diy solar

diy solar

EG4 18kPV Q+A general thread

It can be a problem for closed loop. If both are communicating.
Otherwise, no issues at all.

Our batteries have BMS that are programed for 100ah or 280ah thats one of the reasons. And the engineers said to not mix them at all they told me some horror stories.
I'm running one of your LiFePower4 and 5 diy 280ah.
They're happy to do each of their part , equally.

I'm running one of your LiFePower4 and 5 diy 280ah.
They're happy to do each of their part , equally.
I’m Just very cautious when it comes to mixing batteries. And if the manufactures suggest not to do it. I’m going to listen. Thats just me I worked in the electrical field for over 24 years all industrial. I have seen some things already that’s why I’m cautious.

I found out contactor based JBD don't play well with others and it caused me a problem when they finally decided to turn on and recharge the dead batteries at 150A.

I think what EG could be saying is - you cannot mix other battery units and still be UL9450 etc compliant.
I am pretty sure the 3 bat max per stack is because of the connectors and cables.

I found out contactor based JBD don't play well with others and it caused me a problem when they finally decided to turn on and recharge the dead batteries at 150A.

I think what EG could be saying is - you cannot mix other battery units and still be UL9450 etc compliant.
I am pretty sure the 3 bat max per stack is because of the connectors and cables.
That may be what they mean. But what they are saying is that it will void the warranty.

What exactly are the different sizes nylon lock nuts for that are included? They look like knockout fillers but isn't clear why they are included?

Recently my 18kpv has started to throttle solar at 99% charge. I always noticed it at 100% before. Did something change? Anyone else notice this?

Recently my 18kpv has started to throttle solar at 99% charge. I always noticed it at 100% before. Did something change? Anyone else notice this?
No, but I have 12 LP4 batteries.

How many batteries do you have? What voltage are the batteries when they start throttling?

Is it closed loop? I believe the batteries are actually what throttle charge. They send out a max charge current they can accept, the 18kpv adds them up and charges at that rate at most.
Possibly you had more solar this time than last?
Possibly one or two of your batteries hit 100%, the others were at 97 or 98% so had already requested lower charge rate? The number displayed on the screen is just the average of all batteries. They won't flip from 99 to 100% all at the same time.

Is it closed loop? I believe the batteries are actually what throttle charge. They send out a max charge current they can accept, the 18kpv adds them up and charges at that rate at most.
Possibly you had more solar this time than last?
Possibly one or two of your batteries hit 100%, the others were at 97 or 98% so had already requested lower charge rate? The number displayed on the screen is just the average of all batteries. They won't flip from 99 to 100% all at the same time.
It is closed loop. Solar production was about the same, a little less today. Your point about it being controlled by the BMS is curious. I'll look at that later. Perhaps thats what it is.

Well, my search for a solar edge key to be able to use my current optimizers isn't working out, so it's time to replace the optimizers.

I've got one string with panels on two roof pitches and a ground mount string with weird shading.. I'm thinking that leaves me stuck with an optimizer on every panel.

What is the going recommended tigo optimizers from folks here? Id like to keep it as cost-effective as possible and I don't care about panel monitoring. Can this be as simple as just swapping optimizers to TS4-A-O and not using the CCA/Tap if I don't care about RSD and monitoring?

Last edited:
Well, my search for a solar edge key to be able to use my current optimizers isn't working out, so it's time to replace the optimizers.

I've got one string with panels on two roof pitches and a ground mount string with weird shading.. I'm thinking that leaves me stuck with an optimizer on every panel.

What is the going recommended tigo optimizers from folks here? Id like to keep it as cost-effective as possible and I don't care about panel monitoring. Can this be as simple as just swapping optimizers to TS4-A-O and not using the CCA/Tap if I don't care about RSD and monitoring?
Open up a new thread with your specific situation, any info in this thread is buried.

I'm running the TS4-A-O and CCA/TAP on one string going to my 18kpv. I don't believe you can get the optimization working without CCA and TAP.

No issues with all of that on my setup, works great. I think there's a good chance you wouldn't be able to run two strings into input 1 with those optimizers though if that's something you're considering.

Back