1611964983246.png
Cut off 2 threads
1611965015111.png
Finished with ugly countersink. :( I'll do better next time
1611965047325.png
Finished product and tang
1611965075475.png

Last edited:
They also make a thing called a tap follower.

31n5fBq-ltL._AC_.jpg

You chuck it in the drill press, and then the spring loaded point is put into the divit on the back of the tap. This keeps it lined up straight with the hole you just drilled. Run the tap with the tap handle.

This was supposed to be here-

I just went and did the other one

Hole drilled. Ground off drill. Doesn't need to cut in the center. Good thing
View attachment 35088
Flat bottom hole
View attachment 35089
Rotate by hand in drill press to start tap exactly perpendicular
View attachment 35090
Removed from drill press to finish by hand
View attachment 35092
Cut off 2 threads
View attachment 35093
Finished with ugly countersink. :( I'll do better next time
View attachment 35094
Finished product and tang
View attachment 35095
Please write this up as a resource and put it in the resource section!!!!!

Ok, then try to go slower on the drill RPM, it should cure the bouncing problem ;)
It was the lowest setting. I'll use a knife if I ever need to do one again. Or just turn the countersink by hand
This aluminum is so soft you could countersink it with your fingernail
Yep, the smaller the chamfer the more material you keep (which usually isn't a big problem but here we don't play with much material...).
It'll handle 70 inch pounds the way it is. The rest of my holes aren't likely to. Even the virgin ones
That must mean something to people smarter than me.

What is NB? I did chamfer before I taped. It bounced around.
A helicoil doesn't need much of a chamfer. I could have done better with a knife.

Basic cone-shaped countersinks will do that. I usually a larger bit, and if it hit hard enough it centers and drills. But you have little meat to work with.

Here's something the would be cleaner (has a cylindrical nose to center it)

Another kind. As part of the drilling process, not good for this particular short hole application:

Nice job ArthurEld , It is great to see someone do the work and include pictures. So many people on the forum only have idea or opinions but never try something constructive. Good luck with your battery project.

What is NB? I did chamfer before I taped. It bounced around.
A helicoil doesn't need much of a chamfer. I could have done better with a knife.
Functionally it doesn't make much difference. It is the best hole of my 132.
Thanks for all the gret info @ArthurEld !! please be sure to put all the tips and tricks into the resource write-up! It is going to be a life-saver for a lot of us!!

I wonder if an aluminum stud with flat base could be friction welded with a milling machine? I guess it depends on how much force the terminal can take, as most machines can't get to crazy high RPM.

Thanks for all the gret info @ArthurEld !! please be sure to put all the tips and tricks into the resource write-up! It is going to be a life-saver for a lot of us!!
I'll put it together in a Word file tomorrow and save it as a PDF. It will have all the details and pictures.
And I can update it if something isn't clear.
Eventually, I'll probably have to do another one and I can get a few more pictures.

I wonder if an aluminum stud with flat base could be friction welded with a milling machine? I guess it depends on how much force the terminal can take, as most machines can't get to crazy high RPM.

I like you thinking... unfortunately I don't think the terminals will handle that...

Back