diy solar

diy solar

How to Add the Victron ESS Assistant

SteveBrown

I'm trying to add the ESS Assistant in the Victron configuration tool. It requires a Grid-Code which is not available for North America. I don't have a grid tied system. So how can I take advantage of the features of ESS Assistant if I can't install it? I have heard of some who use the Europe grid-code, but then you must select 1 of 2 options. (1) LOM B Compliant or (2) No LOM detection-Not compliant (requires a password). I am very nervous about options that I cannot back out of if I change my mind or make the wrong choice. Also, if you want to remove the grid-code, you cannot do so without a password. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I'm trying to add the ESS Assistant in the Victron configuration tool. It requires a Grid-Code which is not available for North America. I don't have a grid tied system. So how can I take advantage of the features of ESS Assistant if I can't install it? I have heard of some who use the Europe grid-code, but then you must select 1 of 2 options. (1) LOM B Compliant or (2) No LOM detection-Not compliant (requires a password). I am very nervous about options that I cannot back out of if I change my mind or make the wrong choice. Also, if you want to remove the grid-code, you cannot do so without a password. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
I’m not too familiar with ESS... what advantages would it bring you may I ask...there is a Victron video... but it’s nearly 50min long.

I want the features listed in the ESS Manual in the introduction
Assuming you have an Off-Grid System (which is what a non Grid Tied system is), further in the introduction it states:

When not to use ESS
• Off-grid systems - either with or without generator.
• Marine systems.
• Automotive systems.
• Inverter priority, also known as 'Intentional islanding“ or 'Ignore AC' input systems

Do you really have an Off-Grid System?

No, I am sure I don't understand the term "Not grid-tied". I am grid-tied. I'm not planning to push excess PV power back into the grid. I don't know how to do that. I am very sorry for that statement. I am still very new to solar and just trying to make my system work without blowing it up.

What I'm trying to accomplish with ESS is for my system to power my AC loads with minimum power coming from the grid. I want my solar to have priority over the grid to power my AC loads and charge the battery.

Last edited:
That’s how use my system, but I’m not using ESS. I’m using the Cerbo and the generator start/stop feature to control when ac input is ignored.

That’s how use my system, but I’m not using ESS. I’m using the Cerbo and the generator start/stop feature to control when ac input is ignored.
I watched and enjoyed your YouTube on this subject a few days ago and I'll probably end up running the wire to do just that. After reading the ESS manual it just seems like there is a better way using ESS. I have been struggling with this for several weeks. The research is wearing me down. I currently check the weather when I get up in the morning and if it's a sunny day I manually switch my MultiPlus II to Inverter only. Your generator start/stop method sure beats my method. Thanks for your help and the great YouTubes. I also found this forum because of your YouTubes.

Glad to help!

The reason I’m not using ESS right now is because I’m concerned about power flowing back to the grid. There’s always potential for it. It is on my list to play around with it at some point though. Like you said, there’s a lot of reading regarding it though.

Maybe check this thread out.. it mentions a very useful changeover unit... worth a look..

Steve did you check out the unit..?

It basically creates two breaker boards... the larger unit accepts up to 10 house circuits... so basically you hook up the unit to your existing house breaker board and it allows you to either use the grid..or solar/inverter... to power individual circuits... and feedback to the grid is not possible.. above each circuit breaker is a rocket switch..with 3 options... grid / solar / or off.
Here’s a video

It’s worth reading the comments below the video.... some technical stuff unfortunately to do with inverters.. hope it helps

It basically creates two breaker boards... the larger unit accepts up to 10 house circuits... so basically you hook up the unit to your existing house breaker board and it allows you to either use the grid..or solar/inverter... to power individual circuits... and feedback to the grid is not possible.. above each circuit breaker is a rocket switch..with 3 options... grid / solar / or off.
Here’s a video

It’s worth reading the comments below the video.... some technical stuff unfortunately to do with inverters.. hope it helps
Ok... let me try again

Yes, if you are referring to the ecoflow smart home panel. I don't think that will solve my dilemma. It's also pricey.
It was more that he was looking for a similar solution ...just happened that the smart home panel was quoted in the post as something that he would like to emulate... yes it was pricey... I give up..

Have you tried Victron community blog...

There’s this

Wondering if you could help Steve out...
@sunshine_eggo

Back