diy solar

diy solar

EG4 6500ex and 6000ex flickering lights and firmware

Unfortunately I'm not aware of any other "fixes" outside of replacing the inverters. I know for many that's really not an option due to cost.

I've heard of SS swapping out defective inverters for credits towards the 6000xp, but that seems to be a case by case basis.

This is your ticket to resolving the flicker.

Hello, I need help resolving the flickering lights with eg4 6500ex.

I verified grounding screw with inverter from video and pictures from downloads mentioned in other posts.

I removed the grounding screw. What settings do I need to change ? Enabled and disabled in Setting 42 still causes inverter light flickering.

Thank you for any help
Get in on the deal they are offering to get store credit.

If you keep the 6500EX's, where will you source parts eventually? SS is basically abandoning the Voltronic relationship due to the problems with the 6500EX. I doubt you will get any support or parts down the road.

You will not fix the light flicker with firmware or bonding. If you read the posts above about the H bridge, then understand this is a hardware fault and these units were defective from day one.

If you purchased the refurbished units that are not eligible for the credit towards the 18Kpv or 6000XP, then eat the loss and find another use such as portable power using the 6500EX or sell it.

The bonding screw should have remained in place, the firmware allows setting bonding or not having bonding.

Take my advice, get out from under this time wasting inverter. It isn't worth it long term.

Hello, I need help resolving the flickering lights with eg4 6500ex.

I verified grounding screw with inverter from video and pictures from downloads mentioned in other posts.

I removed the grounding screw. What settings do I need to change ? Enabled and disabled in Setting 42 still causes inverter light flickering.

Thank you for any help
On the most recent firmware version, it's advised to ensure the grounding screws are installed. Regarding setting 42, if you prefer the Neutral/Ground bond to be at the inverter, you should set it to DIS. If the Neutral/Ground bond is located elsewhere, set 42 to ENA.

Hello,

I have replaced the grounding screw back into the inverter. I have tried setting 42 both enabled and disabled and still the lights flicker. I have tired contacting Jared from Eg4 through private message , but still waiting to hear back from him.

I have my inverter connected the way Will Prowse showed in his youtube video. I cut the extension cord in half and used 1 part for AC input and other half for AC output. The tech support lady from signature solar says I need a 60 Amp cable in order to help stop the flickering lights. I am unfamiliar with electrical and grounding, but i seemed strange that if i am using the inverter as grounding that the cable would be the cause of the issue. I have attached 6 pictures. is what the signature solar tech support saying correct?

i was also told it need to be grounded to the chassis. i realize i cannot ground to the black metal box since the batteries are in the unit with bus bars. did she mean that i need to ground the the AC input to the chassis of the inverter?

how do i setup the proper ground on a mobile unit to stop the flickering lights?

Attachments

• pic 1.jpg
    pic 1.jpg
    169.7 KB · Views: 11
  • pic 2.jpg
    pic 2.jpg
    234 KB · Views: 11
  • pic 3.jpg
    pic 3.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 10
  • pic 4.jpg
    pic 4.jpg
    169.7 KB · Views: 11
  • pic 5.jpg
    pic 5.jpg
    234 KB · Views: 10
  • pic 6.jpg
    pic 6.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 11
On the most recent firmware version, it's advised to ensure the grounding screws are installed. Regarding setting 42, if you prefer the Neutral/Ground bond to be at the inverter, you should set it to DIS. If the Neutral/Ground bond is located elsewhere, set 42 to ENA.
Hello, I have private messaged you before to get help. have you seen my 2 prior messages? do you monitor private messages or only the public messages? i have also contacted the eg4 customer support page from your company website and left my information and details regarding the EG$ 6500ex inverter. I left a note with your name asking for assistance.

Hello,

I have replaced the grounding screw back into the inverter. I have tried setting 42 both enabled and disabled and still the lights flicker. I have tired contacting Jared from Eg4 through private message , but still waiting to hear back from him.

I have my inverter connected the way Will Prowse showed in his youtube video. I cut the extension cord in half and used 1 part for AC input and other half for AC output. The tech support lady from signature solar says I need a 60 Amp cable in order to help stop the flickering lights. I am unfamiliar with electrical and grounding, but i seemed strange that if i am using the inverter as grounding that the cable would be the cause of the issue. I have attached 6 pictures. is what the signature solar tech support saying correct?

i was also told it need to be grounded to the chassis. i realize i cannot ground to the black metal box since the batteries are in the unit with bus bars. did she mean that i need to ground the the AC input to the chassis of the inverter?

how do i setup the proper ground on a mobile unit to stop the flickering lights?
Since you're only connecting your AC IN when you plug into the wall (basically a mobile setup), you'll want to set option 42 to DIS which will enable the relay inside the inverter to create the G/N bond when your inverter is being powered from battery and not grid-bypass.

The chassis is already bonded to the ground connection of AC IN and AC Out, so when you plug into the wall outlet with the AC IN cord, the inverter will be grounded.

Unfortunately a lot of these units seem to have lights flickering a lot. Sometimes it's bad (cheap) light bulbs, sometimes it's devices plugged in causing the flickering but it seems like most of the instances I've heard of there's no explanation as to why the flickering actually happens.

Because of this issue (and others), many people have decided to utilize the new upgrade program and move towards the 6kXP or the 18kPV.
https://signaturesolar.com/upgrade-program

Hello,

I apologize for any confusion, but I haven't received a direct message from your account in my inbox. Could it be that it was sent to @EG4_Jarrett? After reviewing the pictures you sent, I strongly suggest connecting the AC output directly to a dedicated panel instead of using plug connections. Additionally, it's essential to ensure that the inverter settings are configured for a 60Hz output with 120V unless you live in a 50hz area.

Link to online manual: https://eg4electronics.com/categories/legacy products/eg4-6500ex-48-all-in-one-off-grid-inverter

I apologize for any confusion, but I haven't received a direct message from your account in my inbox. Could it be that it was sent to @EG4_Jarrett? After reviewing the pictures you sent, I strongly suggest connecting the AC output directly to a dedicated panel instead of using plug connections. Additionally, it's essential to ensure that the inverter settings are configured for a 60Hz output with 120V unless you live in a 50hz area.

Link to online manual: https://eg4electronics.com/categories/legacy products/eg4-6500ex-48-all-in-one-off-grid-inverter
It is a mobile application. Thus the cord.

Since you're only connecting your AC IN when you plug into the wall (basically a mobile setup), you'll want to set option 42 to DIS which will enable the relay inside the inverter to create the G/N bond when your inverter is being powered from battery and not grid-bypass.

The chassis is already bonded to the ground connection of AC IN and AC Out, so when you plug into the wall outlet with the AC IN cord, the inverter will be grounded.

Unfortunately a lot of these units seem to have lights flickering a lot. Sometimes it's bad (cheap) light bulbs, sometimes it's devices plugged in causing the flickering but it seems like most of the instances I've heard of there's no explanation as to why the flickering actually happens.

Because of this issue (and others), many people have decided to utilize the new upgrade program and move towards the 6kXP or the 18kPV.
https://signaturesolar.com/upgrade-program

Hello,
Just to be clear the grounding screw inside the inverter is what grounds the inverter chassis? I DON'T use the AC in. I just put it there in case I would ever need it for some reason. I thought it a waste to throw out since I cut it to use the other half for AC out.

Why would i need a 60amp rated cable to AC Out for 120v electricity? The ac out is also grounded. That's what signature solar tech support told me.

have you spoken to tech support Jarett from Eg4? I have sent a private message to him about a week or two ago about getting help. I have not heard back. Have you tried to private message him? Has he responded?

Last edited:
Just to be clear the grounding screw inside the inverter is what grounds the inverter chassis?
The screw allows the G/N relay to bond the ground and neutral together. All the ground terminals should already be bonded together.

Why would i need a 60amp rated cable to AC Out for 120v electricity? The ac out is also grounded. That's what signature solar tech support told me.
You would only need a 60a rated cable if you plan to try and use the full potential of the inverter. Otherwise you can set option 41 to limit the discharge current from the battery. That setting is the DC current, so if you had a 15a AC cable connected to the AC Out, you would probably want to set option 41 to a max of 35a.

have you spoken to tech support Jarett from Eg4? I have sent a private message to him about a week or two ago about getting help. I have not heard back. Have you tried to private message him? Has he responded?
Did you not see his comment back to you?

Hi,

Yes, I messaged Jarrett by private message 2 times. Maybe he only sees public messages. I'll stop trying to reach him privately. Will try public only from now on. Not sure what is going on but he is not responding.

I only use the AC in during emergency if i am extremely low on battery power. That issue luckily has Not happened yet. I have ONLY tested that it works and keep the AC IN settings at 10 amps when charging from outlet if ever needed. AC IN is also grounded. The ground screw is in the inverter and the chassis is bonded.

The AC out also has a ground cable connected to it as well.

Please elaborate on the specific reason inverter or required to be connected to dedicated panel? The AC OUT is grounded and the cable is rated for 120v. I am using this in a mobile application i do not connect it to a home.

The inverter is 60 hz. I have verified previously with signature solar tech support about TWO Years ago when I first began complaining about issues after purchase of unit. I was told to check the 60hz 120v when I was having inverter and BMS connection issues. It was found to be a faulty Ethernet cable sent and software issue. i upgraded the inverter firmware and received a replacement cable. I have never been able to get the watch power application to work either. It would NOT register. The application seemed to crash or lose connection🤷‍♂️.

Also, I reside in California.

Last edited:
The screw allows the G/N relay to bond the ground and neutral together. All the ground terminals should already be bonded together.

You would only need a 60a rated cable if you plan to try and use the full potential of the inverter. Otherwise you can set option 41 to limit the discharge current from the battery. That setting is the DC current, so if you had a 15a AC cable connected to the AC Out, you would probably want to set option 41 to a max of 35a.

Did you not see his comment back to you?

Hi, no Jarrett is from EG4 & Jared is from Signature Solar if I have it correct.

I have the AC IN set to 10 amps in case I would ever need , but have not at this time and likely will never use it.

I have setting 41 NOW at 30 amps for discharge from batteries. Would that reduce or eliminate flickering lights?

The AC OUT Jared said I require a dedicated panel, but i do NOT understand why. Will the dedicated panel stop the flickering lights and HOW? I DON'T understand how it will stop the flickering lights. What will the dedicated panel do for me that the AC OUT to a multi outlet extension cord does. I can enable or disable ground on the outlet if needed I am not connecting this to my home as it is a mobile unit from pictures.

Hi, no Jarrett is from EG4 & Jared is from Signature Solar if I have it correct.

I have the AC IN set to 10 amps in case I would ever need , but have not at this time and likely will never use it.

I have setting 41 NOW at 30 amps for discharge from batteries. Would that reduce or eliminate flickering lights?

The AC OUT Jared said I require a dedicated panel, but i do NOT understand why. Will the dedicated panel stop the flickering lights and HOW? I DON'T understand how it will stop the flickering lights. What will the dedicated panel do for me that the AC OUT to a multi outlet extension cord does. I can enable or disable ground on the outlet if needed I am not connecting this to my home as it is a mobile unit from pictures.

Both Jarrett and I are currently with EG4. The primary questions revolve around the system's current grounding location and whether the flickering lights occur solely when using the battery or when both the battery and solar are connected. Additionally, would it be possible for you to share a video demonstrating how the inverter is connected when the flickering occurs?

Both Jarrett and I are currently with EG4. The primary questions revolve around the system's current grounding location and whether the flickering lights occur solely when using the battery or when both the battery and solar are connected. Additionally, would it be possible for you to share a video demonstrating how the inverter is connected when the flickering occurs?

Hello,

I have had flickering lights during BOTH the day while sun is charging batteries Via solar panels & at night when discharging from Batteries.

Where do i send the video? What recording formats are accepted and uploaded to the DIY solar forum?

The video file is 226MB. Website has Refused the .mp4 format from my mobile phone I used in recording. Does this platform have a upload limit?

Thank you for your help.

Last edited:
Good point I'll post it on YouTube.

Hello,

I have had flickering lights during BOTH the day while sun is charging batteries Via solar panels & at night when discharging from Batteries.

Where do i send the video? What recording formats are accepted and uploaded to the DIY solar forum?

The video file is 226MB. Website has Refused the .mp4 format from my mobile phone I used in recording. Does this platform have a upload limit?

Thank you for your help.

Hello ,

I have uploaded to YouTube. Not sure why it says premiere. I just assumed that I wanted to see it with others. Not familiar with YouTube uploading rules and process

The jack loves to watch everything i do....cats will be cats.

I too have same issue (blinking lights) with my recently commissioned two EG4-6500ex (purchased May 2022 w/ black terminal and bonding screws installed) setup with no AC-IN and with battery and solar input.

I tested my setup with only one led work light (48inch) connected to 15a branch circuit AC-OUT.
via a 60a transfer switch (common neutral and n/g bond) with setting #42 enabled (firmware 79.71) on a 15a branch circuit.

My results...
I have seen noticeable flicking at night with battery only.
I have seen unbearable flickering during the day with solar and batteries at 99% capacity.

Solution...wait these are under warranty.!!!
So I reached out to SS support and I am waiting a response. These units are new.
I am less than 2 years into 5 year warranty (because I bought them with batteries). I stored them for a year+ while I installed the rest of my solar system. I spent $10K+ on batteries and other components from SS. I made these purchases in good faith and I am not happy to be told its a dead end product even before I can install and use them. EG4/SS needs to make this right.

I suggest let us with units under warranty be able to purchase new 6000xp (one for one) and get a FULL refund credit when we return the defective 6500ex (with free return shipping).
OR
Because the EG4 6500exs' are defective we should be able to KEEP the 6500ex inverters (warranty cancelled) and allow us to "upgrade" to 6000xp as a replacement for $500-$650each(or at cost) at a minimum for our trouble.

I too have same issue (blinking lights) with my recently commissioned two EG4-6500ex (purchased May 2022 w/ black terminal and bonding screws installed) setup with no AC-IN and with battery and solar input.

I tested my setup with only one led work light (48inch) connected to 15a branch circuit AC-OUT.
via a 60a transfer switch (common neutral and n/g bond) with setting #42 enabled (firmware 79.71) on a 15a branch circuit.

My results...
I have seen noticeable flicking at night with battery only.
I have seen unbearable flickering during the day with solar and batteries at 99% capacity.

Solution...wait these are under warranty.!!!
So I reached out to SS support and I am waiting a response. These units are new.
I am less than 2 years into 5 year warranty (because I bought them with batteries). I stored them for a year+ while I installed the rest of my solar system. I spent $10K+ on batteries and other components from SS. I made these purchases in good faith and I am not happy to be told its a dead end product even before I can install and use them. EG4/SS needs to make this right.

I suggest let us with units under warranty be able to purchase new 6000xp (one for one) and get a FULL refund credit when we return the defective 6500ex (with free return shipping).
OR
Because the EG4 6500exs' are defective we should be able to KEEP the 6500ex inverters (warranty cancelled) and allow us to "upgrade" to 6000xp as a replacement for $500-$650each(or at cost) at a minimum for our trouble.

Hi,

In my case if Signature Solar or Eg4 can replace my unit with a WORKING unit NOT flickering I am more than satisfied with a replacement 6500ex.

I have no need for the eg4 6000xp since i DON'T have anything I can currently use with 240v, but if a full credit is the only option toward the purchase price of the eg4 6000xp after NOT being able to fix the eg4 6500ex I'll take it.

Hello,

I recorded video showing the EG4 6500EX inverter causing INSANE amount of flickering lights to the refrigerator bulb & extension cord light indicator.

My brother in law has exact same setup as i do, but with EG4 3000w yellow smaller inverter version and does NOT have any issues with his inverter flickering. 🤷‍♂️

I uploaded to YouTube

Last edited:
Back