached to it, obviously.

Last edited:
So they have discontinued the BMS16 :-(
Was looking at using an independant active balancer and was hoping to avoid any possible interference between the 1.2A passive balancing of the T model and the active balancer.....hope that is still possible.

So they have discontinued the BMS16 :-(
Was looking at using an independant active balancer and was hoping to avoid any possible interference between the 1.2A passive balancing of the T model and the active balancer.....hope that is still possible.

What do you mean "discontinued"?? Its still listed as a Product on their website .. http://www.chargery.com/BMS16.asp

MY BAD SORRY ! I was thinking of other models, things are changing and tbh I don't / can't keep up with everything all the time.
IE: Only spending much time on here today & tomorrow because I am literally snowed in for at least the next 24-36 hours, so catchup time & reading time after which my todo list will keep me busy for days during the daytime.

MY BAD SORRY ! I was thinking of other models, things are changing and tbh I don't / can't keep up with everything all the time.
IE: Only spending much time on here today & tomorrow because I am literally snowed in for at least the next 24-36 hours, so catchup time & reading time after which my todo list will keep me busy for days during the daytime.
Dont sweat it steve....you have put many onto the chargery units...you should be on a commission....lol

Back