diy solar

diy solar

Code of Conduct Addition?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The other thing I do is ask clarifying questions to get the context the user doesn't even know is relevant.
I also do it so they put some skin in the game as it were.

Images can be viewed at full resolution, its just a matter of hosting offsite (which is slightly tedious but super simple).
Example, here are Mars and the Moon in 8K (scaled down to a reasonable inline size but available in full res with a left or right click):

I'll concede that your inline images did indeed zoom well and maintained very good resolution. However, not everyone can easily do that. Lots of people get their photos loaded to the Google photo service automatically. Linking to those photos has been a PITA. I know how to do it, but it requires a few jumping through a couple hoops.

A good PDF zooms in well and maintains a readable resolution. I don't care how they get a good image to us. A bad image with details too small to read is one that I'll often pass on or ask for a better image.

I have soMetimes used font style, font size and colour as weLL as boldface, italics and yes I am also guilty of utilizing all caps from time to time but in my own defense, I have only used all caps in sparing and strategic fashion to accentuate a point; i've not done up an entire posting in all caps .. well .. there was that one time ..

Images can be viewed at full resolution, its just a matter of hosting offsite...
I believe that's covered, but if not let me know the appropriate changes you'd suggest.

One thing I often reccomend (and wish people would do)...
I believe those are covered as well, although worded differently. Let me know how you'd change the verbiage if you disagree.

I have soMetimes used font style, font size and colour as weLL ...I am also guilty of...
powertothepeople-233x300.jpg
There is no guilt or shame. Format posts as you like.

The idea currently in this thread isn't about telling people what they shouldn't do.
The consensus is they can do as they please (within the bounds of the forum rules that is).
The onus is upon members to skip over posts that offend their formatting senses and not
try to get the poster to conform.

The concern was they might not get any response. So, the resolution was to put together
some verbiage (first version here) to help posters who aren't getting a response to their
question, possibly because the post isn't readable and members are skipping over it.

The questions now for the Work-In-Progress are:
  1. what's missing from that list
  2. how to make it clearer, more concise
  3. what's the best sequence for the entries
  4. Anything else anyone thinks of

Last edited:
Please consider adding something explicitly regarding Answering Follow-up Questions.

There are many examples where members ask the OP follow-up questions and get responses such as "I'd rather not talk about that part of the system" or "that's not relevant to my question" or "I've already got that figured out". That generally takes the air out of the discussion, is frustrating to the members trying to help, and sometimes sends the thread into contentious territory.

My opinion is that posters should try to answer follow-up questions to the best of their ability. They may not understand why they are being asked for certain details, but in my experience the people trying to help have very good reasons for requesting the information they do.

Reactions: Dzl
Please consider adding something explicitly regarding Answering Follow-up Questions.

My opinion is that posters should try to answer follow-up questions to the best of their ability. They may not understand why they are being asked for certain details, but in my experience the people trying to help have very good reasons for requesting the information they do.

"Back off man, I'm a scientist."

Hmm, this is an interesting discussion.

I personally do not think that writing out these rules in our code of conduct will prevent the issue from occurring.

People who post in all caps, or ramble on, are probably not the type of people who will care to read the code of conduct (I am generalizing, but typically folks who use all caps are trying to "shout" their points).

With that said, if I saw someone doing that, I would message them telling them to not do it.

I would not say it was the rules of the forum, but they should perhaps consider formatting their posts differently if they wish to have successful discussions with others.

...I personally do not think that writing out these rules in our code of conduct will prevent the issue from occurring....I would message them telling them to not do it.

I would not say it was the rules of the forum, but they should perhaps consider formatting their posts differently if they wish to have successful discussions with others.
That's the general consensus and what led to this post in the FAQ section. The idea being that people don't like to be told they did something wrong, but are generally receptive to getting a helpful link suggesting how they might be more likely to get response.

Please consider adding something explicitly regarding Answering Follow-up Questions....
Interesting! How about this alteration?
If it's something that sounds wrong/crazy, it might be - but don't tell them they're crazy and off their meds. Instead, succinctly repeat what you think you read and ask for clarification or a reference link... if something is bogus/wrong, usually other members will point it out.... but sometimes what we know to be true is also no longer correct - so please listen with an open mind and verify what you learn. Also keep an open mind about follow-up questions. Even if you ruled it out, or think its unrelated, it might help another member better understand the problem and provide better advice.

That's the general consensus and what led to this post in the FAQ section. The idea being that people don't like to be told they did something wrong, but are generally receptive to getting a helpful link suggesting how they might be more likely to get response.

Interesting! How about this alteration?
I wonder if it could be added to the terms here with the heading Forum Etiquette. Or required reading when a person signs up as a new member.

I don't think svetz's code of conduct was meant to be enforceable rules. Not following his code of conduct will not get anyone banned and is not meant to belittle anyone...no one is perfect. I do feel it can be helpful to everyone, especially new members, and that's the whole point of it. Other forums use this strategy, although I feel some are too strict, but it seems to be helpful.

...Or required reading when a person signs up as a new member...
I believe they are "required" reading when you sign-up, but most probably just click past it.

I don't think svetz's code of conduct...
I'm just the wordsmith, the members are the owners. Also it's not a "code of conduct", it's How to increase the odds of getting a response to your thread.

...I wonder if it could be added to the terms here with the heading Forum Etiquette....
Unlike PotC, the Code of Conduct is enforced regularly. Personally, I don't see putting suggestions there. IMHO its better to keep the mandatory rules as short, simple, and clear as possible.
pirates.jpg

I was trying to think of a way to make it more visible so it's easier for new forum members to find it. How many new members look at the faq section?
How to increase the odds of getting a response to your thread.
Somehow I got sidetracked...sorry. I get that...lol.

...How many new members look at the faq section?...
Possibly not at first, but I point people there all the time and it's in my signature. Easier than explaining the same thing over and over, fewer typos that way too! ;-)

I was trying to think of a way to make it more visible ...
Personally I'd rather the FAQ was more visible since it answers probably 60% of the questions.

But, when a post falls into the category of "wtf are they asking" I suspect members will helpfully link that page. Or, perhaps put a link into their signatures. Be interesting to hear what others think.

<joke> maybe there could be a community decided capital letter budget for all posts and if exceeded all capital letters are converted to lower case for readability </joke>

the all caps thread was really amusing to read, but i did get the impression that it was a generational and or accessibility thing. i would have read more if it were not all caps, but i’m not offended nor hurt by the loud letters. the angles make it less readable for me.

tossing hat into this interesting mix

thanks to all for the humor keeping it silly

<joke> maybe there could be a community decided capital letter budget for all posts and if exceeded all capital letters are converted to lower case for readability </joke>

the all caps thread was really amusing to read, but i did get the impression that it was a generational and or accessibility thing. i would have read more if it were not all caps, but i’m not offended nor hurt by the loud letters. the angles make it less readable for me.

tossing hat into this interesting mix

thanks to all for the humor keeping it silly

Nice job going with all lower case and random use of punctuation.
thumb_up.gif

I believe they are "required" reading when you sign-up, but most probably just click past it.

I'm just the wordsmith, the members are the owners. Also it's not a "code of conduct", it's How to increase the odds of getting a response to your thread.

Unlike PotC, the Code of Conduct is enforced regularly. Personally, I don't see putting suggestions there. IMHO its better to keep the mandatory rules as short, simple, and clear as possible.
pirates.jpg
Ok, now I’m always going to think PARLAY whenever I think a post needs formatting help... thanks for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back