diy solar

diy solar

EG4 6000XP Released, ordered. Let's Go!

Hmh...connect it to the grid and let's talk in a year...
Growatt sucks.
It was for about 6 months.
Until I didn't need the grid, anymore.
I've had zero issues. But, I'm a licensed electrician of 40 years. I don't recommend it for your average diy'er.
It's not a simple plug and play setup. (For North America)

Last edited:
What loads are you running

Yes 3000W 120V on each line
This would be to run most but not all of the circuits in my house through a 10 circuit transfer switch, and figure 3000w would be fine. Only potential loads which could max that would be kitchen appliances like the microwave, air fryer, etc as well as tools like the table saw, miter saw, etc and a mix of running different appliances at the same time

Deciding between this or the EG4 6500EX. I don't need 240v, only 120V output. Would it be correct to assume that the 6500ex would be better for my application since the single line AC output on the new 6000XP would only be 3000W each line? I realize the idle consumption of the 6500ex would be higher, so that would be something to consider.

Are you wiring the output to a load panel? If so, use 240v out to the panel and just balance the load types on each leg. For example, if you have two refrigerators, put one on each leg. Balance your light loads. If you have a general idea of the demand profile of your circuits, you don't have to get that close to make this work. Sump on one leg. Furnace on the other. You get the idea. I would lean towards this unit for that situation but I'm in the same boat and weighing the idea. The flexibility of running 240v loads such as a mini-split or EV charger in the future provides some future proof. Really depends on your needs.

This would be to run most but not all of the circuits in my house through a 10 circuit transfer switch, and figure 3000w would be fine. Only potential loads which could max that would be kitchen appliances like the microwave, air fryer, etc as well as tools like the table saw, miter saw, etc and a mix of running different appliances at the same time

If it's a 240v compatible transfer switch (most are), verify how the breakers are allocated on the bars and split the heavy loads evenly. Microwave and air fryer separated. Table saw and miter saw separated. 240V from the AIO to the transfer switch. You are getting 3000w 120v for 5 of the circuits and 3000w 120v for the other 5. Just a little planning and you should be A-OK.

If you already have a Reliance TS, I’m sure
You tested it with a generator maybe, if not do it. Run everying as you normally would and look at the meters to see if balance is way off. The 30amp one will run 7200 watts.

I looked through the 3 PDF documents for the EG4 6000XP but didn't see 'pure sine wave' anywhere. The spec sheet just says that THD < 3%. I'm just wondering what the output AC waveform looks like and if it would impact sensitive electronics. IEEE 519 recommends less than 5% for "general" computers and PG&E (the NorCal power company) cites IEEE C57.110-1986 for transformer's load current > 5% be derated. So 5% sounds like a commonly cited number; but I don't have a sense for how the 6000XP's 3% would effect sensitive electronics. The EG4 8K EXP 240v spec sheet says that "pure sine wave" is < 2%.

Could Will, Zapper77, or Markus show what an oscilloscope produces for the 240V waveform? (using a resistive divider or some other resistive load) :)

Last edited:
The 18kpv has 5/10 minute surge ratings. Figured it was consistency across the product line. I was wrong to trust the documentation.

Pisses me off when spec sheets have errors. It's too common in the off-grid solar industry.
When I heard you say 25 second surge in your video...I was like no way.

Max time a surge was supported on my unit was 8 seconds, during my testing. 3-5 seconds was typical before overload.

Screenshot_20231029_203634_Edge.jpg

Last edited:
I looked through the 3 PDF documents for the EG4 6000XP but didn't see 'pure sine wave' anywhere. The spec sheet just says that THD < 3%. I'm just wondering what the output AC waveform looks like and if it would impact sensitive electronics.

It’s a high frequency PWM inverter so it’s a PSW. Above a certain size I just assume it is PSW. I’m not sure THD <3% would be mathematically possible with a MSW.

I’ve seen threads here preferring hybrid / AIO inverter power quality to grid power quality

(Should be pretty fast for someone with power quality measuring equipment to report on).

Had a read of the manual and it was not 100% clear to me.. Is it possible to charge the batteries off a 120v inverter generator, or does it need to be 240v and large enough to supply the load and charge the batteries? Would be ideal to be able to trickle charge the battery off a small generator when needed.

Had a read of the manual and it was not 100% clear to me.. Is it possible to charge the batteries off a 120v inverter generator, or does it need to be 240v and large enough to supply the load and charge the batteries? Would be ideal to be able to trickle charge the battery off a small generator when needed.
240v generator is required.

Example: 4K watt generator assume a max of 80%. That leaves 3,200 watts available for load and charging. Assuming 2,000 watt base load means 1,200 remain for charging.

I have a 7,600 running watt generator. My base load is 500-1500 watts. That leaves 6000 watts for charging. Ironically the max charging is 6,000 watts.

When I'm in a position where I need generator charging...I turn off all unnecessary loads to conserve battery power.

Last edited:
Will mentioned something about using the 6000xp to supplement an 18k pv through the generator hook-up (starting at 6:03). So can you expand the capacity of your 18k with the 6000xp somehow? Anyone have some insight on this. I have an 18k, although it's not installed and I am debating about selling it and getting three 6000xp's instead; I don't need the grid interactive functions on the 18k and would like a bit more juice for those high demand days. Or maybe as Will suggests I can supplement the 18k with the 6000xp?

Will mentioned something about using the 6000xp to supplement an 18k pv through the generator hook-up (starting at 6:03). So can you expand the capacity of your 18k with the 6000xp somehow? Anyone have some insight on this. I have an 18k, although it's not installed and I am debating about selling it and getting three 6000xp's instead; I don't need the grid interactive functions on the 18k and would like a bit more juice for those high demand days. Or maybe as Will suggests I can supplement the 18k with the 6000xp?
Yes exactly, I need to test it out but it should be 6000W + 12,000W. How cool is that!

Test slightly

but it Won't work, yet. Need a firmware update on the 18Kpv.

Is this inverter capable of generator boost like a victron? Want to operate it in parallel with either my generator or my car’s V2L.

Will’s video seemed to imply it could but I couldn’t decipher this from the manual.

Is this inverter capable of generator boost like a victron? Want to operate it in parallel with either my generator or my car’s V2L.

Will’s video seemed to imply it could but I couldn’t decipher this from the manual.
No, during my testing...Generator needs to support entire load.

The ChargeVerter is extremely useful.

I can run my smaller 3.2K 120v inverter generator (open frame) and Set the ChargeVerter between 30-50 amps.
And if you have multiple inverters running off the same 48v pack, it can charge it up for all of them with no weirdness.

diy solar

diy solar
Back