diy solar

diy solar

Check my work time, version 1.0!

Rednecktek

Solar Wizard
OK Guys, I think I've got this all figured out and drawn up as best I can in Paint (I thought I had Visio, guess not).

Notes:
The MPPT Topping Charger is for keeping the batteries topped up when I'm gone for 6 or 7 months at a time. I couldn't get the lines to connect in Paint but it will connect to the bus blocks.

The breaker will also be used as the main disconnect to power off the system when I leave. The only load on the batteries should be the MPPT for the topping panels and the 12w lights if anyone goes in there.

The motion control lights are so if someone gets there after dark, they'll be able to see what they're doing once they step into the utility room. Why? Because they're already installed and I don't want to track down 24v motion detecting lights when the converter is only $15.

6x 120Ah FLA batteries in a 2s/3p config. Each pair will have its own connection to the bus blocks. I can only physically fit 6 batteries so I'd rather have the 180Ah @24v than only 60Ah @48v. Even then I'm gonna be overhanging the shelf an inch or two.

Yes, that's actually how that 70a 24v->12v converter is supposed to be wired. Weird for me too.

Last power audit put me at about 1000w Everything-On-At-Once load, I'm hoping to add in a 120v 1100w Mini-Split later and run it with the generator assisting.

I'm already over budget as it is, gonna have to cut back on other stuff even reusing what I can from the old system, so Lithium batteries are right out.

Generator cord into the AIO AC-In, AC-Out wires to the 120v power panel inside.

Parts are already in the cart, just want to make sure I'm not missing anything before I hit the Checkout button..

Attachments

• Camp Wiring v1.jpg
    Camp Wiring v1.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
...I thought I had Visio, guess not...
A number of members have recommended their favorite drawing tools in the wiki Drawing Tools.

6x 120Ah FLA batteries in a 2s/3p config.
FLA? If you're gone for long periods is the electrolyte level a problem?

Last power audit put me at about 1000w Everything-On-At-Once load,
Put watt-hours in your audit, mainly to confirm your battery and panels as everything probably won't run flat out all day long.

I'm hoping to add in a 120v 1100w Mini-Split later and run it with the generator assisting.
That'll be a fun project, hope you post on it!

I'm already over budget as it is, gonna have to cut back on other stuff even reusing what I can from the old system, so Lithium batteries are right out.
Check this thread out for ideas, guy built a DIY 10 kW system with 28 kWh of battery in finland for $12k USD.

FLA? If you're gone for long periods is the electrolyte level a problem?
Hopefully not, but it only has to not be a problem for about a year or so until I can afford to swap the whole bank out with AGM's. Considering how cold it gets up there Lith's would seem likely to have different/more expensive problems and it's only an hour's drive to get a replacement FLA or AGM.

Put watt-hours in your audit, mainly to confirm your battery and panels as everything probably won't run flat out all day long.

I'll be re-doing my power audit here in another month or so when I get home from Korea and head back up there. I didn't know how to do a proper power audit the last time I did one so all I got was the running amps with everything on via the breaker.

A number of members have recommended their favorite drawing tools in the wiki Drawing Tools.
You've never seen me draw a curved line with a T-Square and 2 C-Clamps. :)

Oh yes, when I get home after revamping this setup there WILL be pics!

Back