diy solar

diy solar

Charging rate when full?

bobdelso

I have 8, 290ah Eve lifep04 cells in a 24v pack with a jbd bms. I use a mpp solar 24lv unit with 1200 watts of solar.

I changed my charge controller settings to 27.4 float and cv as it was limiting my solar input. I went from 400 watts to 900 watts when charging.

however, my batteries are still taking full charge at roughly 98% capacity, 15 amp rate. Cell voltage is 3.35. At 100% capacity, 288 ah/290 and 3.37 voltage per cell it was still taking 5 amps charge.

it's it normal for the batteries to charge at 100-500 watts until 3.4 volts per cell? Just seems a bit much

Until cells get above 3.5v while being charge it should take everything you toss at it.

You said the SOC was 98%, how are you determining that SOC, via BMS or a smart shunt?

Last edited:
Mine keeps charging like that because if it stops charging voltage drops.
Like MisterSandals is asking about, you probably don't know the resting voltage.
I like it stay around 3.4V per cell for a couple hours everyday so my balancer can have some time to work

Until cells get above 3.5v while being charge it should take everything you toss at it.

You said the SOC was 98%, how are you determining that SOC, via BMS or a smart shunt?

Bms smart shunt tracking ah and state of charge via voltage. Appears that my voltage levels are a bit off the real % charge and my cells are probably closer to 300ah capacity instead of 290.

Seems like it's working as normal, thanks

Back