diy solar

diy solar

EG4 6500EX Neutral Bonding Advice Needed

Hi all, just wanted to resurrect this topic for a minute to get your feedback. Below shows how I intend to implement my inverters with a change over switch and NGB. Would appreciate your feedback. I know I may have beaten this topic to death so I apologize :)

Thanks in advance.

1677591423165.png

N/G bond is in the wrong place.
It must be in the main panel. (First panel from the grid) otherwise you create a parallel path between neutral and ground. Which puts neutral current on the ground conductor.
Your diagram actually has 4 parallel neutral return paths, from the transfer switch. Neutral and ground through the inverters and neutral and ground between the transfer switch and main panel.

Actually I just realized that you are missing a lot of grounding. You don't show any grounding for the main panel, inverters, and combiner panel.

Actually I just realized that you are missing a lot of grounding. You don't show any grounding for the main panel, inverters, and combiner panel.
Not sure I follow. The chassis of the panels and inverters are grounded but just not bonded to neutral. I labelled them but didn't show the ground. I'm so glad I sent this diagram because I thought I had this correct :)

Just move the ground rod connection and N/G bond to the main panel. If everything else is grounded (just not shown in the diagram) then you should be good.

Ok. So here's the revised design. My question is this, the ground terminal on the EG4 6500 EX inverters, is that being connected to the same ground that is bonded to neutral or should a seperate ground be created for the inverters which is not bonded to any neutrals. Let me know if this design makes sense now. Also, please note that the NGB screw from both inverters are removed. Let me know if they should remain. Thanks again.

1677677465126.png

Run an EGC from inverter input back to the main service panel. You can daisy chain them, or run the EGC to a busbar with a single wire back to main panel.

I like that you are using a 3 pole double throw so the inverters can be totally bypassed. That is how I did mine.

Here's a tip. As tempting as it might be to add an occasional load to your inverter output panel (because it's conveniently located), don't do it. They won't have power if you have to take the inverters offline. It's come back to bite me more than once...

I just used a cheap Homeline 70A breaker panel with a 60A breaker in it, shown here on the left. It is backfed, was a little trouble sourcing a hold down for the breaker. I ended up buying 2 different holddowns, one with a longer screw and the other with the bracket. Plus it is labeled as backfed on the breaker. I only had so much room and wanted the panel in a certain spot so that is why I went with it. One thing about it, it doesn't have any place to tap in another breaker. It can't be used for anything other than the purpose it was put in there for.Breaker panel 2.jpg

Last edited:
Ok. So here's the revised design. My question is this, the ground terminal on the EG4 6500 EX inverters, is that being connected to the same ground that is bonded to neutral or should a seperate ground be created for the inverters which is not bonded to any neutrals. Let me know if this design makes sense now. Also, please note that the NGB screw from both inverters are removed. Let me know if they should remain. Thanks again.

View attachment 137415
One grounding system for everything.
Everything is connected to the grounding system.
Otherwise looks good.

Run an EGC from inverter input back to the main service panel. You can daisy chain them, or run the EGC to a busbar with a single wire back to main panel.

I like that you are using a 3 pole double throw so the inverters can be totally bypassed. That is how I did mine.
Thanks.

Back