diy solar

diy solar

Heltec (JK) 200A Smart BMS with 2A Active Balance

I'm not sure if i gave you wrong info... the version is in the bms itself, when i look into "About"
was that what you was asking ? or App Version ?

Also, I did get connected to all 3 BMS's and i did get all passwords set as i want them, and i can tell when i am connected to them, because the led will turn on solid.. It blinks when you're not connected to it.

I think something is strange with #2 BMS, it shows a -2.A in Balance current.. I have double checked several times, all connections are correct.
all settings are correct, the ohms of the cables are good with all the other balance leads. I have disconnected it and reconnected 2x,
I can't figure out.. The other BMS's show either low or 0A...but not a -Neg current draw..
any ideas ? is it defect ?

sorry,, trying to post with tablet,,, it's being aggravating.. i think the delta is set to 0.003,, the same as the other units.. trying to attach the right screenshot

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210914-183754.jpg
    Screenshot_20210914-183754.jpg
    205 KB · Views: 22
sorry, on the delta you asked. i gave what i had the balance trigger set to.. that is.. 0.003v

Yeah, figured that when I saw the screenshot. All good.

Also, don't forget to calibrate the voltage in the app (if not done already).
I saw this, but i'm not sure on setting that exactly ? Do i just measure the battery with meter and enter that ?

I have learned a lot today... especially when trying to fire up the units.. the 1st one was easy. but the 2nd and 3rd one didn't want to start, and i thought they were dead, but i found out that the 1st one. the discharge and charge should be shut off 1st.
it was after i did this, that i was able to start the 2nd one... make sure the same was done to it, so i could start the 3rd one..
I got the hang of it now..
And i also discovered that there are 2 passwords to set.
the pairing password, and the settings password. I also wish they would remember the passwords..

Do i just measure the battery with meter and enter that ?
yep.

the 1st one was easy. but the 2nd and 3rd one didn't want to start, and i thought they were dead, but i found out that the 1st one. the discharge and charge should be shut off 1st.

Yes, or just disconnect the parallel packs (disconnect switch), turn them on, then put them in parallel (making sure the delta between them is not too large).

yep.

Yes, or just disconnect the parallel packs (disconnect switch), turn them on, then put them in parallel (making sure the delta between them is not too large).
ok,, kinda thought that..

I tried to turn balance on again for that 1 unit.. it starts off +2a balancing, then jumps around and goes to -2a again.. I think this unit is screwy.
Maybe someone else can give an answer that might help me.

That is how the balance works. It tracks the cell voltages. It decides which cell is the highest and pulls 2 amps from it to store in the super capacitor bank. Then it switches and discharges the super capacitor to push 2 amps into the lowest cell. It will bounce around from cell to cell to pull them all to the average cell voltage, but it only works on one cell at a time. Mine has been working great for a year now. I only had one issue, and it turned out to be a bad balance wire. The crimp was not done well. When the connection failed it showed 2 adjacent cells at zero volts and shut down the system. Once I fixed the balance lead, it was all back to normal.

That is how the balance works. It tracks the cell voltages. It decides which cell is the highest and pulls 2 amps from it to store in the super capacitor bank. Then it switches and discharges the super capacitor to push 2 amps into the lowest cell. It will bounce around from cell to cell to pull them all to the average cell voltage, but it only works on one cell at a time. Mine has been working great for a year now. I only had one issue, and it turned out to be a bad balance wire. The crimp was not done well. When the connection failed it showed 2 adjacent cells at zero volts and shut down the system. Once I fixed the balance lead, it was all back to normal.
ok, good to know.. i was a little worried that maybe something wasn't right, the BMS, was getting slightly warm, made me a little nervous,

Has anyone here successfully changed the BMS name that comes up in the app when you connect to the BMS? I have not tried it yet myself, but I was asked about this from another user. If you have changed it, can you list what you had to do to make it happen.

Has anyone here successfully changed the BMS name that comes up in the app when you connect to the BMS? I have not tried it yet myself, but I was asked about this from another user. If you have changed it, can you list what you had to do to make it happen.

Yes, without problems. I don't know if I remember by heart, but it's in the menu, there should be a pen icon (once connected), enter the name, done.
I think this came up in this thread earlier on - I linked the version of the app I'm using.

Edit: this one in the device list. Menu is on the top left of the app:
screenshot.png

Screenshot.png

Last edited:
was probably me, and i have no solution yet. JKBMS email is not working right now either..

Yes, without problems. I don't know if I remember by heart, but it's in the menu, there should be a pen icon (once connected), enter the name, done.
I think this came up in this thread earlier on - I linked the version of the app I'm using.

Edit: this one in the device list. Menu is on the top left of the app:
View attachment 64784

View attachment 64786
i have done this also,, you can change the name,, but the OK button does not accept...it is as if the OK button has no function.

Back