diy solar

diy solar

Close call.

Curious as to what happens if a DIY solar set up that does not meet electrical code, starts a fire, that starts a wild fire, that burns down acres of forest, other people's houses, businesses, livestock, public infrastructure etc.?

It seems unlikely that a DIY that refuses to or cannot afford to meet safety regulations could compensate for all the damage that their "FU let me do it my way off the grid systems" cause and which the general public would suffer from and or be liable for?

Curious as to what happens if a DIY solar set up that does not meet electrical code, starts a fire, that starts a wild fire, that burns down acres of forest, other people's houses, businesses, livestock, public infrastructure etc.?

It seems unlikely that a DIY that refuses to or cannot afford to meet safety regulations could compensate for all the damage that their "FU let me do it my way off the grid systems" cause and which the general public would suffer from and or be liable for?
I wonder how Thor avoids being prosecuted and sued for property loss. Look at all the fires and property damage he causes with careless tossing about of lightning.

The recent devastation in Hawaii is another case that someone somewhere needs to be held responsible. I blame Pele. I wonder when they are going to place her under arrest?

I’m all for that except users always seem to impact the rest of society. Driving while messed up is the biggest issue I have. There’s also walking ones too. I’m swerving around zombies as it is. Ahh life and the walking dead in California cities.
DUIs are a thing and would still apply.

Walking in the street. Well I guess that would be considered a nuisance but as long as they got out of the way then no harm.
If they become violent then different story.

As long as taking said drugs didn’t negatively affect someone else then I say let them do it.

It would solve more problems than it creates.
My opinion obviously.

The solar patrol is usually not out flying the County on Saturday mornings searching for illegal solar installations. So I had the camouflage netting down off my solar panels to maximize my solar production when I heard the ominous "Whup-whup" of helicopter blades coming up the Valley. It was quite the scramble to cover everything back up so as to go undetected. Being detected would lead to the inevitable Power co. raid with dogs, meters and machine gun toting Linemen.

Just last week a illegal solar installation was shutdown and the owner was arrested. The heavy fines and multi year prison sentences are a real deterrent to going "Green" these days. Sure a person can go "legit" and have the authorities grant permission but it takes many bribes or a friend in high places to get a hold of a interconnect agreement. Those that don't have to worry about having their own family, friends or neighbors turn them in on the reward call line.

Those of us old enough remember recall when there was little regulation and more of a Wild West type of approach to having PV. That was a great time of innovation and experimentation. Those days are fading now. Small fold-able one or two panel setups with "solar generators" that you can keep hidden from the power cops is about all you can get away with now.
What the heck are you talking about ?? Where is this?! Are you in China or North Korea?

As long as you aren’t hurting or affecting someone else in a negative manner then yes.
Burden on society. Sleeping on the sidewalk in front of some else's property. Why should I pay for food stamps for you because you can't hold down a job because of your addiction? Should I pay for the extra cost of Healthcare for a smoker with cancer?

What the heck are you talking about ?? Where is this?! Are you in China or North Korea?
Hmm I wonder what kind of regulations China has on individuals setting up solar arrays and either being off grid or connecting up to a public one? I don't imagine NK people have much of an option available to them being so poor that they can not afford to eat most days.

There are a surprising amount of jurisdictions in the good ole USA where a person can not do much of anything without getting approval to do it.

Burden on society. Sleeping on the sidewalk in front of some else's property. Why should I pay for food stamps for you because you can't hold down a job because of your addiction? Should I pay for the extra cost of Healthcare for a smoker with cancer?
When did I say you had to pay for them?

You are confusing revoking a law with some social Ideology.

Are you not paying for the homeless and drug addicted now anyway?

I would bet half the incarcerated population is for drug use, drug possession, drug distribution or crimes committed to get drugs.

Criminalization of Drugs is not good for anyone.

The mentally ill are always going to be with us.
If that’s a concern then get Mental institutions reinstated.

Be an interesting couple of years but would eventually level out.

Last edited:
After this does anyone still have any doubts that they only thing they are looking for is control over you? The absolute thing that they hate more than anything is when you do not depend on them.
Some people are so gullible...

Thanks to OP for posting, but you might want to move this to the humour section as people believe it.

Back