diy solar

diy solar

Deciding to DIY my solar battery was one of my worst mistakes ever

Hah
I had a 386 that required 30 pin SIMM memory in exact matching sets of 4.
Parking the hard drive heads or risk death of the hard drive.
I remember watercooling. I used flexible tubing. I had fun with it. Ran a solid overclock with it.

Oh, ive built some computers where the complexity DEFINITELY compares with the complexity of building battery packs...
Neon, and water blocks, and hard tubing heat formed around obstacles, mounting the paralleled video cards, and getting all the drivers to cooperate...

Yeah, ill build batteries all day long before doing THAT again...

Anybody build a pc when windows Me was the operating system of choice?

Remember building pc's when windows 95 was first out?

Or BEFORE 95? Vista anyone?

Yeah... i love solar!
I remember building when you had to decide if you were going with or without the math coprosser.
My first large hard drive (500meg that cost me $500 used) was an external scsi drive that required drivers. When the 386 came out, WOW! Going with other than Intel was not the norm.
Pretty sure I started on 3.0, remember trying OS/2. Geoworks was a shell that had a spreadsheet, word processor.

Oh, ive built some computers where the complexity DEFINITELY compares with the complexity of building battery packs...
Neon, and water blocks, and hard tubing heat formed around obstacles, mounting the paralleled video cards, and getting all the drivers to cooperate...

Yeah... i love solar!
Thing with building PCs vs batteries is that the PCs aren’t packing a shit ton of potential electrical energy in a set of freshly top balanced cells.

Certainly not for everyone but economy of scale can make a huge difference. Most here do one-off battery builds, that isn't how to do it. You want to build large and have each part repeated several times.

Take for instance my bank.

1710600664341.png

The box was sourced used and on the cheap for $200. I didn't have to build an enclosure. Each shelf is the same length and width. While it takes some tools to build those shelves such as a welder and saw to cut steel, you probably shouldn't be attempting a build without some equipment. BMS is a Batrium and that does kill some time as each balance lead is fused. However, once I mounted the first K9 and determined wire length, I could cut all the wires for the remaining harnesses that needed to be built. Compression fixtures are all the same, once a pattern for the end plate is made, then cutting and drilling all remaining plates is easy. Each plate was used as a fixture to drill holes in the end, then the rod length and insulating pvc cover length was determined, all cut at the same time. Even cutting the Poron placed between cells was done in an assembly line process, first a pattern, then used a paper cutter to cut the remaining with a big stack of cut sheets all done in a short time.

Busbars used between cells are just the factory tinned copper supplied with the cells. With 4 batteries, the load on each battery will never be enough to exceed the capacity of the busbars. On the ends, the Class T fuses were all mounted the same and the connecting busbars were the same. Again, assembly line process.

Did I spend some time doing all of this? I certainly did, an hour or two in the evening, some weekends. I ended up with a 58 Kwh battery at $11K and could have dropped off $2K easily by not using the Batrium. I'm currently getting ready to build another 4 battery bank for the shop and it will come in much cheaper as cell prices have dropped and I'm using JK's this time so no need for the ABB shunt trip breaker either. At the time I built this, the offerings out there were server rack 100Ah batteries and would have cost about $16K plus shipping for the same size bank (my cost included all shipping). The shop bank will be 57 Kwh and final cost should be around $8K or less due to the drop in cell prices and using the JK's. Cells only cost under $6K shipped to my door. I see the EG4 Power Pro is currently on sale and to equal that size for the bank would run about $16.4K to my door.

Can I build a bank like this for $8K for my labor? I do know this second build will take less time as I already have a pattern of how to do it, so averaging the 2 builds out comes out to some decent money for my time. I always look for a gross profit of $100/hour for any work I do. Fabrication isn't for everyone, it takes some skills and fine tuning those skills over time. I've been building things from scratch since I was about 12 years old so that gives me 45 years of experience to have an idea, form a plan and implementing it. Each section needs to be broken into several parts, otherwise you will find yourself overwhelmed. One needs to plan 10 steps ahead. I don't write this down on paper either, all of it based upon the blueprint in my mind. It's a gift some have and some don't. For those that do, it can be quite rewarding. Some can accomplish it by drawing a design and working off it. And some can't beat their way out of a wet paper bag. It isn't for everyone. Some may be willing to accept certain tradeoffs to achieve a result such as no compression, just using an open shelf for holding cells. Nothing wrong with that approach as long as the end result is safe and works.

Yeah... i love solar!
3.11 for Workgroups for life!

The blue screen of death hurts all the same. Maybe not physically
Nothing like your computer screaming at you ILLEGAL FUNCTION FAULT because you installed the wong driver for your MIDI port. Well, sorrrrry!

Yeah... i love solar!
Oh man, don't remind me! IRQ conflicts were a thing back then, dip switches on HDDs(which still exist but almost everyone uses SSDs now, outside of enterprise stuff.) Ribbon cables, blah. But I think the worst thing from that era was Windows Millenium.

This is an anti-DIY message specific to DIY batteries, so I apologize, but my message for the masses is, unless you know what you're getting into, consider buying a pre-assembled battery.

Deciding to DIY my solar battery was one of my worst mistakes ever.
I'm still not done yet, and so far the project has wasted about 12 million hours of my time.

Originally I was going to buy fully wired batteries in a box from Amy, but was told the boxes were too big and couldn't be shipped to my country. So stupidly, I figured I could do all the boxes and wiring myself.

Even for pro-level handymen, to do this right, with all the research required, the fixtures and compression and flexible busbars and sizing and building the box and top balancing and the BMS and the fuses and wiring... etc. etc. this is a really big project. For the record, I happen to be a pretty crappy handyman. So maybe for some of you this is a walk-in-the-park.

But my message for the masses is, unless you really really know what you're getting into, buy a pre-assembled battery. For the vast majority of people who are working for a decent wage, when you figure in the cost of your time, a DIY battery doesn't save you anything. I guess if building one of these is your idea of a good time, then go for it. But in my case, I'd rather spend the time doing other things.

/rant

Edited to fix typos
For some reason, the information on this forum, along with all the very capable and caring people here, gave me the confidence to build my own. Will's youtube channel, along with others like Andy at offgridgarage also helped a lot.

Your first DIY battery will NOT be less expensive than a currently available commercial one (prices have dropped a lot since I first started battery builds), since you need all the right tools to do it right, but it WILL be worth it from a gained skillset and knowledge standpoint.

You will be able to troubleshoot and do your own maintenance in the future, and expansion will be less expensive because you can do it yourself. My current 1380AH of Lithium batteries would have cost thousands more if I had bought commercial back then. A member from this forum(wish I could remember his name) actually paid Seplos to build him their first 280ah kit. Their Mason kit line came as a result of that design.

That's just a sample of the innovation and engineering skills available on this forum. I cannot thank Will and all the Admins enough for hosting this forum, as it now seems to be the defacto internet knowledge base for DIY Solar and batteries.

If you dont enjoy the process of learning all the details, buying the tools, and developing the skills to DIY safe and well functioning solar storage, then of course, share the wealth and pay for someone to do it for you. If your a sucker for punishment like the rest of us though, the hobby is awesome, fun, and may well help save your families lives if the shit ever gets real.

Certainly not for everyone but economy of scale can make a huge difference. Most here do one-off battery builds, that isn't how to do it. You want to build large and have each part repeated several times.
That’s what worked for me. I have around 48 kWh of storage with only about $8500 invested all in.

Amiga for the WIN! I have nearly every model, still working!

If you ever had a Phase 5 accelerator, I personally know the engineers behind that company. Still got a A600 and A1200 somewhere, and I think I even have a PowerPC accelerator for the A1200, and I also should have a VLab Motion non-linear video editing card and a bunch of other stuff. I was into video editing and 3D animation when I was in my teens...

If you ever had a Phase 5 accelerator, I personally know the engineers behind that company. Still got a A600 and A1200 somewhere, and I think I even have a PowerPC accelerator for the A1200, and I also should have a VLab Motion non-linear video editing card and a bunch of other stuff. I was into video editing and 3D animation when I was in my teens...
If you care about your a600, pull it out and remove and replace those capacitors, both my 600's leaked out electrolyte, and it corroded the ide pins off the board!
1200 has similar issues...
And those damn varta batteries! I may never get my 4000 back up and running from that varta.

So weird. I started on PDP 11, was a Microsoft trainer, programmed in C++, played Atari and went through many quarters in the arcades, and me and my kids held halo tournaments on the home network, yet this is the first time I have come across the term Guru Meditation for a system error.

Must have had a sheltered life. 😁

If you care about your a600, pull it out and remove and replace those capacitors, both my 600's leaked out electrolyte, and it corroded the ide pins off the board!
1200 has similar issues...
And those damn varta batteries! I may never get my 4000 back up and running from that varta.

One of my hobbies is restoring old arcade machines. I know all about those caps and coin cell batteries...

Back