diy solar

diy solar

How many C's can forklift battery take

Running on butane now?
Could set the propane tank in a pail of warm water, similar to when I recharge an A/C system.
Or duct engine cooling air over it.
100 lb propane tank, genset is one of those run of the mill ones not meant for industrial work so no engine cooling on it, though I got one but requires no less than 11" WC so need larger propane tank for it which needs filled and even if filled nowhere to put it yet. Ah the giant circle of I need this for this.
I'm sure if I managed a pale of warm water it would be solid ice block in a few hours. Washed my hydrometer off and before I could dry it off with my shirt the water froze to it is how cold it is here.
I grabbed another tank I had for reserve and still struggling so going to need gasoline or more BTU from bigger tank.

Kinda in afterthought mode...

Since you've checked SG, you've confirmed that all cells have sufficient electrolyte to cover all the plates?

While it's highly unlikely given the ambient temps, when recovering batteries that are deeply discharged, a lot of the power going into them in this inefficient state takes the form of heat. It's worth checking the temps of your cells by hand to ensure they're not getting warm.

Kinda in afterthought mode...

Since you've checked SG, you've confirmed that all cells have sufficient electrolyte to cover all the plates?

While it's highly unlikely given the ambient temps, when recovering batteries that are deeply discharged, a lot of the power going into them in this inefficient state takes the form of heat. It's worth checking the temps of your cells by hand to ensure they're not getting warm.
Being it's a forklift battery means it's in a metal case 1/4 inch thick that with these temperatures out here you aren't going to feel anything. Has a watering system on it so don't have to worry about losing too much water unlike regular battery caps (got some water miser caps on the way), but yes I have checked and it's covering the plates. On third propane tank now, about 50% full battery according to battery monitor.

Has a watering system on it so don't have to worry about losing too much water unlike regular battery caps (got some water miser caps on the way), but yes I have checked and it's covering the plates.

Catalytic recombination would mean not worrying about losing too much water.
Watering system I'd expect to be frozen solid. That's going to contain distilled water, not antifreeze.

Good your plates are covered!

@Weldman

I do have a bit of expereince with forklift batteries, though mostly 36 volt on Caterpillar (Hitachi) forklifts. The charger is rated 375 amps continuous. I have recovered a few from pretty far gone. I needed 100 amps minimum force them into equilization and that was a very long procedure.

Somewhere In the piles I do have access to a 24 volt charger that was purchased to recover the forklift, Its for a Caterpillar 24 volt fork lift, 375 amps continous.....but its 3 phase...208 volt .240 volt or 480 volt jumper selectable, there are three individual charger blocks in there , I assume that each block is 125 amps...Any intrest in that? It would kill you in shipping. Its located in Santa Cruz County, California good 500 lbs. or more. I do have forklifts to install it into your pickup....Size 24” high 18” deep 36” long approximately. I do have a commercial address for shipping
It would be sold as is 30/30 warranty.....30 seconds, 30 feet, in reality it is of no use to the company. And we don't want a lot for it

I ended up getting a power supply for carbon arc searchlights that could do 1 or 2 cells, maybe 6 volts max at 225 amps, did recover two Caterpillar 6000 lb. capacity forklifts that were bought surplus for pennies on the dollar, There was a few cells that took over a month to recover

Learned trick...get a large all plastic turkey baster to stir up the electrolyte, it separates with lower s.g. on top and the higher s.g. on the bottom, there will be sulfated flakes in the bottom of the cells that you do not want to stir up so gentle stirring.

I did work at Alaska Husky Battery in Fairbanks, Alaska to help pay my way through engineering college so I have just a bit of expereince.

My solar batteries are Rolls Surette S-530 L-16’s now over 19 years old and still going strong, 2nd bank Interstate L-16 traction batteries now 20+ years old and still in full time service.

Catalytic recombination would mean not worrying about losing too much water.
Watering system I'd expect to be frozen solid. That's going to contain distilled water, not antifreeze.

Good your plates are covered!
Yes they are frozen as I figured out and I couldn't fill up through that small rinky dink water line they have installed if it wasn't frozen unless I put their special refill thingy on it. I got water miser caps on the way and I do have a blinky basic LED light on it that warns me when that one cell is low I should check the other cells when it turns off.
60% charged and 60A going in, it's coming alive! Still de-sulfating.

Given the cold temps, the 31V desulfate is pushing is about right for a REGULAR charge. You may need to wait for warmer weather to truly desulfate.
I was thinking same thing given the lack of current going in too to warm them up to be tickled. Like trying to debark a tree in winter time, better do that in spring summer.

I would have thought, if the batteries were insulated and charged continuously for a day+, they would warm up.

TrukinBear had insulated his forklift battery, and while charging in winter the inverter/charger shut down for battery over temperature.

I would have thought, if the batteries were insulated and charged continuously for a day+, they would warm up.

TrukinBear had insulated his forklift battery, and while charging in winter the inverter/charger shut down for battery over temperature.
Guess I need to get a sheet of EPS and wrap it with blankets on top then hit it some more.

I don't think it was -20°F at the time.

Guess I need to get a sheet of EPS and wrap it with blankets on top then hit it some more.

Good time to make sure all the cells are actually topped off with distilled water at this point.

Does your AIMS have a temp sensor? Is it installed?

Back