diy solar

diy solar

Chargeverter Availability? (Early 2024)

Yes, the lack of knowledge can make for expensive lessons.

I call this TUITION

for the 25 years I have been in DIY solar implementions, my designs and research still have cost me about 20% tuition fees for the wrong decision choices, but I still did 80% correct. IMHO not bad

Doing the research, gathering as much information as possible then proceeding with the design and the implementation does save $$. Today so much better tech and tech information is available that the DIYer can do very well. Yet, wisdom comes from poor experiences and helps to gain understanding

Emotional purchases can get you into expensive follies

RS485 comms and dry contact generator control by SOC or voltage.

I would've liked to see the ability for other devices to control the chargeverter on/off by dry contact. But I probably wasn't in the market for one anyway.

And I agree with @G00SE, huge color upgrade.

using my inverter's dry contact to turn on/off incoming AC to chargeverter now. great new feature IMHO

If the V2 costs more, I hope that the V1 isn't discontinued.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
This. Skimming the thread, looks like this is not the case, but I wish it were. Far too often, we're forced to take features we don't need. I'm not upset by it, and for the new build I'll likely buy at least three. But I do wish i could just keep the extra $ in my pocket and have a simpler device.

Not sure I get the real benefit of the upgraded electronics. Don't most battery capable inverters already have 2-wire gen start capability? If so, the why not use that? When generator provides power to the CV, it should turn on and start supplying power to the battery.

I could see a use case for double conversion UPS. CV isolates the Inverter from the Grid, and cycles the battery between 50-80%.

Listed my CV v1 for sale.

Not sure I get the real benefit of the upgraded electronics. Don't most battery capable inverters already have 2-wire gen start capability? If so, the why not use that? When generator provides power to the CV, it should turn on and start supplying power to the battery.
Could be like if you have a stack of Lifepower4's in open loop with an inverter due to comms incompatibility, this way you could close loop the battery bank to the chargeverter for accurate SOC triggers.

So I placed an order for the original version a little over a week ago. Was informed it is on backorder. What version will I be getting?
It will be the V1. Any that were ordered before the release of the V2 yesterday will be the V1 version. If you'd like to DM me your order number, I can check on the status of your delivery :)

Reactions: JAS
Not sure I get the real benefit of the upgraded electronics. Don't most battery capable inverters already have 2-wire gen start capability?
I’d assume margins. Retail 80 more for maybe a dollar or two more in parts

Why not offer both? Especially if v1 is still being shipped
I suspect the really long backorder status indicates issues getting the major component(s) so it is more of a "we have to do this" and the new features are not the goal just a side effect.

Additionally, the unit I've been calling a V2 is actually a new product,
Why not offer both? Especially if v1 is still being shipped
We have one more shipment of the previous model coming in to fulfill the backorders, however, we will not be receiving any more thereafter.

My use case is suited to a "Chargverter LITE" (Back shed where I can only supply a 120V when needed, not a generator) so this V2 is likely overkill. Wonder what options are out there. Will look for someone dumping the V1 once the influencers get their videos up.

I actually have use case for both versions...

Old version: (which I ordered) will work perfect for my off-grid cabin. When I'm running generator, I want to be charging.

New version: Would work great for home where for logistical reasons I don't want to feed AC -In to my Inverter/Charger and I didn't really want the chargeverter to always be charging

I actually have use case for both versions...

Old version: (which I ordered) will work perfect for my off-grid cabin. When I'm running generator, I want to be charging.

New version: Would work great for home where for logistical reasons I don't want to feed AC -In to my Inverter/Charger and I didn't really want the chargeverter to always be charging
absolutely, "Chargerverter Embedded Pro" vs. "Charverter OG",

If the new Chargeverter will have battery communications, is there any communication to the remote app ?

Wonder what options are out there.

This is one of the reasons I like DIY. Yes, it's more work, and yes, not everyone has the skills, but if you do - it offers so much flexibility and you're not reliant on a product that can go away at any time. Like the ones we're building with Emerson R48, Eltek Flatpack2, etc. - you can add as many as you want, control them through CAN or not, add a display or not, etc.

Not for everyone, but maybe worth considering if you have the skills.

Back