diy solar

diy solar

EG4 6500ex and 6000ex flickering lights and firmware

Hello,

I recorded video showing the EG4 6500EX inverter causing INSANE amount of flickering lights to the refrigerator bulb & extension cord light indicator.

My brother in law has exact same setup as i do, but with EG4 3000w yellow smaller inverter version and does NOT have any issues with his inverter flickering. 🤷‍♂️

I uploaded to YouTube

I had the eg4 6000ex and it did the same thing. Had the flickering and constant clicking on my computer UPS. The refrigerator’s main board was replaced 3 times during the time I used the inverter.

Sorry EG4/SS but ALL the 6500ex units have at least a 3yr warranty. EG4/SS MUST fix or replace without charge.

Last edited:
Hello ,

I have uploaded to YouTube. Not sure why it says premiere. I just assumed that I wanted to see it with others. Not familiar with YouTube uploading rules and process

The jack loves to watch everything i do....cats will be cats.

Although mobile applications like these are not usually supported, provided that everything is connected and grounded properly, with setting 42 enabled to establish the Neutral/Ground bond in the system and leaving only one Neutral/Ground bond preset, along with the N/G screw present in the inverter, I would advise contacting your distributor for a replacement. If already done, feel free to DM your email associated with this claim and I will look into it.

Solution...wait these are under warranty.!!!
So I reached out to SS support and I am waiting a response. These units are new.
I am less than 2 years into 5 year warranty (because I bought them with batteries). I stored them for a year+ while I installed the rest of my solar system. I spent $10K+ on batteries and other components from SS. I made these purchases in good faith and I am not happy to be told its a dead end product even before I can install and use them. EG4/SS needs to make this right.

I suggest let us with units under warranty be able to purchase new 6000xp (one for one) and get a FULL refund credit when we return the defective 6500ex (with free return shipping).
OR
Because the EG4 6500exs' are defective we should be able to KEEP the 6500ex inverters (warranty cancelled) and allow us to "upgrade" to 6000xp as a replacement for $500-$650each(or at cost) at a minimum for our trouble.
Good afternoon! I'm so sorry you've had issues with these. I completely understand the frustration! If you'd like to DM me with your name and email address, I can get you connected with an associate to see what we can do for you! We have also recently announced this upgrade program that you may be interested in looking into!

Hi,

In my case if Signature Solar or Eg4 can replace my unit with a WORKING unit NOT flickering I am more than satisfied with a replacement 6500ex.

I have no need for the eg4 6000xp since i DON'T have anything I can currently use with 240v, but if a full credit is the only option toward the purchase price of the eg4 6000xp after NOT being able to fix the eg4 6500ex I'll take it.
If you'd like to send me a DM with your name and email address, I can get you connected with an associate to see what we can do for you!

Although mobile applications like these are not usually supported, provided that everything is connected and grounded properly, with setting 42 enabled to establish the Neutral/Ground bond in the system and leaving only one Neutral/Ground bond preset, along with the N/G screw present in the inverter, I would advise contacting your distributor for a replacement. If already done, feel free to DM your email associated with this claim and I will look into it.

Hello,

I have direct messaged signature solar Jess. Thank you for your assistance.

Hello, I was given this information from signature solar technical support today to test and validate if I have a defective Eg4 6509ex inverter.

I am thinking to add a simple 1 or 2 (60) amp breaker load center. I ONLY use AC OUT and therefore have no need for AC IN. Just have to figure out what would be a good one. Any ideas? I am a Non electrician guy learning as I go along so terminology is not my Best suite. I have to go to Lowes or home depot and see what is smallest they have to fit my need. will buy 2 feet of 6awg 3 strand wire. I was told in need to run the ground for the load center to and earth ground. I assume that I can use a rod attached to the 6awg wire.

If anyone can send a link to what any of you think would be helpful to my idea PLEASE do.

Thank you for any help you guys can provide me.

The changes that are needed to be made to your system are as follows:
1. Ground the AC and PV to the chassis of the vehicle
2. On the AC: you will need to ensure that you are using 60A breakers on both the AC in and the AC outside of things utilizing an 6-4 AWG wire
3. Please ensure that the PV power source is grounded and the AC side is grounded.

Those are the only fixes that should be relevant and required to your set up.

Last edited:
Back