diy solar

diy solar

Data extraction from inverters

@shavermcspud this is so awesome and perfect for my needs. I currently have a Solis 5g hybrid, going to install in a few weeks. I currently have home assistant running on a micro Pc, with influxdb and Grafana setup. Once I have built this pi using your fantastic image, I how do I set it up to talk with my locally installed Grafana on my Home Assistant. Im relatively technical, just don't know what's on the image and where to start from. Any help would be really appreciated, not just by me, but by others I'm sure... A guide would be great, but don't want to push my luck .. Don't see the point of reinventing the wheel, especially when the wheel is as awesome as this !!

@shavermcspud this is so awesome and perfect for my needs. I currently have a Solis 5g hybrid, going to install in a few weeks. I currently have home assistant running on a micro Pc, with influxdb and Grafana setup. Once I have built this pi using your fantastic image, I how do I set it up to talk with my locally installed Grafana on my Home Assistant. Im relatively technical, just don't know what's on the image and where to start from. Any help would be really appreciated, not just by me, but by others I'm sure... A guide would be great, but don't want to push my luck .. Don't see the point of reinventing the wheel, especially when the wheel is as awesome as this !!
Hi Mr Funk

I have a new pi image specifically for the Solis inverters, its ready to go, you will need to remove some dashboard items as I have three solis inverters so you wont see any data for two of them with my image. I will upload to the resource section for you.

I dont have a guide per-se but the basics are to write the image to a 64GB SD card ( i use win32 disk imager) boot the pi with a keyboard and display attached, login with username pi and password raspberry and run sudo ./raspi-config and setup your WiFi. Once you know your wifi ip address of the pi you can go to http://yourpiaddress:3020 on any pc/browser and access the solar dashboard and remove any items that you dont need/have i.e my 2nd and 3rd inverter and car charger. You can also login to http://yourpiaddress:1880 to node red and remove any flows that you also don't need to trim the fat so to speak. Feel free to message me if you have any issues.

In its current from
dashboard.png

Hi Mr Funk

I have a new pi image specifically for the Solis inverters, its ready to go, you will need to remove some dashboard items as I have three solis inverters so you wont see any data for two of them with my image. I will upload to the resource section for you.

I dont have a guide per-se but the basics are to write the image to a 64GB SD card ( i use win32 disk imager) boot the pi with a keyboard and display attached, login with username pi and password raspberry and run sudo ./raspi-config and setup your WiFi. Once you know your wifi ip address of the pi you can go to http://yourpiaddress:3020 on any pc/browser and access the solar dashboard and remove any items that you dont need/have i.e my 2nd and 3rd inverter and car charger. You can also login to http://yourpiaddress:1880 to node red and remove any flows that you also don't need to trim the fat so to speak. Feel free to message me if you have any issues.

In its current from
View attachment 90322
Thanks for your efforts, more questions to follow. As the rs485 is being used with the supplied meter (I'm UK like you) . How do you access the other rs485 if you are using the com port with the WiFi dongle? Also do you have any pictures or pinouts of how you got the dongle to interface. I'm using a 3.6k 5g hybrid, when it arrives. Any help is obviously appreciated, and the fact your image is built and running, with this webpage displaying everything as a plug and play solution is truly stunning btw ! And really appreciated by us ??!

Last edited:
Thanks for your efforts, more questions to follow. As the rs485 is being used with the supplied meter (I'm UK like you) . How do you access the other rs485 if you are using the com port with the WiFi dongle? Also do you have any pictures or pinouts of how you got the dongle to interface. I'm using a 3.6k 5g hybrid, when it arrives. Any help is obviously appreciated, and the fact your image is built and running, with this webpage displaying everything as a plug and play solution is truly stunning btw ! And really appreciated by us ??!

Ah that's one bit of the information I forgot to add, how to connect to the inverter :) The way i did mine is to open the data stick, its come apart far too easily for something that is supposed to be waterproof, inside is a small esp32 board on a four pin connector, I removed my board totally as the solis cloud is crap, you can then connect a pair of colours from the cat 5 cable to the connector or solder on directly to the pins that are there, use the yellow and blue pins for RS485 A & B respectively, I have heard some people use the dongle with the board and cat 5 at the same time with success.

BTW, is your name Dez by any chance?

@shavermcspud nope my name is Dave lol. Have you uploaded that image? I can see an image 7/3/22.. labelled as sofar, is it that one? Thanks

@shavermcspud nope my name is Dave lol. Have you uploaded that image? I can see an image 7/3/22.. labelled as sofar, is it that one? Thanks
Also which rs485 stick did you use form Amazon? Just want to make sure I get the right one, so not fighting with drivers .

Ill upload the image today for you, I have uploaded the Sofar one already, as they are 60GB+ compressed I normally do it from my office where I have a faster connection.

I am very interested in this topic even though i never worked on Raspberry. But if there any document where it teaches you how to doe these stuff for a newbie it would be awesome to have all these data available.

I've started from the beginning here:

I will add entries specifically for Raspberry Pi, and then expand on communication with devices etc. Keep in mind I don't have a lot of spare time, but I will work on this as and when I can...

Hi all, this raspberry pi image looks great, I can see we have had 69 downloads, the flow in node-red looks amazing.
I have been fighting with node-red for months now but making some slow progress, great way to pass the time and keep my brain active.

However, this flow is on another level!
Did anyone manage to get into Grafana? on port 3000
If so what credentials did you use?

Hi all, this raspberry pi image looks great, I can see we have had 69 downloads, the flow in node-red looks amazing.
I have been fighting with node-red for months now but making some slow progress, great way to pass the time and keep my brain active.

However, this flow is on another level!
Did anyone manage to get into Grafana? on port 3000
If so what credentials did you use?
is the Sofar image working with Solis? Im still waiting for the Solis upload

No the image is for a Sofar ME3000SP & it is working. But I need the credentials for the Pi & Grafana logins.
I can see the Wiki for the forum is being updated as I type, but the credential are incorrect.
Dave

No the image is for a Sofar ME3000SP & it is working. But I need the credentials for the Pi & Grafana logins.
I can see the Wiki for the forum is being updated as I type, but the credential are incorrect.
Dave
Ive sent you a message, the pi is the standard login default pi & raspberry you will need to change this, grafana is admin & olivetti, you will also need to change these for your security

Hi Dave, thanks for the reply and the image.

Looking way better than my efforts ?
The grafana creds working and I found your dashboard, WOW.

The default pi login does not work, I will try pi and olivetti later and report back.

Thanks again Dave, brill work I do like the way you get the data from the Sofar, looking very quick even on a pi zero 2.
Thanks for sharing this with us.

Regards (from another Dave)

Back