diy solar

diy solar

Has anybody used the Rosie inverter yet for prime time?

While I agree they are hi, they are less than Schneider (I think)and , clean.

I just bought a 4 ft 8x8 wire trough. Those are not cheap. By the time you buy it breakers, din rail, bars, accessories, several variations of 300 Amp rated busbars, cutting tools and time... The ePanes don't look so bad.

Message #12:

Would start 5HP compressor into 120 psi or 135 psi, but tripped after several seconds at 135 psi.

Here's a table that says 28A @ 230V (6.4kVA) for 5 HP motor under full load

Power factor makes the load worse that straight wattage, which would be lower.

Here's one from Grangers, same 28A rating:

Asking a bit much from poor little Rosie.

Message #12:

Would start 5HP compressor into 120 psi or 135 psi, but tripped after several seconds at 135 psi.

That's what we need to see...I bet the xwpro or radian would start it. Maybe?

@SpongeboB Sinewave

Message #12:

That's a good thread so far seems like Rosie is a stella(r) beast.
This thread really has me rethinking my XW Pro plans...

That's a good thread so far seems like Rosie is a stella(r) beast.
This thread really has me rethinking my XW Pro plans...

Why are you re-thinking the XW pro? Do you think a Rosie has the horse power of an XW?

After reading the full thread at The MN forum, I'm seriously considering a Rosie. It'd mean I'd have to buy a 48v bms and another battery bank.. I have 2 230Ah 24v DIY batteries and 1 271Ah 24v battery. I'd convert and keep and add to the 230Ah, and probably sell the 271Ah batteries with bms. Then I'd have to reconfigure everything

Wait ... Is Rosie a Hi Frequency inverter?
Yes. If I remember MNS said there's no reason a HF can't surge as well as a LF inverter and Rosie / B17 was suppose to prove it. Now I want to see it myself toe to toe. I'd rather have the HF due to lower idle and it weighs much less..but the xw is known for starting 4ton ac units and deep well pumps etc and holding a high surge for a long period...like welding.

Yes. If I remember MNS said there's no reason a HF can't surge as well as a LF inverter and Rosie / B17 was suppose to prove it. Now I want to see it myself toe to toe. I'd rather have the HF due to lower idle and it weighs much less..but the xw is known for starting 4ton ac units and deep well pumps etc and holding a high surge for a long period...like welding.
Right! Agreed. I thought I asked MN if it was LF. Guess I didn't.

I'm doing a 3/4 hp shallow well pump every day dozens of times a day for the past 5 years with an SW 4024. Along with a full size fridge (but it has been an LG inverter compressor the past 3 years) and a freeze, and my 1000 watts of grow lights, and the SW never blinks an eye.

I'd be concerned the Rosie might b in over her head with that, especially if I added in a 3 ton heat pump.

I'm pretty sold on LF. Inverters

Right! Agreed. I thought I asked MN if it was LF. Guess I didn't.

I'm doing a 3/4 hp shallow well pump every day dozens of times a day for the past 5 years with an SW 4024. Along with a full size fridge (but it has been an LG inverter compressor the past 3 years) and a freeze, and my 1000 watts of grow lights, and the SW never blinks an eye.

I'd be concerned the Rosie might b in over her head with that, especially if I added in a 3 ton heat pump.

I'm pretty sold on LF. Inverters
Right, kind of hard to replace 60lbs or so of a copper / ferrite toroid like the xwpro has. Side note..wonder which one is quiter for Ham radio HF bands?

I also have an Outback Psx-240 autotransformer running in line with my 240vac out of my SW for load balancing across L1 / L2. Works perfectly.

I wonder if I could add that to the Rosie for addled inductive load starting capability?

But being HF... I'd still wonder if ... Yeah it started that AC today, and maybe tomorrow. And it did it again under locked conditions... But will it do it every day for the next 10 to 15 years? I have no doubt an XW or equivalent LF victron would.

Inductors aren't going to do it. Try some math and you'll find how ridiculously big they would have to be, to store even one cycle of AC. Easier to get capacitors to store significant energy. Ferro-resonant transformers do that, but they are massive for just a few hundred watts.

I think I've figured out the HF/LF difference. If you just have transistors pulling up primary windings to battery voltage, fault current capability from the transformer is determined by winding resistance, something like 30x operating current (into zero volts.) Whatever the transistors can do, you get. Energy is not stored in the core, it is coupled to secondary.

HF, you are limited by energy stored in the core (per cycle, so higher frequency transfers more, but with lots of heating.)

The VA and amps I came up with for 5 HP induction motor air compressor didn't exceed Rosie's ratings. Maybe she has more trouble with reactive loads, even though VA less than rated watts. Maybe battery voltage was too low under load, requiring more current. We weren't told amperage, just "5 HP compressor".

@Hedges
Not sure if you are referencing my post (I'm not smart enough to know, I usually just ask questions and follow along), but when you say Inductors... I was talking about using an auto transformer like the outback psx240 between the Rosie and the load.

@Hedges
Not sure if you are referencing my post (I'm not smart enough to know, I usually just ask questions and follow along), but when you say Inductors... I was talking about using an auto transformer like the outback psx240 between the Rosie and the load.
I believe he means transformer...a huge wad of metal as the inductor.

I believe he means transformer...a huge wad of metal as the inductor.
Thx. I'm seeing it now. A little.

I guess what I'd want to know (and I guess more or less why you started this thread), does anyone believe a Rosie will do what an XW will do, time and time again, for 10 or 15 years trouble free? I guess some people believe these newer Sol-Arks will and if you open up that can of worms with doubt, 'them's fightin' words'. ( "how dare you compare my 'golden calf' Sol-Ark with your pagan XW!" )

But seriously, can a HF really be as Reliable as a LF long term for grid replacement whole house loads ?

Why are you re-thinking the XW pro?
Mainly because I like to change my mind a lot before making a purchase and the Rosie is claimed to be made in USA (I get every component likely isn't from here)
Do you think a Rosie has the horse power of an XW?
Yes, but not for the same duration.
It's not really a fair or easy comparison being HF v LF, ? ? vs ??

After reading the full thread at The MN forum, I'm seriously considering a Rosie. It'd mean I'd have to buy a 48v bms and another battery bank.. I have 2 230Ah 24v DIY batteries and 1 271Ah 24v battery. I'd convert and keep and add to the 230Ah, and probably sell the 271Ah batteries with bms. Then I'd have to reconfigure everything
I started with 1 230ah 24v, now have 2 230ah48v. I'd need to take my TP6048 off the wall and do some minor rewiring to give Rosie more loads...
In the end I'll likely end up with schneider ?

Back