diy solar

diy solar

Has anybody used the Rosie inverter yet for prime time?

Surprised Will hasn't received one for review.
It seems certain manufacturers think they are too good to send things to Will for review. (That may or may not be the case here)

He should be receiving pallets of stuff every day begging for his review. It's actually insulting to all of us DIY'ers when he doesn't receive something for review. It means they don't value us.

Surprised Will hasn't received one for review.
Will does good general reviews. I want to see it tortured tested. Will it run a decent welding rid like 400bird did with his xwpro, will it start a 2-3hp deep well pump, large shop air compressors etc. The xw and radian have a good track record for starting heavy duty loads.

Midnight took their time before releasing Rosie. You can be sure it is robust and performs well before they do. Midnight was running them in-house, inviting people in to test them, and I think sending to beta testers (but I haven't heard details from beta.)

What I noted was that their demo of simultaneously starting 4x air compressors was that those were brush-type. They also power one deep-well pump in a bucket of water, but we need to know motor specs and it should be loaded with backpressure.

Ideally, they or somebody would sequence through a series of induction motors, reporting which start easily and which don't start.

"Rosie pulled 467 Amps from the batteries at 43.56 volts. That's 20,342 watts on the DC side. She held that load for 10-15 seconds before shutting down! Wow!"

The guys who designed Rosie designed the predecessors of Trace/Schneider XW and Outback Radian.
Difference is Rosie is a high-frequency inverter.
Right, I was aware of all this...but thank you bro. I'm just saying I want to see it compared in real life under real circumstances to their old school designs. As you said Rosie is HF and if it can do everything the LF can do while weighing significantly less and having better idle time that's a huge win. Another thing...I'm curious how "Field Serviceable" it is.

Midnight took their time before releasing Rosie. You can be sure it is robust and performs well before they do. Midnight was running them in-house, inviting people in to test them, and I think sending to beta testers (but I haven't heard details from beta.)

What I noted was that their demo of simultaneously starting 4x air compressors was that those were brush-type. They also power one deep-well pump in a bucket of water, but we need to know motor specs and it should be loaded with backpressure.

Ideally, they or somebody would sequence through a series of induction motors, reporting which start easily and which don't start.

"Rosie pulled 467 Amps from the batteries at 43.56 volts. That's 20,342 watts on the DC side. She held that load for 10-15 seconds before shutting down! Wow!"
Most well pumps in my area are 400-500 ft.

I looked at the manual and saw no support for stacking. Also don't understand why there is two different versions that related to neutral bonding. Why need the two different ones if the one has relay to automatically switch to begin with?

Screenshot 2023-03-22 at 10.57.12 AM.png

I looked at the manual and saw no support for stacking. Also don't understand why there is two different versions that related to neutral bonding. Why need the two different ones if the one has relay to automatically switch to begin with?

View attachment 140792
I didn't see stacking either. Hopefully this isn't the case otherwise it's a kill shot for me.

Don't know much about it, but here's somebody's beta test from 9 months ago.
Starting 5 HP induction motor compressor with 100 PSI in tank (which should just mean unloader worked, and it did get up to speed before pressure in lines.)

Some things are worth waiting for? The question was asked 4 years ago. Did it even exist physically then, or just as a concept?
(One product I worked on, an instrument, one one year to first functional test, 3 years to released product.)

I think Midnite Solar suffers from pre-announcing stuff WAY too early :) They were even "showing off" the B17 at expos years ago ?

Don't know much about it, but here's somebody's beta test from 9 months ago.
Starting 5 HP induction motor compressor with 100 PSI in tank (which should just mean unloader worked, and it did get up to speed before pressure in lines.)

Some things are worth waiting for? The question was asked 4 years ago. Did it even exist physically then, or just as a concept?
(One product I worked on, an instrument, one one year to first functional test, 3 years to released product.)

So, that B17 in the video is massive. Is each one of those modules 15k? This looks to be more commercial as oppose to us home / off grid users. I can't even imagine the price point..especially when some of us like two units encase one dies.

So, that B17 in the video is massive. Is each one of those modules 15k? This looks to be more commercial as oppose to us home / off grid users. I can't even imagine the price point..especially when some of us like two units encase one dies.
No, each one of those dials you saw is a separate inverter. So in that video looks like there is 5.

About the Rosie, Midnite Support told me last month ...

1. Will the Rosie have any kind of Grid Interaction like load shaving or similar to the Schneider Conext SW & XW's AC Support Mode? Will the Rosie have any kind of grid connection pass thru for loads?
- MN ... Yes the Rosie has grid support, LBX and HBX mode already as well as road maps for peak shaving etc

2. Is the Rosie Stackable?
- MN ... Currently it is not stackable that is the next feature and we are assuming about 4 weeks to get to that (as of Feb 2023). We will start at 2 but quickly support 4. Then in the immediate future we plan to go to 10

3. As to Stacking ... Will I need More hardware once stacking becomes available?
- MN ... We do anticipate it to be firmware only, If engineering decided it needed a hardware mod that may come with a small upgrade fee depending on the scale of mod but we see that as unlikely. So yes a new unit bought today would be stackable in the future even if we needed to update its hardware

Yikes, I would wait until they actually have it for sale with the features you want vs those stacking promises.

My Midnite Classics are 5yrs and going strong and I really like them.
However, for this inverter I see that "MNGP2 Required" is a bullet point. Looks like another $200 - https://www.continuousresources.com/products/midnite-solar-mngp2

It could be US made products will become the only ones available one of these days (sigh) but for now - having to buy external control equipment instead of having it included - so it will 'just work' when you get it is annoying for me.

One thing I'm running into with AIMS and SUNGOLDPOWER is that I cannot seem to buy any replacement control boards! I wonder if Midnite would be better at this.

It's no different than Victron and their Cerbo I suppose. Although many pieces of Victron equipment do have built in bluetooth.. though not all, particularly the inverters.

we are assuming about 4 weeks
Again, the overly optimistic estimate ;) They need to be at least a bit more vague.. like "first half of this year" at least to allow a bit of wiggling room for unexpected delays.

Back