diy solar

diy solar

EG4 Chargeverter help.

I guess the biggest problem i have is that it says on signature solar's website that it can be used with a 240 OR a 120V system with an adapter. If there is no adapter that works, then why post it on their website? i need to find an electrician. Unfortunately, I live so far off grid (accessible only by atv (6 miles back in the woods)), that i don't think i could get an electrician back there to help unless i pay him a premium. I do appreciate all the replies. I guess i'm just a little ticked that they say it'll work with any generator, but even a 10K generator is quitting on startup. I'd like to get my solar up and running as soon as i can, but i need a 48v battery charger. At $400, i thought my problem was fixed.
Any electrician you find could whip you up an adapter or rewire your battery charger without visiting your location.

I guess the biggest problem i have is that it says on signature solar's website that it can be used with a 240 OR a 120V system with an adapter. If there is no adapter that works, then why post it on their website? i need to find an electrician. Unfortunately, I live so far off grid (accessible only by atv (6 miles back in the woods)), that i don't think i could get an electrician back there to help unless i pay him a premium. I do appreciate all the replies. I guess i'm just a little ticked that they say it'll work with any generator, but even a 10K generator is quitting on startup. I'd like to get my solar up and running as soon as i can, but i need a 48v battery charger. At $400, i thought my problem was fixed.
A 10k generator wouldn’t shut down at startup if you set the value at 50 amps then 100. It takes less then a minute.

You wouldn’t have to have an electrician come to you. If you aren’t comfortable wiring it yourself, you could just show them the schematic and supply them with what’s needed. They could make an adapter in 5 minutes. You could meet them in a parking lot somewhere. The wouldn’t have to be at your house.

A 10k generator wouldn’t shut down at startup if you set the value at 50 amps then 100. It takes less then a minute.

You wouldn’t have to have an electrician come to you. If you aren’t comfortable wiring it yourself, you could just show them the schematic and supply them with what’s needed. They could make an adapter in 5 minutes. You could meet them in a parking lot somewhere. The wouldn’t have to be at your house.
Thank you for your help !

You really need to understand electricity if you're buying from a DIY shop like signature.
The receptacle on your generator is called TT-30R. It is 120V @ 30A rated.
The Chargeverter looks like L14-30P to me. Can someone confirm? That seems a little "light duty".

One confirmed that I have the plugs/recepticals right, I'm sure we can find you an adapter.

And that's fine if you're happy doing that each time, some of us are going to need this to work without monkeying with the automation. It's going to be more of an issue with a 4k generator wound at 120V. What's the lowest charge rate you can set on the chargeverter?

And that's fine if you're happy doing that each time, some of us are going to need this to work without monkeying with the automation. It's going to be more of an issue with a 4k generator wound at 120V. What's the lowest charge rate you can set on the chargeverter?
I think it’s 10 amps? I can check when I hook it up again. They’ll eventually have a soft start option on the newer ones.

I know that Bently said not to alter the male end of the cord (and you shouldn't alter the other end if you don't know what you are doing). ...

You can use the adapter in the amazon link if:
On the CV, only 3 of the 4 wires are connected in the male plug. The prong with the hook is the ground. Leave that one alone. On both sides of that are "X and Y'. Take one of them (doesn't matter which) and move it to the open prong (prong across form the one with a hook). Attach it to the adapter, and use duct tape or electrical tape to tape them together semi-permanently. Include a warning that plug has been rewired, and must be restored if disconnected.

Disclaimer: Do the above at your own risk.

Note: If you ever do plug it into a real 240v socket (without fixing it), you will only get 120v, and not 240v. You need the prong/wire that was moved in order to get 240. With the re-wire, you have one leg of split phase and neutral, which is 120v. You need two legs of split phase to get 240v.

As I am completely braindead when it comes to electrical terminology in regards to the prior responses...is the link you shared the correct adapter? it looks like it. Do i have to do any re-wiring of the cord that came with the chargeverter or is this adapter just a plug and play? When i spoke with signature solar yesterday they said if i tamper with the cord it came with it would immediately void the warranty on the product. Thank you for your help.
No
That adapter won't work.

You don't need an electrician.
It's very simple to replace the cord end.
Get the one that matches your generator.
The cord has 3 wires. The end has 3 screws.
Yellow wire with green strip is ground. The screw connected to the prong that has the L shape, is for ground. The other two wires go on each of the other two screws. It doesn't matter which one goes where. Just one on each.

You don't need an electrician.
It's very simple to replace the cord end.
Get the one that matches your generator.
The cord has 3 wires. The end has 3 screws.
Yellow wire with green strip is ground. The screw connected to the prong that has the L shape, is for ground. The other two wires go on each of the other two screws. It doesn't matter which one goes where. Just one on each.
I think he was trying to avoid voiding his warranty. If it was me or you, that’s what we would do. I don’t really count on getting anyone to stand behind a warranty at SS, Aliblabla or AliExpress.

Can't void the warranty if you follow their posted pinout.
In my opinion.
Just switch the old end back, before returning it for warranty work. There's no way of telling it was done.

I don't know if they really could void the warranty on it for changing the plug. Would have to show a failure is due to that, and really unless you connected a live line to the ground (which would be blatantly obvious from damage caused) you cannot even mess it up.

don’t really count on getting anyone to stand behind a warranty at SS, Aliblabla or AliExpress.
I do count on SS to honor their written warranty, they're a business out of Texas and there are various laws to protect consumers against selling products with a set of terms that you will not honor. You ship products out of China, you're going to expect some failures and returns. And frankly, there have been posts here about SS honoring product warranty... How easy that is, that's a different issue.

It's going beyond me how SS is going to determine what products get approved for warranty and which do not when we've got devices leaving receiving that require internal board changes to work right - that means cracking the case and although I think this is beyond the depth of most consumers, apparently it's OK and does not result in an unwarrantied item (in specific cases with specific changes). My thought would be if they show how to modify or use it in a manner, that shouldn't void the warranty.

I want to plug the chargeverter into my 120v wall outlet and then directly to my battery rack of 6 EG4 LifePo4 batteries. The goal is to top them up at home before transporting them to my off grid cabin for installation with my solar array.

Am I correct in understanding that a simple L14-30 to 120v adapter will not work?

If so, then how *exactly* should I modify the adapter OR the chargeverter male end plug to make it work with 120v wall outlet?

Am I correct in understanding that a simple L14-30 to 120v adapter will not work?
Correct
If so, then how *exactly* should I modify the adapter OR the chargeverter male end plug to make it work with 120v wall outlet?
Replace the cord end with a 120v one.
Brown wire = line (hot)
Blue wire = neutral
Green/yellow stripe = ground

Back