diy solar

diy solar

Eg4 18kpv dead short

smmarczak

I've had my 18kpv up and running for about a year. I can't say enough good about it. However, this morning it stopped working suddenly at 9:35. Battery error. After calling sig solar (speedy quick and patient with me) we did some troubleshooting and it appears to be a dead short on the batt side of the inverter. Batteries work and test normal not connected to inverter. Thought experiment, what would cause a sudden dead short?

Anyhow, sent email with photos to sig solar. Here's to hoping to a speedy resolution. Perhaps a moral of the story is to always have 2 inverters. I'll be getting a second (smaller) for backup.

Bad battery connection? I had them torqued right, and nothing felt loose. But that's the only connection I checked closely.
Although not your made connection all it takes is from there inward for a quality control slip up to happen. If that is the case it should be covered under Warranty.

Well, I guess the resolution is to get instructions via email, tear the system apart, leave it open while old one ships and new one ships after they get the old one.

Last edited:
My 18KPV also toasted itself earlier this year (beginning of April) for no apparent reason.
I have the following kit EG4-18Kpv & EG4-PowerPro WallMount Battery
The system had been running fine for 3 months (Jan-March) and I shut it all down while I was on vacation for a week.
When I got back from vacation and powered up the system I got no AC Out in the other room. So I walked back to the unit to make sure I hadn't missed a step and heard a "pop + hiss" from the unit. I immediately shut down all breakers/switches and called Signature Solar.

Signature tech support had me power it back up again, first from the battery (did not power up) and then from the solar (powered up) however within a minute of powering up it began to hiss and smoke again...
My current conclusion is that the battery side burnt out first and then something else burnt out after that.

At that point they told me that they would do a "good faith warranty replacement" but never really explained why my system would fry itself on startup after working fine for 3 months prior.

Their instructions were to return the inverter with all of its parts so I included everything that had come in the box.
I received a scuffed up refurbished unit several weeks later and the box did not contain a number of the original parts including the parallel cable, battery communications cable, mounting brackets (kind of important!), mounting bolts and through hole covers.
I called Signature about the missing parts immediately and they said they would get them right out to me. Then they emailed me and told me that the parts had to come from EG4. 2 weeks later I am still waiting for the parts and Signature says that EG4 is not giving them an answer.

Has anyone else had one of these EG4-18KPV units burn out for no apparent reason?

My 18KPV also toasted itself earlier this year (beginning of April) for no apparent reason.
The system had been running fine for 3 months (Jan-March) and I shut it all down while I was on vacation for a week.
When I got back from vacation and powered up the system I got no AC Out in the other room. So I walked back to the unit to make sure I hadn't missed a step and heard a "pop + hiss" from the unit. I immediately shut down all breakers/switches and called Signature Solar.

Signature tech support had me power it back up again, first from the battery (did not power up) and then from the solar (powered up) however within a minute of powering up it began to hiss and smoke again...
My current conclusion is that the battery side burnt out first and then something else burnt out after that.

At that point they told me that they would do a "good faith warranty replacement" but never really explained why my system would fry itself on startup after working fine for 3 months prior.

Their instructions were to return the inverter with all of its parts so I included everything that had come in the box.
I received a scuffed up refurbished unit several weeks later and the box did not contain a number of the original parts including the parallel cable, battery communications cable, mounting brackets (kind of important!), mounting bolts and through hole covers.
I called Signature about the missing parts immediately and they said they would get them right out to me. Then they emailed me and told me that the parts had to come from EG4. 2 weeks later I am still waiting for the parts and Signature says that EG4 is not giving them an answer.

Has anyone else had one of these EG4-18KPV units burn out for no apparent reason?
@SignatureSolarJess (sorry for the ping on a Friday afternoon)

Oh dear! I'm so sorry! If you could DM me your name and contact information associated with your account, I can certainly get this looked at and see if we can speed it up at all!

Thanks @42OhmsPA - Not a problem!

I haven't observed these units experiencing a random dead short. However, may I send you a direct message to further investigate this issue?

I had 3P10S (30 x 390W max) panels on the primary MPPT. I've never seen the PV over 475V. Right after the 18KPV burnt out I checked the voltage on the PV and it was at 472-473V (it was a nice sunny day). The battery was at 55.1V (I had left it fully charged when we went on vacation the week before). The system was not wired into the house wiring and I had been using L1 to feed 120V to my gaming PCs via hefty extension cord. The PCs were unplugged when I powered the system so there was no load when the unit burnt out. Unfortunately I did not have a ground wire yet. I'd assume that was the problem except this system had been functioning for months.

I realize my setup wasn't "kosher" as Signature pointed out but I was really hoping to get a "post mortem" on the unit that burnt out so I could get a definitive "you screwed up here".

Right now I'd just like to get at least mounting brackets and a comm wire.

Last edited:

diy solar

diy solar
Back