diy solar

diy solar

cheap/simple device to measure actual power used by HVAC- building solar just to run AC

Your going to have to figure the watts yourself based on your installed equipment. Not that hard.

Another idea is to add a simple separate mini split system. And run it off Solar with a medium battery bank. You should be able to run some numbers based on what’s on the spec sheet. There are even DC splits.

I'm going to rephrase my question, Ya'll know what I'm trying to accomplish, I figure if it works in August it will work the rest of the year.

So, let's say we have a 3 ton mini split, 23 SEER that pulls 7 amps so it needs 1800 watts 16 hours a day and the sun is out for 14 of those hours. It's running full blast 80% of the time from 10am to 9PM and maybe 50% for the remaining hours. and the panels are at the optimal angle for that latitude in August.

What do i need for solar wattage and battery capacity to meet that load?

Don't be mislead by "sun out hours"

1800W * .8*11h = 15.84kWh
900W * 5h = 4.5kWh

Round up to 21kWh

You'll need 4000-5000W of PV
You'll need up to 21kWh to allow for a single day without enough sun.

Good news is that minisplits don't typically work like that. They run full blast to achieve set temp and then simply use only as much power is needed to maintain. If you have good insulation, your consumption will be lower.

Don't be mislead by "sun out hours"

Yes, that is exactly the question. I am conversant in ohms law but solar mathi is a little less tangible and the information is fuzzy. It says my location has 4.5 hours of sun. Does that mean daily average? Does it mean i'll only get the rated wattage for 4.5 hours on a sunny day in august? How much will output reduce in the remaining hours of daylight?

Yes, that is exactly the question. I am conversant in ohms law but solar mathi is a little less tangible and the information is fuzzy. It says my location has 4.5 hours of sun. Does that mean daily average? Does it mean i'll only get the rated wattage for 4.5 hours on a sunny day in august? How much will output reduce in the remaining hours of daylight?

It means you multiply your solar array power by 4.5h to get kWh. This assumes the panels are oriented due south and at an optimal tilt with zero shading from sunrise to sunset.

It is likely an average annual value. Link #1 in my signature references two sites that will give you monthly breakdown by hour.

Example of my system's location in AZ using the PVWatts link:

1681529517724.png

But days without sun require a lot less AC.

Not sure about you, but I've been in some pretty hot weather when the sun was behind clouds. Still need A/C.

Which segues to another question, how mush does output diminish under various cloud conditions?

You're catching on. Panel almost never put outs rated power even in perfect sun. The sun hitting the panels increases their temperature. The increased temperature lowers their operating voltage. Since power is Volts * Amps, the power is less. Many panels have a NOCT rating that is more "real world," and you should use those values for any expectation for what the sun can power.

The PVWatt site takes into account your average weather conditions. You can download hourly data into a CSV file and look at the actual day to day variation.

You either use general guidelines for system design, or you gather a year's worth of data, design accordingly and hope that every year is like the last.

Planning helps avoid two things:
1) An under-spec system that fails to meet your needs.
2) An over-spec system that costs way more than you needed.

Iotawatt with one 50 amp sensor per heat pump will tell you all you need. It'll save the data to the internal sd card and store up to 15 years worth of data.

Im using 6 255 watt panels and a
Iotawatt with one 50 amp sensor per heat pump will tell you all you need. It'll save the data to the internal sd card and store up to 15 years worth of data.
Im not a brand fan but I would think for the average user the emporia would be the better choice at $165 vs $314 for the iotawatt.

Both basically serve the same purpose from what I can tell. The iotawatt is better if offline is a must and or having the data local only.

But just from a measuring standpoint the emporia is about 1/2 the price and can measure 16 circuits besides the mains where the iotawatt just does 10 circuits besides the mains though the unit shows 14 plugs on the box but claims 10 sensors come with it looking at the website.

Simple inexpensive energy monitor Emporia Vue 2 has seconds, minutes, hours, days, weeks and month data logging of Watts and Amps. You will need this data to determine the battery capacity needed to run overnight.

Start up surge on the compressor can be cut by up to 70% with a soft starter. Mico-Air or HyperEngineering are two brands I know of.
One word of caution about Vue or any product with cloud service for that matter, it is only a matter of time before the company (emporia) decides to move more and more features behind a firewall (other chinese manufacturers would just disconnect their cloud service making your investment a paperweight) - Remember philips vue and many other products
It was very easy for me to 'upgrade' the vue to esphome and have local monitoring with home assistant (sadly no native web interface for esphome/vue but it is coming)
Once it is integrated with home assistant, i can have full energy dashboard as well as forecast and ability to program loads (once I have smart circuit breakers or wifi controllable thermostats). Possibilities are endless

Im using 6 255 watt panels and a

Im not a brand fan but I would think for the average user the emporia would be the better choice at $165 vs $314 for the iotawatt.

Both basically serve the same purpose from what I can tell. The iotawatt is better if offline is a must and or having the data local only.

But just from a measuring standpoint the emporia is about 1/2 the price and can measure 16 circuits besides the mains where the iotawatt just does 10 circuits besides the mains though the unit shows 14 plugs on the box but claims 10 sensors come with it looking at the website.
Iotawatt can do 12 circuits besides mains or 14 total , but he doesn't need to buy 14 sensors. He only needs one for each heat pump so he would save money.

I monitor a system where there isn't internet yet so the iotawatt made more sense and is also simpler to install. I believe the built in graphing also shows more data than the emporia.

For example, does emporia have a way to add math channels? Eg if you want to show total use minus monitored circuits?

I want to build something similar to Level 2 charge a Tesla. I really doubt that what I’m asking for is cheap. For me the requirement would be a 6 kw load for two hours a day. The battery pack would be 15 kWh.

It would be hard to build that for less than $10k by myself, once all the real costs are figured in. This will get me around 40 miles a day of charging. One of the things keeping the cost high is the need to have UL rated equipment and permitting.

Iotawatt can do 12 circuits besides mains or 14 total , but he doesn't need to buy 14 sensors. He only needs one for each heat pump so he would save money.

I monitor a system where there isn't internet yet so the iotawatt made more sense and is also simpler to install. I believe the built in graphing also shows more data than the emporia.

For example, does emporia have a way to add math channels? Eg if you want to show total use minus monitored circuits?
Installation is actually the same hardware wise. The two units look identical to me (I actually figured they were clones of each other at first glance) and the software is simpler on the emporia. As for seeing total use minus the monitored ones thats what the balance field shows if Im understanding what you mean.

I want to build something similar to Level 2 charge a Tesla. I really doubt that what I’m asking for is cheap. For me the requirement would be a 6 kw load for two hours a day. The battery pack would be 15 kWh.
Are you trying to charge a Tesla with a 15kWh battery pack or are you trying to put 15kWhs into your Tesla? The cost difference would be significant.

Are you trying to charge a Tesla with a 15kWh battery pack or are you trying to put 15kWhs into your Tesla? The cost difference would be significant.
The 15 kWh battery pack would be needed since most of my charging will be done after panels would stop producing. Work requires me to be away from the house during the day.

I think what the OP wants is something similar Especially if the goal is to run HVAC both day and night in cloudy weather and at night. A battery pack can get pretty expensive for this.

If installed grid tied with no battery, for planning prior to a quote I would use $12k to $15k for the install prior to rebates.

Most ways I see this to reach the end goal are pretty expensive.

Installation is actually the same hardware wise. The two units look identical to me (I actually figured they were clones of each other at first glance) and the software is simpler on the emporia. As for seeing total use minus the monitored ones thats what the balance field shows if Im understanding what you mean.
How are the analytics? Can you see min max average for a time frame? For example the last 30 mins?

I'm asking if you can do that with emporia vue- I don't think so
I have an Emporia and the analystics are good. I can see data in graph form that allows me to see min and max. I don't recall if average is actually calculated over a thirty minute period but it can be inferred from the graph. Raw data can be exported and you can run any averages if you put it in a spreadsheet.

I have an Emporia and the analystics are good. I can see data in graph form that allows me to see min and max. I don't recall if average is actually calculated over a thirty minute period but it can be inferred from the graph. Raw data can be exported and you can run any averages if you put it in a spreadsheet.
Iotawatt shows it with actual numbers for any time period you want, which I like. It can also export to csv.

It was a little more expensive but I liked the features out of the box a bit better than Vue.

How much data does Vue store? Does it store data even if not connected to internet?

Back