diy solar

diy solar

Grundfos SQ pumps should be stickied to the top of this catagory.

/

I have been guessing it means, for example, if I intersect the 625 foot curve, and 600 watts, the pump will output about 2.5 gal/min?

Or another example, if I input 300 watts, it can push a 490 foot column of water, above the water/air interface of the well, at 2.0 gal/min.

But trying to push 820 feet over the surface of the water, with 300 watts, intersects 0.0 gal/min. So the pump cannot push 820 feet unless it has minimum 520watts input power.

Anyway, I really just don't understand what that graph means. I do not have enough info, and there is no explanation to the graph on the Grundfos page.
1686684750313-png.152770

I think your understanding of the graph is correct. Now, as I said, since the pump is variable speed and has a soft start, it might very well be ok, but I can't say with 100% certainty.

Ok, so looking at it in more detail, I've been playing with the curves for both my SQE2-55 and the 6SQF-3:

By selecting 'input:' and setting the input power to 0.4kW and something like 3gpm, it seem you can have a head of 128 meters (90 feet). So it does seem to be so that the pump can have a fixed limited power input and function.

On page 33 of this document (page numbers are at the bottom of each page)

it says 1000W minimum for generator.

I guess that is the safe answer. So I plan to order a 1000W 120V battery generator.... maybe even 1200w to compensate for a 10% power drop over the 800ft of copper wire at 120V

240V battery generators basically do not exist for sale in the US.

I did write Grundfos another email. I'll wait a few days to see if they respond, to clarify that graph.

I think your understanding of the graph is correct. Now, as I said, since the pump is variable speed and has a soft start, it might very well be ok, but I can't say with 100% certainty.

Ok, so looking at it in more detail, I've been playing with the curves for both my SQE2-55 and the 6SQF-3:

By selecting 'input:' and setting the input power to 0.4kW and something like 3gpm, it seem you can have a head of 128 meters (90 feet). So it does seem to be so that the pump can have a fixed limited power input and function.
I did not realize that graph was interactive until you pointed it out. I have many, many ad and tracking blockers running, which blocked the interactiveness. Interesting.

This is the first summer since I developed a spring at the bottom of my 70 acres, and installed a SQ Flex running direct (the controller is NOT needed, one less thing to go wrong) of a 1300 watt array. It's pumping thru 2100' of 1" poly pipe and up, for about a 260' elevation rise, into a 2000 gallon tank. As always (I've installed a couple dozen of them for others, though some years ago, this was the first in about 6 years, it's performing perfectly and more than meeting the specs on the Grundfos charts. Don't ask what model, I don't recall, but I get about 8 GPM for much of the day. Why anyone would consider any other pump is beyond me! I like them so much, when it came time to buy a conventional well pump for my home, I bought a Grundfos.

I'll add a +1 to the Grundfos pumps. My Grundfos SQE is running off 2x MPP LV2424s @ 240v. Starting surge is non existent, my upright freezer takes more oomph to get going. Interesting to stand next to the well, and hear the pump rev up and down to match load, while watching the wattage draw on the system track pump speed.

My current 3HP pump does 18 gpm at ~325ft head. What would be a good replacement from grundfos?

My current 3HP pump does 18 gpm at ~325ft head. What would be a good replacement from grundfos?
That's a lot of water at that static level. There's several Grundfos pumps to choose from depending on your application. I'm quasi familiar with SQ and SQE but most familiar with the SQF. Below is the chart I normally start with when choosing an SQF pump for customers.

1696556676963.png

That's a lot of water at that static level. There's several Grundfos pumps to choose from depending on your application. I'm quasi familiar with SQ and SQE but most familiar with the SQF. Below is the chart I normally start with when choosing an SQF pump for customers.

View attachment 170987
Thanks for the info. The 11 SQF-2 may be sufficient. If I'm reading the datasheet correctly then it also only uses around 1.2kW at the max flow rate which sounds a lot more efficient than my current one that runs at around 4.6kW.

Thanks for the info. The 11 SQF-2 may be sufficient. If I'm reading the datasheet correctly then it also only uses around 1.2kW at the max flow rate which sounds a lot more efficient than my current one that runs at around 4.6kW.
You may do just fine with the SQ.

True, but with the controller it makes a very convenient constant pressure system with optimal pump control and a very small pressure vessel.
I think that is the SQE which is a different pump than the SQF.

Back