diy solar

diy solar

Code of Conduct Addition?

Status
Not open for further replies.
When did that change? I could edit my own posts not even a week ago.

When the post was a couple hours old.

Edit: HRTKD, you're wrong.
(I edited this after your post appeared below)

Derpsy - try editing your recent post above.

When the post was a couple hours old.

Edit: HRTKD, you're wrong.
(I edited this after your post appeared below)

Derpsy - try editing your recent post above.
I am able to (I have the edit button). I wonder if when a thread gets moved, permissions get mucked up somehow.

Yep, I can still edit. So it must be time based.

On other forums I'm on, I have a long time to edit posts. However, the edited post also contains a new line that says when the post was last edited. We don't get that edit date on this forum.

Yep, I can still edit. So it must be time based.

On other forums I'm on, I have a long time to edit posts. However, the edited post also contains a new line that says when the post was last edited. We don't get that edit date on this forum.
If one edits one’s post within a very short time of posting, the edit date does not appear. Maybe a few minutes window at most.

If editing after a while, it adds the edit date.

If editing after a long time, one uses report and ask admin.

edit: this was not in the original post but there’s no edit date. edited the post within one minute of posting.

It is time based.

Personally I dislike not being able to edit my posts (hate typos, they interfere with my OCD happiness quotient); if I wasn't a mod with that ability I'd probably stop posting (more likely the mods would kick me off for requesting so many changes). We've flip-flopped on having it on/off a couple of times.... having a time limit seems the lesser of evils.

The idea is to give someone enough time to fix typos and stuff, but not allow revisionist history. This way the content in a thread flows more naturally.

But it also blocks useful things, for example I edit the first post in An Enphase Ensemble Installation every month with the previous month's power generation - it's useful for anyone in the area to have a comparison.

Personally I'd prefer edit on for everyone all the time with the history available to everyone. That way they clean up their posts to their hearts content, and yet anyone can still see the history of changes. I'd also probably win any sort of competition for the most number of edits to their posts. It's not that I change my mind frequently. Yes it is... no, well, maybe...

Here's what the mod's can see by clicking the "compare" button with the history screen behind it ... very similar to any version control system. But I suspect that whole history thing isn't something that can be turned on for everyone.

1614807945971.png

The idea is to give someone enough time to fix typos and stuff, but not allow revisionist history. This way the content in a thread flows more naturally.
I like this policy personally.

Stage 1: oops i submitted but made a typo that i don’t want to live with. nobody will know my shame if i edit the typo within a minute or two

Stage 2: my post has been out there and seen by some people and they have memories of the original post. if i edit it now, they deserve to know it changed so they don’t question their own reality.

Stage 3: my post is months old and essentially part of community record. changing it at this point is kind of like rewriting history book. so i need to run edit by mods to ensure i can’t escape all my mistakes. people have to learn somehow! ?

Personally I'd prefer edit on for everyone all the time with the history available to everyone. That way they clean up their posts to their hearts content, and yet anyone can still see the history of changes.
I like this too. If there’s sensitive information that really needs removal for safety then mods can deal with that by request.

Let’s go full wikipedia!!!!

Stage 1: oops i submitted but made a typo that i don’t want to live with. nobody will know my shame if i edit the typo within a minute or two

... but it already appeared in my email, so try as you might to cover it up I can shame you publicly.

Stage 2: my post has been out there and seen by some people and they have memories of the original post. if i edit it now, they deserve to know it changed so they don’t question their own reality.

Shhh! Don't let them know I'm messing with their minds, first step in my evil plan to get them committed.

1614810833588.png

Stage 3: my post is months old and essentially part of community record. changing it at this point is kind of like rewriting history book. so i need to run edit by mods to ensure i can’t escape all my mistakes. people have to learn somehow! ?

Here's what the mod's can see by clicking the "compare" button with the history screen behind it ... very similar to any version control system. But I suspect that whole history thing isn't something that can be turned on for everyone.

View attachment 39433

Interesting, it shows my multiple edits grouped together, doesn't indicate I made a second edit later (takes me a while to add everything I think of.)

I like this policy personally.

I can relate to stage 2, which is why mostly I try to disclose my edits with an “edit:” or strike-through txt (though thought I’d lost the ability to use it, at some point). I don’t always take the time to. i prefer to let the software manage it, and I can simply make my edit the way I want.

Interesting, it shows my multiple edits grouped together, doesn't indicate I made a second edit later (takes me a while to add everything I think of.)
Actually it does, the comparison is the last rev against the first, you can see the buttons in the background.

I'm on a forum where full anytime edit was allowed. Someone got pissed off and started editing all his history to be blank. That caused us to go to a restricted time based edit capability.
Folks do that now, requesting their posts must all be deleted.

It's easy to ask others to change their behavior (e.g., all CAPS), it's also unlikely that it'll happen and pretty likely to piss them off.
So, if we can't change others, what can we do? I think we properly identified and came up with a solution for the OP in regards to formatting and content.

But what about other things that annoy readers? I'll kick off a few of my pet peeves and let's see if can find some additional clever solutions.
  1. Shopping for Validation - Some posters ask questions, ignore good advice and respond to people that answer the way they'd hoped they would.

2. Don't read the full response - Sure, I like to be complete in my answers (aka, long-winded). But it seems some people scan only the first lines and then totally miss the rest.

3. Argue - They ask, you answer, they say you're wrong. If they're that smart, why'd they ask in the first place?

4. Don't understand - They ask, you answer, they don't understand the answer.

5. Don't provide Critical Information - They ask, you say the answer depends on specifics, they don't provide the needed information.

Generally for 1-3 I just don't bother with a second post. I figure they're not interested in learning, and there's nothing I can do. The downside is others reading the thread might be mislead.

On #4 & #5, I suspect some just aren't cut out for DIY. I can understand that. A lot of times DIY isn't for fun, it's an economic necessity. On the other hand, electricity is deadly dangerous. Perhaps gathering some links to 101 basics beyond what we have now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back