diy solar

diy solar

EG4 Chargeverter

Has anyone ordered one recently and was it shipped promptly and arrived not damaged, everyone happy with theirs so far, no surprises? Asking for a friend ;) (am reconsidering my cancellation now that they've resolved their "issues").
2/25/23 (saturday) ordered a CV
2/27/23 (monday) status changed to Backorder
3/3/23 (friday) status changed to shipped
3/3/23 (friday)tracking info shows as "shipment information sent to fedex
3/7/23 (tuesday) tracking shows picked up by fedex
3/10/23 (friday) delivered

Due to other people's comments, I opened up the unit, and one of the power converters was loose (not fully seated). I pushed both boards in to fully seat them.

In looking at the wires, it seems like the red wire for the battery comes out of the breaker. Makes me think the unit is powered even with the breaker off. You would think they would place the breaker on the AC line. but then they would need a double breaker. Don't rely on the breaker if magic smoke starts coming out. In the manual, it does label it as the "battery breaker".

2/25/23 (saturday) ordered a CV
2/27/23 (monday) status changed to Backorder
3/3/23 (friday) status changed to shipped
3/3/23 (friday)tracking info shows as "shipment information sent to fedex
3/7/23 (tuesday) tracking shows picked up by fedex
3/10/23 (friday) delivered

Due to other people's comments, I opened up the unit, and one of the power converters was loose (not fully seated). I pushed both boards in to fully seat them.

In looking at the wires, it seems like the red wire for the battery comes out of the breaker. Makes me think the unit is powered even with the breaker off. You would think they would place the breaker on the AC line. but then they would need a double breaker. Don't rely on the breaker if magic smoke starts coming out. In the manual, it does label it as the "battery breaker".
Thank you for this detailed status update!

Tested for my use case this morning.
The object is to keep the battery SOC just above the back to grid setting. Until the sun comes up and starts charging.
I set the chargeverter to 0.02v higher than the back to grid setting. And it held it there just like I wanted.
Increasing and decreasing amperage, as loads demanded.
When solar production took over. The chargeverter dropped the output to zero and just sat there.
I'm very satisfied that it will do what I wanted it for.

Tested for my use case this morning.
The object is to keep the battery SOC just above the back to grid setting. Until the sun comes up and starts charging.
I set the chargeverter to 0.02v higher than the back to grid setting. And it held it there just like I wanted.
Increasing and decreasing amperage, as loads demanded.
When solar production took over. The chargeverter dropped the output to zero and just sat there.
I'm very satisfied that it will do what I wanted it for.
That's exactly what I'm using mine for.

It was about 2 hours from when it would have switched back to grid. And when the solar took over.
And it used $0.15 from the grid to keep it from switching. A lot cheaper than if it had switched over and switched back. Which would have been a couple of dollars. (Guessing)
And yes, "a lot" is a relative term. lol

Is 12 awg wire size enough for this chargever? Manual only mentions 30amp breaker
NEC limits 12 awg to 20 amps. 10 awg is restricted to 30 amps per NEC. Depending on the length of wire, duration of load, bundled, ambient temperature...you could determine your needs or just go with NEC requirement of 10 awg for 30 amp.

Is 12 awg wire size enough for this chargever? Manual only mentions 30amp breaker
Yes,
As long as the 12 gauge is protected by a 20a breaker or fuse.
You will have to dial down the charging amps to keep from tripping the protection.

A switch yeah. Doesn't need to be a breaker though. Guess I missed that it fully powers up as soon as it is plugged in.

Adding a switch is simple.
Or just unplug it.
A cord and plug is an acceptable means of disconnect, per NEC.

A 30 amp switch or a Contactor controlled by a switch?
You can get a 30A double pole toggle switch at Home Depot for 15 bucks if you really want. Or simply just unplug it.

Regardless, if SS really wanted to, 30A double pole rocker switches and such exist. But that adds cost, and the intended use is with a generator, so just plug and go. No real need for an AC side switch built into it.

You can get a 30A double pole toggle switch at Home Depot for 15 bucks if you really want. Or simply just unplug it.

Regardless, if SS really wanted to, 30A double pole rocker switches and such exist. But that adds cost, and the intended use is with a generator, so just plug and go. No real need for an AC side switch built into it.
I was stuck on the automation idea. Using a 120v wifi switch to control a 2 leg contactor.

Mine will stay connected to grid. Unless the AIO switches to bypass mode. Via a DPDT relay.

There are a couple of important things in that statement:
30A - Be sure to use a 30A switch, even if you don't intend to run the charger at full power
Double Pole - If you are running this inverter with a 240V plug, put a dual pole switch on it. 240 split phase uses two hots and both should be switched. Even if you intend to use a 120V adapter, you should use a dual pole switch in case the unit gets used with 240v at some point.

I heard that SS is advising to turn off solar when using the chargeverter. Didn't see that in the manual anywhere and didn't make a whole lot of sense to me as to why they would be making that advisement.

Back