diy solar

diy solar

EG4 6500ex and 6000ex flickering lights and firmware

Unfortunately I'm not aware of any other "fixes" outside of replacing the inverters. I know for many that's really not an option due to cost.

I've heard of SS swapping out defective inverters for credits towards the 6000xp, but that seems to be a case by case basis.

Unfortunately I'm not aware of any other "fixes" outside of replacing the inverters. I know for many that's really not an option due to cost.

I've heard of SS swapping out defective inverters for credits towards the 6000xp, but that seems to be a case by case basis.

Damn, so I'm likely stuck with a massive flickering light inverter? Makes me nervous to buy or recommend eg4 products to anyone now. They might buy a lemon and not get help.

Damn, so I'm likely stuck with a massive flickering light inverter? Makes me nervous to buy or recommend eg4 products to anyone now. They might buy a lemon and not get help.

To resolve flickering lights with these inverters, it's recommended to apply the latest firmware update and verify the installation of the neutral/ground screw.

To resolve flickering lights with these inverters, it's recommended to apply the latest firmware update and verify the installation of the neutral/ground screw.

Already have latest firmware. How do i verify neutral/ ground screw is installed?

Do you have have a video possibly on YouTube? Somewhere else?

Already have latest firmware. How do i verify neutral/ ground screw is installed?

Do you have have a video possibly on YouTube? Somewhere else?
I never did a video (should have though) so I’m going from memory. Shut down the inverter, grab your multimeter and check for continuity between the AC Out ground and neutral. If there’s continuity then the screw should be installed. If there’s no continuity then there’s no screw.

I never did a video (should have though) so I’m going from memory. Shut down the inverter, grab your multimeter and check for continuity between the AC Out ground and neutral. If there’s continuity then the screw should be installed. If there’s no continuity then there’s no screw.
You need to completely isolate the inverter(s) by disconnecting L, N, G from AC input and AC output. Then test for continuity.

Also check for screws on boards as instructed by EG4 support.

You need to completely isolate the inverter(s) by disconnecting L, N, G from AC input and AC output. Then test for continuity.

That is correct, nothing connected for wires, inverter off, check for continuity between N&G.

With the later updates, N-G dynamic bonding can be changed in settings.

Hello, been about 6 weeks since last posting on this forum. Has ANYONE found the fix to the eg4 6500ex STROBING LIGHTS? It is INSANE. My inverter is an Early model from March of 2022.

Happens at night WITHOUT PV input as well as during the day with PV input from solar charging. I am latest firmware and it doesn't NOT fix the issue. 🤦‍♂️

Thank you for Amy help you guys can provide.
As described in this thread, try to find a load which causes the flickering (until you've checked the bonding screws are inserted and running the latest firmware). In many cases a specific load (it must not be a huge load), causes the EG4-6500EX to start some LED's (on the same phase) pulsing.
In short: If flickering happens (usually when low load on the AIO's), switch off breaker by breaker in your house sub-panel until the flickering stops. Now you know in which room the load is located which causes the AIO to produce the "unstable" output voltage. Now try to find the load inside the room by switching the breaker back on and disconnect one by one load until the LED pulsing stops. At least, now you know which load is "problematic" for the EG4-6500EX and you may replace it... or something else (e.g. put an online double conversion UPS in front of the problematic load). Not a real solution, but a possible workaround.

Thanks! I thought I was missing something...

Thank you for all the info, but where will the screw be located? I have no idea. If i had pictures, video or a guide I would have a point of reference.

Does anyone have a picture, guide or video I can reference?

Thank you for your time and help

Thank you for all the info, but where will the screw be located? I have no idea. If i had pictures, video or a guide I would have a point of reference.

There are some Yo*T*be videos e.g. this

It's not hard to remove/insert them. One hint, use a screwdriver with a magnet if the unit is already mounted on the wall (for sure, disconnect everything from the unit before doing it! Wait at least 15 minutes after disconnect before opening the case ... the capacitors may still have high voltage for a couple of minutes...)

Download this very good document from the resource section of this forum from @FilterGuy about bonding (also includes pictures where the bonding screw is located).

After re-inserted the bonding screw follow the instructions in this video how to enable/disable the bonding via software setting in the newest firmware (while the bonding screw is permanent in place).

Last edited:

Here it is.

Here’s the other grounding screws they ask you to look for as well. Take pictures of everything while you’re there.

Here’s the other grounding screws they ask you to look for as well. Take pictures of everything while you’re there.

Hello,

Is there 1 screw to remove or 2? When I have looked for info on it, I assumed it was only 1 screw that needed to be removed.

The YouTube video linked in a previous post also only referenced 1 n/g bonding screw.

Hello,

Is there 1 screw to remove or 2? When I have looked for info on it, I assumed it was only 1 screw that needed to be removed.

The YouTube video linked in a previous post also only referenced 1 n/g bonding screw.
There’s only 1 in the 6500

Go to this page, hit the download button on the top right of the page. Scroll thru the pdf file to the last page and the photos show the location.

Hello, I need help resolving the flickering lights with eg4 6500ex.

I verified grounding screw with inverter from video and pictures from downloads mentioned in other posts.

I removed the grounding screw. What settings do I need to change ? Enabled and disabled in Setting 42 still causes inverter light flickering.

Thank you for any help

Hello, I need help resolving the flickering lights with eg4 6500ex.

I verified grounding screw with inverter from video and pictures from downloads mentioned in other posts.

I removed the grounding screw. What settings do I need to change ? Enabled and disabled in Setting 42 still causes inverter light flickering.

Thank you for any help

It’s recommend that you keep all grounding screws, and add if they were initially missing.

Where is your NG bond?

The latest firmware should allow you to control NG bond. If you are relying on the inverter for NG bond then I think you need to use setting 42 disabled.

If you want to fix the flickering then get a different inverter.

Last edited:
Back