diy solar

diy solar

EG4 new AIO rated 12K output and 18kPV aka "EG4-18Kpv-12LV"

I haven't read this whole thread & am still learning but I too have 2-6500EX's. I've thought about expanding & adding a third. I guess with the cost differential & being completely off-grid I'm not sure I see the reasons to upgrade to 2 of these over the 3-6500EX's??? In honestly curious as to why? TIA ?
Are you sure upgrading to 3 is even an option? If you're using split phase, then you'll need multiples of 2 of the 6500EX inverters....so setup as 2, 4 or 6. If you have them configured as only outputting 120 volts, then you can use 3 or if you're configuring in 3 phase power, then 3 inverters can be used. But I'm pretty sure if it's split phase power, you'll need multiples of 2.

Are you sure upgrading to 3 is even an option? If you're using split phase, then you'll need multiples of 2 of the 6500EX inverters....so setup as 2, 4 or 6. If you have them configured as only outputting 120 volts, then you can use 3 or if you're configuring in 3 phase power, then 3 inverters can be used. But I'm pretty sure if it's split phase power, you'll need multiples of 2.
That is correct. You’d need 2-4-6 of the 6500’s for split phase.

You are correct, I hadn't realized this point. Thx

My cells just arrived and I'll start to put them together to top balance in a few days. My question on this inverter is...let's say I have only 16K of PV and my loads are 4K, am I getting 12K (16k-4k) to charge my batteries or am I getting 8K (12k-4k) to charge the batteries?

After watching the technical videos on the Lux and Fortress 'equivalent' of this inverter, I'm leaning towards abandoning my build-in-progress with the 2x 6500EX (will probably sell them on ebay or something-completely new, haven't even turned them on as yet) and getting this one. Fortunately for me, most of the components that I have been accumulating for the past few months for the 6500EX build can be used for the 18K PV.

The EG4 6500EX is a good unit really. It would depend on when you purchased as to whether you might see problems. The units built until a this past winter may have problems, not all do. Gavin has a video where he removed the LV6548's again and installed the latest EG4 6500EX and reported no problems.

I threw everything at the 6500EX's when I had them installed and it did perform to expectations. No issues there. It is the flickering light/voltage regulation problem and dirty sine that was a problem. SS has those 2 inverters now, I will update when I get replacements installed. For now I'm running 2 MPP LV6548's and have scoped these and they are clean power. No flickering lights and output voltage has been rock steady. My array was setup for 400VOC due to the distance from array to inverters so I'd have to run more wire if I went totally LV6548.

I would not get in any hurry to dismiss the 6500EX. As you already have these in hand, I'd get my array setup, work on the batteries and then decide if you want to test the 6500EX's or switch to a new unproven AIO inverter. By new and unproven, just like the 6500EX compared to the LV6548, the 18K PV unit may have changes compared to the Luxpower version that can create problems.

I like the fact that I can place the 18K PV between my meter and house without having to be an expert on neutral ground bonding. This inverter apparently does support 50Hz so connecting my service to it will not be an issue. I was planning on doing completely off grid, but connecting this to the grid in self-usage mode seems to make for a good 'connect-it-and-forget-it' type setup for my use-case.

The EG4 6500EX is a good unit really. It would depend on when you purchased as to whether you might see problems. The units built until a this past winter may have problems, not all do. Gavin has a video where he removed the LV6548's again and installed the latest EG4 6500EX and reported no problems.

I threw everything at the 6500EX's when I had them installed and it did perform to expectations. No issues there. It is the flickering light/voltage regulation problem and dirty sine that was a problem. SS has those 2 inverters now, I will update when I get replacements installed. For now I'm running 2 MPP LV6548's and have scoped these and they are clean power. No flickering lights and output voltage has been rock steady. My array was setup for 400VOC due to the distance from array to inverters so I'd have to run more wire if I went totally LV6548.

I would not get in any hurry to dismiss the 6500EX. As you already have these in hand, I'd get my array setup, work on the batteries and then decide if you want to test the 6500EX's or switch to a new unproven AIO inverter. By new and unproven, just like the 6500EX compared to the LV6548, the 18K PV unit may have changes compared to the Luxpower version that can create problems.
My 6500EX were from Jul/Aug 2022...so I guess the very first ones that came off the mass production line.

Correct. The 4AWG is tough to fit. Was it these earlier versions that were riddled with issues? Don't mean to go too off topic as this thread is really for the 18K PV.
The hardware problems occurred somewhere around November of last year I believe from what James has said. Those earlier versions didn’t have any common problems that I know of other then the fault 61 issue. And that was resolved with firmware.

The hardware problems occurred somewhere around November of last year I believe from what James has said. Those earlier versions didn’t have any common problems that I know of other then the fault 61 issue. And that was resolved with firmware.
Ok, thks.

From my experience with the inverters I received that were manufactured mid 2022 with the larger gray terminals, the hardware problem started around then.

From my experience with the inverters I received that were manufactured mid 2022 with the larger gray terminals, the hardware problem started around then.
Thanks for the feedback. Appreciated.

Question for @SignatureSolarJames or anyone else who knows: What is the AC pass through for these inverters in parallel? The spec sheet on Signature’s site doesn’t even mention parallel (although the manual does). Will two units provide 400 amps? Three units 600? I ask because the Fortress Power guy made a comment somewhere that we shouldn’t count on more than about a hundred amps of pass through added per unit paralleled.
I've been doing quite a bit of reading on the Lux and Fortress which are quite similar to the EG4 18K PV. Assuming there's no fundamental change in how EG4 is handling this. the first inverter will do 200A and each subsequent inverter will do 100A pass through. So if you're looking to do 400A pass through, you'll need 3 of the inverters in parallel (200A for inverter 1, and 100A each for inverters 2 and 3). Again...this is assuming the EG4 version is hasn't changed in this regard.

I've been doing quite a bit of reading on the Lux and Fortress which are quite similar to the EG4 18K PV. Assuming there's no fundamental change in how EG4 is handling this. the first inverter will do 200A and each subsequent inverter will do 100A pass through. So if you're looking to do 400A pass through, you'll need 3 of the inverters in parallel (200A for inverter 1, and 100A each for inverters 2 and 3). Again...this is assuming the EG4 version is hasn't changed in this regard.
We can review this, but I believe thaat 400A is possible with 2 units

that's wrong info I believe. As long as your main panel can handle a sufficiently high current, technically, paralleling two inverters to the grid is like having two bypass switches that can support a current of 400A. The maths behind why three units are required to support 400A is difficult to understand.
PS: Due to impedance differences in the circuit, there may be a slight loss of equal current distribution.

that's wrong info I believe. As long as your main panel can handle a sufficiently high current, technically, paralleling two inverters to the grid is like having two bypass switches that can support a current of 400A. The maths behind why three units are required to support 400A is difficult to understand.
PS: Due to impedance differences in the circuit, there may be a slight loss of equal current distribution.
That is exactly the case. the wires connecting everything together might be off with different length/impedance .
If 400 amps pass through would be flowing with 2 inverters in parallel, one inverter might carry 220 and the other 180 amps.
I think it is, in general, not a bad idea to degrade the pass through current per inverter with multiple units in parallel.
eg:
2 units: 380 amps (20% derated)
3 units: 450 amps (another 20% derated per inverter)

Last edited:
That is exactly the case. the wires connecting everything together might be off different length/impedance .
If 400 amps pass through would be flowing, one inverter might have 220 and the other 180.
I think it is in general not a bad idea to degrade the passthrough current with multiple

that's what the technical video from fortress said. and i agree, if 1 inverter can do 200A, then 2 in parallel should be able to do 400A. What the guy in the video was explaining was that there was some type of intentional derating for the subsequent inverters in parallel. keep in mind of course that the eg4 18k pv may do things differently.

that's what the technical video from fortress said. and i agree, if 1 inverter can do 200A, then 2 in parallel should be able to do 400A. What the guy in the video was explaining was that there was some type of intentional derating for the subsequent inverters in parallel. keep in mind of course that the eg4 18k pv may do things differently.
where's that video? can you pls provide a link

Maybe I am just slow, but the response confuses me. It starts by saying "That's wrong info I believe" but then seems to support the idea that 3 inverters are needed. Can 400A be safely supported with 2 inverters, or is there some de-rating that should be done?

Maybe I am just slow, but the response confuses me. It starts by saying "That's wrong info I believe" but then seems to support the idea that 3 inverters are needed. Can 400A be safely supported with 2 inverters, or is there some de-rating that should be done?
lol. really? excuse my English expression then. I was saying "believe" meant it may have other reasons making Fortress people say so. but trying to clearly state that 2 in parallel is just 2 switches in parallel, technically they together can support max. 400A bypass current. and after that, I said, it's hard to understand why it requires 3 pcs in parallel to support 300A. I wasn't 100% sure if any conditions missing behind this saying.

Can two units support 400a, yes.
Will a full 400a split equally between the two, likely not.
If you don't de-rate them, you will probably have nuisance tripping of one or the other.
(If you actually have a 400a load)

lol. really? excuse my English expression then. I was saying "believe" meant it may have other reasons making Fortress people say so. but trying to clearly state that 2 in parallel is just 2 switches in parallel, technically they together can support max. 400A bypass current. and after that, I said, it's hard to understand why it requires 3 pcs in parallel to support 300A. I wasn't 100% sure if any conditions missing behind this saying.
Thanks!!

diy solar

diy solar
Back