diy solar

diy solar

House burned down

Again maybe OP meant over all battery with decimal point in wrong place and not individual cell volts which should be charge max of ~3.65 per cell. Not sure …. Everybody makes mistakes. OP stated “charged cells to 5.53v highest to 5.55v”. Sure hope he meant whole battery decimal point wrong place but… again we can all make mistakes. He had a battery leak out later.

As I get older make a lot of mistakes more then ever have in past. I sometimes think am turning - lack of better word forgetting - retarded. Loosing a screw driver when it is laying right in front of me is magic time. 😁 Now did I tighten that ….let me recheck it again. Why we used painted slip marks on some fasteners in aviation.
What I do know for this minute:
Nothing is safe. What we don’t need are ppl intentionally lying or covering up. CHINESE ADVERTISING LYING. We live with danger on daily basis. We need well Informed information for our personal decisions.

IMG_6453.jpeg

When you over charge batteries they swell …watch video demo for cell pack. If you compress them than they can’t expand. Expanding was probably a safety measure. Battery cell Vents are safety measure. Batteries that are noticeably expanded should therefore be viewed as DAMAGED….. JMHO.

Cell Pouch battery over charged. Hmmmmm …..

Do you charge your individual cells to 5.55v when top balancing? Specs say 3.65v MAX. Was it a typo?

Since you are not suppose to mix old cells with new cells how did OP fix resolve that leaking cell? Just toss new cell in with older cells?

The fuses suggested and used were as OP stated Victron approved. Should he LAwyer up SUE Victron and put them out of business for his loss? He ought to be able get a big law suit. What if his home owner insurance pays him and sues Victron to recover loss?

Again maybe OP meant over all battery with decimal point in wrong place and not individual cell volts which should be charge max of ~3.65 per cell. Not sure …. Everybody makes mistakes. OP stated “charged cells to 5.53v highest to 5.55v”. Sure hope he meant whole battery decimal point wrong place but… again we can all make mistakes. He had a battery leak out later.

As I get older make a lot of mistakes more then ever have in past. I sometimes think am turning - lack of better word forgetting - retarded. Loosing a screw driver when it is laying right in front of me is magic time. 😁 Now did I tighten that ….let me recheck it again. Why we used painted slip marks on some fasteners in aviation.
What I do know for this minute:
Nothing is safe. What we don’t need are ppl intentionally lying or covering up. CHINESE ADVERTISING LYING. We live with danger on daily basis. We need well Informed information for our personal decisions.

View attachment 216991

When you over charge batteries they swell …watch video demo for cell pack. If you compress them than they can’t expand. Expanding was probably a safety measure. Battery cell Vents are safety measure. Batteries that are noticeably expanded should therefore be viewed as DAMAGED….. JMHO.

Cell Pouch battery over charged. Hmmmmm …..

Do you charge your individual cells to 5.55v when top balancing? Specs say 3.65v MAX. Was it a typo?

Since you are not suppose to mix old cells with new cells how did OP fix resolve that leaking cell? Just toss new cell in with older cells?

The fuses suggested and used were as OP stated Victron approved. Should he LAwyer up SUE Victron and put them out of business for his loss? He ought to be able get a big law suit. What if his home owner insurance pays him and sues Victron to recover loss?

Very busy at the time. Yes, this post was a typo, i meant individual cells charged to 3.55

with lifepo4 you must use a class T fuse!!!these batts can output thousands of amps,class T is enclosed when tripped sand flows inside to extinguish an arc fault,was recomended for my xantrex freedom 4000

Seems like we have rehashed the cause over and over for a late comer to come in and scream about the cause without reading the thread at all before commenting.

Reactions: D71
I’ve got GAS.
Copper yellow tubing into black iron pipe which was fresh from China.
Mine.
View attachment 215368

BY CODE…420lb /120 gallon propane but anything larger goes 10feet away from home. Some HOA have additional higher requirements only propane allowed has to be buried tanks 10ft from home.

My garage right now. Shhhssss… sometimes these tanks leak. I never leave the valve open unless using. But. ….

View attachment 215371

View attachment 215384

Never ever tripped ….carbon monoxide alarm. Never ever. Somebody say can’t do that then they park … Charging EV or ICE half tank fuel or less…… in attached garage. Hush.

Now why did OP system go up in smoke? Was it in the garage? Some put their Solar inverter generators in home and park them…wire to pv and even tie into their home electrical system. Playing with fire. My small in home lifepo inverter generator setup…. Is Sitting next to my laptop with a battery that is not LiFePo in my closet. Hmmm….. had laptop for long time. No fires.

I was looking at a new lifepo power inverter generator setup the other day so went back to get screen shot to share. If they can’t get the advertising correct should they be trusted? Notice….ad.
View attachment 215383

Govt Test - start - intentional fires - explosions…for battery science and safety. These things in past were tested before being sold to public….UL Not anymore…..make it sell it let public test it until there is a problem. Then govt comes in.

More fun

Ppl are living dangerous. We do it all the time. The Samsung cell phones use to go up in flames too. 👀😳 the old disposable butane cigarette lighters were stated never to be around welding or cutting because spark would burn through - melt lighter housing and lighter explode. Some Ppl used them to light torch. I’ve used a butane soldering iron for years.. 😳🙄👀
Stored energy - Dangerous

Notice Amazon Advertising. Caveat Emptor - Buyer Beware REASONABLE as Ignorance is no excuse….question becomes what is “reasonable” for burden. Also why you see sneaky disclaimers….example real estate agents often put up seller has to verify all stated is truth…ie: size home, property lines, school districts, so on.

“‘’’’’’
Cornell Law School Website.

caveat emptor​

Primary​

Caveat emptor is a common law doctrine that places the burden on buyers to reasonably examine property before making a purchase. A buyer who fails to meet this burden is unable to recover for defects in the product that would have been discovered had this burden been met. The phrase “caveat emptor” is Latin for “let the buyer beware.”
Caveat emptor principles are generally still followed today; however, they are subject to exceptions. Under the doctrine of concealment, for example, a seller who withholds material information when they have a duty to disclose is not protected by caveat emptor.
See, e.g. SEC v. Zandford, 535 U.S. 813 (2002).
See: Commercial law, Real property, Personal property
[Last updated in July of 2022 by the Wex Definitions Team]
“‘’’’

Ppl used to get sued for false advertising - govt had an agency just for that purpose Consumer Protection Agency.

View attachment 215386
You are triggering my ocd, strap that propane tank please.

Looks like the current mega pack 2 uses 156Ah LFP prismatic cells from CATL:

Some good slides there showing the details, they switched from cylindrical in the original megapacks, and they mention better fire safety performance.

View attachment 216993
But what was used at Moss Landing when it was built? There are Megapacks that are LFP, however, those are Megapack 2 and your copied chart says Megapack 2, right at the top.

I have not seen anything Moss Landing used Megapack 2 before the "problems" so my assumption will be it was Megapack NMC.

Lumping current Megapack 2 with the original Megapack is not correct. It falls under the "all lithium batteries are bad".

But what was used at Moss Landing when it was built? There are Megapacks that are LFP, however, those are Megapack 2 and your copied chart says Megapack 2, right at the top.

I have not seen anything Moss Landing used Megapack 2 before the "problems" so my assumption will be it was Megapack NMC.

Lumping current Megapack 2 with the original Megapack is not correct. It falls under the "all lithium batteries are bad".
Yes for sure the original megapacks are using nmc cells.

Reactions: Zwy
Ultimately even the NMC Megapacks have proven to be very safe in terms of actual serious failures versus numbers in the field.

If you don't want a fire make a cinderblock/concrete building a few meters from your house and put all of your electrical stuff in that.
I did that, all my electrical ia out there and I shoved my lights, TV, computer, furnace, AC, everything in it. Now it is lit up and cold, my house is dark and hot and humid :cautious:

These finally showed up today fun to play with for a cheap price. There are signs they are used verse just new and unused. Just a scratch or other. Nothing wrong with that. They were advertiesed as pulls from car battery packs.

With the contacts closed one measures 0.6mΩ and the other is 0.2mΩ

More are on the way for future projects I haven't thought up yet.
I stumbled on this contactor while researching class t fuses and fuse holders. https://www.digikey.com/en/products...mmercial-vehicle-products/dcnev250-g/14671721 rated for 250 amps at 900v dc with a 48v coil. They have 24v coils as well thinking about using one tied into a smoke detector for auto shutdown.

It appears, but doesn't state explicitly, that the coil economizer is built-in. You want that feature.
"Hold current (average) = 0.03A@48Vdc", which is 1.44W
(compare to 1.3A@48Vdc = 62W, more at higher battery voltage.)

Sorry to hear this terrible news,
I hope that your family is save and has recovered a bit from that shock.

I have seen that you showed a black mega fuse I guess from Victron.

Has that cause the issue or was it just meant as an example for what a melt fuse is ?
You had shown this picture on page one when someone had asked what a melt fuse is.
View attachment 216981
In my research of fuses these fuses have an AIC rating of 2700 amps. Where a class t fuse such as a jlln250 can interrupt 20,000 amps dc, and a telecom fuse like the L17T series can interrupt 100,000 amps

It appears, but doesn't state explicitly, that the coil economizer is built-in. You want that feature.
"Hold current (average) = 0.03A@48Vdc", which is 1.44W
(compare to 1.3A@48Vdc = 62W, more at higher battery voltage.)
I have 24 of them sitting in a box here.

These draw less watts at lower voltages. Coil is 24V, not 48V. This requires a converter. I think the coil will still work at 12V.

I bought these for a different purpose but decided to not implement that idea. These do draw power all the time when ON.

Back