diy solar

diy solar

EG4 18kPV Q+A general thread

Side question: how are people connecting battery cables? You can't use finely stranded cable or even compression lug on cable because it uses screw lugs for all power connections.
I did one set of battery cables with ferrules and one with just strands. I personally prefer the ferrules. Just use a torque device so you get a good bite on the ferrule. Ferrules that I use are thin and easily deformed under the pressure, while still keeping the strands contained.

Side question: how are people connecting battery cables? You can't use finely stranded cable or even compression lug on cable because it uses screw lugs for all power connections.
Wondering, what size battery cables you have in your KPV connection ?

Any way, other having SS upgrade my firmware, to get this thing to stop exporting?
Disconnect grid connection...assuming you still have fast zero and disable grid sell.

As shown on your post here.

Screenshot_20230806_161816_Edge.jpg

Disconnect grid connection...assuming you still have fast zero and disable grid sell.

As shown on your post here.

View attachment 161384
I do. I was thinking of setting times ac charge at 100w during the day and see if that alleviates the issue.

General question - For the 18Kpv, is the LifFePower4 communication Hub required to communicate with EG4 LifePower4 batteries?

(already answered below - Thanks)​

Last edited:
That is the intent. The idea is that the inverter is between the meter and the main breaker box. Unless the grid goes down, this hybrid inverter runs in parallel with the grid (Both the grid and the inverter can supply power). If the inverter is not generating enough power, the grid will make up the difference. If the inverter is making more than the loads need it will back-feed the thread. If the inverter is set to zero export, it will generate just enough power to drive the current to zero at the point the CTs are hooked up.

When the inverter detects a grid failure, it will disconnect from the grid. At that point, the only power available to the loads on the output is the power from the inverter. For many households, the 12K (and the surge capability) will cover all the needs. However, some people may need to shed some of the larger loads in order to stay within the capabilities of the inverter.
So the smaller 12k Solark wasn’t to be installed between the meter and main panel. Probably due to the pass thru amp limit not being large enough for all the homes loads to pass thru it. That meant the 12k would cover all the homes main panel loads (while there is a grid connection) from it’s bidirectional input, basically using the inverters grid input as an output. The inverter would basically be installed after the main panel and operate as a zero export grid tie inverter. the power the inverter would supply to the main panel via the bidirectional input would be used by the loads therefore stopping any usage of power from the grid. This all makes sense to me..
now with this 18k eg4 and the 15k SolArk it’s different, most likely due to the much higher (200amps) pass thru amp limit. These inverters are to be installed before the main panel not after the main panel like the 12k SolArk is installed..

QUESTION,, so with these (18k and 15k) inverters I suppose the homes main panel is instead powered by the inverters AC output instead of a bidirectional AC input like the 12k?

So the smaller 12k Solark wasn’t to be installed between the meter and main panel. Probably due to the pass thru amp limit not being large enough for all the homes loads to pass thru it. That meant the 12k would cover all the homes main panel loads (while there is a grid connection) from it’s bidirectional input, basically using the inverters grid input as an output. The inverter would basically be installed after the main panel and operate as a zero export grid tie inverter. the power the inverter would supply to the main panel via the bidirectional input would be used by the loads therefore stopping any usage of power from the grid. This all makes sense to me..
now with this 18k eg4 and the 15k SolArk it’s different, most likely due to the much higher (200amps) pass thru amp limit. These inverters are to be installed before the main panel not after the main panel like the 12k SolArk is installed..

QUESTION,, so with these (18k and 15k) inverters I suppose the homes main panel is instead powered by the inverters AC output instead of a bidirectional AC input like the 12k?
Yes.

1691370947760.png

On GRID MODE: the inverter will go to bypass mode and use utility power if the inverter reach battery cut off..
if it set correctly the inverter will act like a grid tie inverter and push power through the grid input of the inverter to zero out the load if the ct is install between the main service breaker and utility meter..
I’m having a hard time understanding this.. I do understand how previous smaller inverters did this with a bidirectional AC input but they were not installed between the meter and the main panel. This inverter is installed that way. The main panel can only get powered by the inverter if the power comes through inverter. How then are main panels loads covered by the inverters grid input?

Then the comment above this one that I quoted from Luxpower doesn’t make sense. He’s saying the 18k can power the main panel like a grid tie inverter via a bidirectional AC input
The two statements are not in conflict. I'll come back in a few minutes with a diagram trying to explain it.

The two statements are not in conflict. I'll come back in a few minutes with a diagram trying to explain it.
Any power the loads after the 18k need to be zeroed out would have to come from the inverters AC output due to the inverter being installed between the meter and the loads. There’s only one path for the main panel to get power and that’s thru the inverters AC output not from the inverters AC input. Before when the smaller inverters were not installed between the meter and main panel. Then I could see how the main panel could use power from the inverters AC input.
take your time, it’s much appreciated

Any power the loads after the 18k need would have to come from the inverters AC output due to the inverter being installed between the meter and the loads. There’s only one path for the main panel to get power and that’s thrunth3 inverters AC output not from the inverters AC input.
That is correct, depending on settings it can pass through a set amount of power from the grid whilst also suppying the rest from itself via battery and/or solar.
It can also use the grid as a load balancer to help it start heavy loads, it leans on the grid for help until it had delt with the inrush.

That is correct, depending on settings it can pass through a set amount of power from the grid whilst also suppying the rest from itself via battery and/or solar.
It can also use the grid as a load balancer to help it start heavy loads, it leans on the grid for help until it had delt with the inrush.
yes I understand that. The comment I quoted from Luxpower is saying the main panels loads can be zeroed out by the inverters grid input like a zero export grid tie inverter. I don’t see how that is possible since the inverter is to be installed between the meter and main panel. The loads in main panel can’t physically get the power from the inverters grid input without that power coming out the inverters AC output

diy solar

diy solar
Back