diy solar

diy solar

EG4 18kPV Q+A general thread

I'm running the TS4-A-O and CCA/TAP on one string going to my 18kpv. I don't believe you can get the optimization working without CCA and TAP.

No issues with all of that on my setup, works great. I think there's a good chance you wouldn't be able to run two strings into input 1 with those optimizers though if that's something you're considering.
More research is you CAN run them that way...they call it "blind deployment". It obviously has some cons listed but it honestly sounds like it will at least work as an optimizer without CCA/TAP.

Last edited:
More research is you CAN run them that way...they call it "blind deployment". It obviously has some cons listed but it honestly sounds like it will at least work as an optimizer without CCA/TAP.

I don't view that as "will at least work", I read that as "it might work, we don't know, you won't know, and we won't help you if it doesn't".

The optimizers already cause weird fluctuations of voltage and current due to the optimization, and since "Blind optimization via PIV (Predictive IV curve technology)" sounds a whole lot like guesswork, I bet you'll also take a significant performance hit even if you are convinced everything is optimizing correctly.

I don't view that as "will at least work", I read that as "it might work, we don't know, you won't know, and we won't help you if it doesn't".

The optimizers already cause weird fluctuations of voltage and current due to the optimization, and since "Blind optimization via PIV (Predictive IV curve technology)" sounds a whole lot like guesswork, I bet you'll also take a significant performance hit even if you are convinced everything is optimizing correctly.
Good points...ugg. Back to the drawing board.

I do need optimizers because my setup is strange...anyone run any other options?

Good points...ugg. Back to the drawing board.

I do need optimizers because my setup is strange...anyone run any other options?
What's wrong with the CCA/TAP for you? they aren't all that expensive in the grand scheme of things, and the 12v output of the 18kpv can power the CCA directly which is convenient.

What's wrong with the CCA/TAP for you? they aren't all that expensive in the grand scheme of things, and the 12v output of the 18kpv can power the CCA directly which is convenient.
Two arrays, both with shading issues. One ground mount, one on the 3rd story roof...lots of complexity added.

Two arrays, both with shading issues. One ground mount, one on the 3rd story roof...lots of complexity added.
That's all fine, I don't see why the Tigo system wouldn't work you'd just need the TAP and CCA to complete the setup.
I get you're trying to be cost effective, but $200 for the CCA and TAP is going to be hard to beat elsewhere.

I'm running the TS4-A-O and CCA/TAP on one string going to my 18kpv. I don't believe you can get the optimization working without CCA and TAP.

No issues with all of that on my setup, works great. I think there's a good chance you wouldn't be able to run two strings into input 1 with those optimizers though if that's something you're considering.
try Enable PV Arc, if you get an error, this will tell you with optimizers will give you unstable pv input.

Well...All was good and naturally I had to mess with things.

18K was working good. I had only a 50A running things but wanted to put the rest of the house on the inverter. Changed out the breakers and wire accordingly, turn on the inverter and now with the grid on it's just clicking.....

HELP!!!!!

lol

Well...All was good and naturally I had to mess with things.

18K was working good. I had only a 50A running things but wanted to put the rest of the house on the inverter. Changed out the breakers and wire accordingly, turn on the inverter and now with the grid on it's just clicking.....

HELP!!!!!

lol
Photos or video would be helpful

Double check your wiring. Check voltage in and out.

Did you power on the inverter with a pre-charge resistor?

In and out are different. Usually they are the same even when in is low. In is 229.2 / out is 240….I noticed that earlier but figured that would change
Disconnect your grid input. Are you using CTs?

How are you using your 18k (upstream grid assist or critical load panel?)

Have you tried restarting your 18k? Restart option in the settings menu.
Figured it out. Stupid on my part….

Input neutral was connected to my sub panel and not my grid panel. As soon as I looked it clicked. Been up since 3…too old for this.

Note to everyone, grid input needs to ALL be connected to the grid panel….

Can't find the answer after searching.. Have an 18k and 6 EG4 Lifepower4 Batteries. The BMS is working after upgrading one of the batteries but I see a flat line when charging. I can see on the web interface the BMS charge limit of 50A which seems a bit low. Do I need to upgrade all of the batteries firmware?

Can't find the answer after searching.. Have an 18k and 6 EG4 Lifepower4 Batteries. The BMS is working after upgrading one of the batteries but I see a flat line when charging. I can see on the web interface the BMS charge limit of 50A which seems a bit low. Do I need to upgrade all of the batteries firmware?
Yes. 6 batteries you should see 300 amps charge rate under the battery screen

Using the app you should see 600ah

Screenshot_20230821_130948_EG4 Monitor.jpg

Edit to include 6 battery example using LCD screen
20230821_131242.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks. I'll check the battery tab too but you can see the BMS limit below is only 50A. Maybe its only seeing one battery

Screenshot_20230821-183829.png

Correct, appears to only see one battery.

Do I need to upgrade the firmware on every battery? From the BMS laptop software I could see all 6 batteries to I'm surprised the inverter can only see 1. I thought I read only the battery connected to the inverter directly needed the newer firmware

Back