diy solar

diy solar

EG4 new AIO rated 12K output and 18kPV aka "EG4-18Kpv-12LV"

Did you guys see @Will Prowse update video?
In the video Will mentioned he updated the firmware multiple times. How do we update the firmware? I don't see it on the monitoring app or in the configurations on the unit screen. Also is there somewhere where the new firmware and changelogs can be found so we know if we are running the current version?

In the video Will mentioned he updated the firmware multiple times. How do we update the firmware? I don't see it on the monitoring app or in the configurations on the unit screen. Also is there somewhere where the new firmware and changelogs can be found so we know if we are running the current version?
I thought the same thing. There's no firmware listed on the website like there are other eg4 inverters. (https://eg4electronics.com/downloads/)

When I spoke to SS support last week they said there were no newer firmware versions, but I'm not sure my support guy was in the know any deeper than what's listed on the website.

Looking at the video again, something wasn't adding up. The manual states that the surge power for the inverter is 14,000W (10 min.), 16,000W (5 min) and yet going by Mason's numbers, the load was approx 14.8kW and it only ran for around 2 min before tripping.
@SignatureSolarJames @Eddie_Lux any comments on why the inverters didn't meet the listed spec? Looks like it tripped early in Gavin's video as well.

1685625024241.png
https://eg4electronics.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/05/EG4-18KPV-12LV-Manual-1.2.2.pdf - page 69

@Will Prowse have you done any surge testing where it meets the listed specs?

So does the manual explain pretty clearly how to install the unit in various configurations?

We want to install one after the main panel to a critical loads panel off Grid, but with AC grid support to those loads (peak load shaving or whatever) if desire.

Are configurations like this spelled out?

And I assume it's stackable? Any one stack it yet?
Yes, this is the most comprehensive manual to date with detailed configurations for multiple applications spelled out.

They are stackable.

I did not do it myself, signature solar did remotely when I was not home. I had one of the first versions of the firmware.

@SignatureSolarJames @Eddie_Lux any comments on why the inverters didn't meet the listed spec? Looks like it tripped early in Gavin's video as well.

View attachment 151323
https://eg4electronics.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/05/EG4-18KPV-12LV-Manual-1.2.2.pdf - page 69

@Will Prowse have you done any surge testing where it meets the listed specs?
I have not done surge testing, I am building new shop down the street to test larger loads. My shop is too crammed. I do run it at 100% for 6 hours at a time every day. But haven't been able to do large inductive loads.

Is there a way to use a hard wired ethernet connection instead of having to use the wifi dongle?
Doesn't look like it. All the Cat5/6 ports inside the unit look to be used for other types of comms.

Attachments

• 1685651237548.png
    1685651237548.png
    327.4 KB · Views: 7
Doesn't look like it. All the Cat5/6 ports inside the unit look to be used for other types of comms.
IIRC the serial link for the wifi modem can be used; just need an IP/Serial gateway. Not sure if EG4/SS is documenting the serial interface or not though.

I would also consider the hardwire connection. This is how spotty my connection is right now:1685712164709.png

Is anyone else having WIFI connection issues? No other devices are having this issue and the 18kpv is plenty close to the router.

Your current grid tied setup is almost identical to mine. Currently 32 400w panels, 12 with the tigo optimizers, SB 7.7
One of the best things about the 18kpv is it still retained the 600v VOC like the SB, most others dont. I would have had to reconfigured my strings a bit.

I now have all 3 strings on the 18kpv and ran all day yesterday. Have it set up to try to pull nothing off the grid. Up until 10:19 on this graph I was charging the battery before exporting but then changed it to export first and use the solar over what I am allowed to export to charge.

Not sure what the spikes were in PV around 14:00, my panels can't output that much and I think that's a bit much for cloud edge?

View attachment 150397
I stand ready to purchase everyone’s SB 7.7s.

It looks like there is going to be a blood bath with these Luxpower dealers.

Watts247 18Kpv Inverter.

No Breaker but only $100 to buy one and it's $1500 Cheaper :eek: Plus this is Ian at Watts247 who has an excellent track record for warranty and service.
Robby thanks for bringing this up.
they do the same thing for other brands, including Sol-Ark. They will lose all further support from EG4 or us once they have done it.

It looks like there is going to be a blood bath with these Luxpower dealers.

Watts247 18Kpv Inverter.

No Breaker but only $100 to buy one and it's $1500 Cheaper :eek: Plus this is Ian at Watts247 who has an excellent track record for warranty and service.
Holy cow!!!

Can't wait to see if anyone builds a similar unit in the next year and sells it for even less.

Last edited:
watts 24/7 has every one else beat on price for the same exact 18kpv. So that tells me SS has the prices jacked up. Must be why they are not charging shipping right now for them but, it still don't cost as much as the difference in the pricing.

Oh he's a cheeky little bugger isn't he that Ian LOL I love it.
To be fair he is also knocking out Solark products at a much reduced price as well.
And look at how detailed his specification charts are, he really does tell you everything you need to know.

So that tells me SS has the prices jacked up. Must be why they are not charging shipping right now for them but, it still don't cost as much as the difference in the pricing.
Of course they have them listed at maximum price for now because it is a new product. Don't worry sales will start soon enough.
Mind you looking at all three inverters the Solark has by far the best connections and breakers followed by the eg4 and the lux power looks positively primitive in that department.

diy solar

diy solar
Back