diy solar

diy solar

Has anybody used the Rosie inverter yet for prime time?

Again, the overly optimistic estimate ;) They need to be at least a bit more vague.. like "first half of this year" at least to allow a bit of wiggling room for unexpected delays.
I still may buy one because Schneider said my SW was stackable when I bought it 5 years ago ... Until they said it wasn't. I need more power and would rather have the promise of it being added than the punishment of it being taken away.

My Midnite Classics are 5yrs and going strong and I really like them.
However, for this inverter I see that "MNGP2 Required" is a bullet point. Looks like another $200 - https://www.continuousresources.com/products/midnite-solar-mngp2

$200 for monitoring/interface is not unreasonable (for a $4000 inverter) from my perspective, having seen what SMA Sunny Boy Control, Web Box, and Data Manager cost.

Often, a PC or cell phone is what we're supposed to use, but I don't like to rely on something with shorter hardware/software lifespan than my alternative energy system.

If "Monitoring" means logging of data, seems pretty good.

$200 for monitoring/interface is not unreasonable (for a $4000 inverter) from my perspective, having seen what SMA Sunny Boy Control, Web Box, and Data Manager cost.
I understand but I go the other way. This unit is on the expensive end for the level of output (to me) and so I view it as the $200 unit should be included so I don't have to 'discover' that it's needed after I purchase one or try to figure out if I have to buy an extra one for each additional unit etc. :)

I still may buy one because Schneider said my SW was stackable when I bought it 5 years ago ... Until they said it wasn't. I need more power and would rather have the promise of it being added than the punishment of it being taken away.
Why not a XWpro? I'm honestly surprised stackable wasn't straight out of the gate considering it's a tier 1 inverter by a tier 1 company in 2023. I'm also surprised they didn't at least hit 10kw.

Why not a XWpro? I'm honestly surprised stackable wasn't straight out of the gate considering it's a tier 1 inverter by a tier 1 company in 2023. I'm also surprised they didn't at least hit 10kw.
That's an option too. But as I already have 2 classics...

I understand but I go the other way. This unit is on the expensive end for the level of output (to me) and so I view it as the $200 unit should be included so I don't have to 'discover' that it's needed after I purchase one or try to figure out if I have to buy an extra one for each additional unit etc. :)

It does raise the entry-level cost for customers buying just one component.

One user interface for a stack of inverters and charge controllers.

My Sunny Island each have 3-line display and membrane keypad. Sunny Boys have display only.
With WebBox, I can apply a change to all of one type. Data is logged and downloadable to a PC. I have eight devices connected, but some systems would have a hundred.

For one-time configuration, an RS-485 adapter on a laptop, or keypad for units with it, can get us going (for SMA, maybe not Rosie). Newer models use Bluetooth or Wifi, so smartphone can be used.

It does raise the entry-level cost for customers buying just one component.

One user interface for a stack of inverters and charge controllers.

My Sunny Island each have 3-line display and membrane keypad. Sunny Boys have display only.
With WebBox, I can apply a change to all of one type. Data is logged and downloadable to a PC. I have eight devices connected, but some systems would have a hundred.

For one-time configuration, an RS-485 adapter on a laptop, or keypad for units with it, can get us going (for SMA, maybe not Rosie). Newer models use Bluetooth or Wifi, so smartphone can be used.
Schneider should either give or at least rent the configuration tuning tool for their xw line.

I added a midnight charge controller to my system with an XW Pro. I'm glad not to spend the extra for an interface I don't and can't need.
After all, I already purchased the Schneider version...

I added a midnight charge controller to my system with an XW Pro. I'm glad not to spend the extra for an interface I don't and can't need.
After all, I already purchased the Schneider version...
I was wanting to use a MNS charge controller for the xwpro if I get that inverter but doesn't that throw everything off regrding the system cohesiveness and control from the Schneider home insight or whatever that's called. Perhaps I'm incorrect but I thought the home insight allowed full control and monitoring of the entire system...inverters and controllers. I'd assume I'd have one control and monitor for the xwpro stuff and another seperate system for the MNS charge controllers. Doesn't the inverters and controllers communicate?

I was wanting to use a MNS charge controller for the xwpro if I get that inverter but doesn't that throw everything off regrding the system cohesiveness and control from the Schneider home insight or whatever that's called.
I'm missing data in the Schneider (DC PV output)
Perhaps I'm incorrect but I thought the home insight allowed full control and monitoring of the entire system...inverters and controllers.
It does, but only Schneider equipment.
I'd assume I'd have one control and monitor for the xwpro stuff and another seperate system for the MNS charge controllers. Doesn't the inverters and controllers communicate?
Within the same brand yes. But, that isn't needed to function. They're all programmed individually and functional based on DC voltage set points, sun, and time settings.

I would have purchased the Schneider charge controller, but it doesn't include arc fault. Schneider's arc fault is a separate box that includes RSD for something like $900.
Instead I went with the Midnite Classic with integrated arc fault, a Midnite combiner, and Tigo RSD transmitter. The total came out about $700 less

I'm missing data in the Schneider (DC PV output)

It does, but only Schneider equipment.

Within the same brand yes. But, that isn't needed to function. They're all programmed individually and functional based on DC voltage set points, sun, and time settings.

I would have purchased the Schneider charge controller, but it doesn't include arc fault. Schneider's arc fault is a separate box that includes RSD for something like $900.
Instead I went with the Midnite Classic with integrated arc fault, a Midnite combiner, and Tigo RSD transmitter. The total came out about $700 less
Ok, Yes I like the MN charge controller better but was wondering if it was worth it due to loosing some of the benefits staying within the same linup.

Ok, Yes I like the MN charge controller better but was wondering if it was worth it due to loosing some of the benefits staying within the same linup.
I do my data and usage tracking outside of Schneider, so I'm not missing anything there.

There's some functionality lost due to not using a Schneider charge controller. Based around being grid tied where the inverter could invert the excess DC solar for grid sell.

I would have liked to still with Schneider for the charge controller, but I couldn't justify the extra expense.

Plus, I like that Midnite tried to source as much as possible in the US. I'm not isolationist or xenophobic, but I don't want to source everything from China. That's where Schneider builds the XW, prob everything they make.

I do my data and usage tracking outside of Schneider, so I'm not missing anything there.

There's some functionality lost due to not using a Schneider charge controller. Based around being grid tied where the inverter could invert the excess DC solar for grid sell.

I would have liked to still with Schneider for the charge controller, but I couldn't justify the extra expense.

Plus, I like that Midnite tried to source as much as possible in the US. I'm not isolationist or xenophobic, but I don't want to source everything from China. That's where Schneider builds the XW, prob everything they make.
I my opinion ...America First all the way. I believe Schneider said it was made in either india or mexico.

Maybe it was the PDP that was made in China?
I just checked the label on the XW pro, I thought for sure it was made in China. But the sticker on the inverter says India.

If you go Schneider inverter, might want to also consider Midnitte Solar switch gear rather than XW switch gear. I tended to like MN's E-Panel better than Schneiders solution for my SW .

Those E-panels are so ridiculously over priced for a sheet metal box, bus bar and some breakers. I was hoping to avoid using them and just use a wire way and some QO boxes and breakers as they are rated for AC/DC. E-panels make it easy but they are so dam expensive IMHO. I believe there's a few users here that have installed single/multiple inverters without epanels and passed inspection..perhaps they can chime in.

I wired 4x Sunny Island with rigid and flexible conduit. You'd be surprised how quickly you reach maximum conduit fill.
Mine was done weather tight.

If you use 6x6 or 8x8 boxes, may be easier to deal with all the wires.

I use QO breaker boxes, and source at a discount on eBay or home improvement stores. But it does add up.
Midnight has some convenient packages, but I also balked at the cost (especially since my inverters cost me $0.25 on the dollar)

What DC do you need? QO is good up to about 70A and 125V. Big systems should be wired at higher voltage. Look at Hawks Bay charge controller, 120A 600VDC. But I favor AC coupled.

Midnight (CBI) breakers look like the way to go for PV, or else Schneider. If any are needed at all. Multiple poles for higher voltage. Midnight (Carling) breakers for battery. Midnight (CBI) magnetic-hydraulic AC breakers are good too. I've switched to those for lower, more controlled resistance where I have multiple inverters paralleled. Also to protect my air compressor motor, after frying old one due to brownout. (Thermal-magnetic breakers let windings cook during long delay for modest overload. thermal-magnetic have faster trip.)

Back