diy solar

diy solar

How to get warranty help for an SOK 48V100 battery?

I am very confused. The CTO of Current Connected came personally into this thread and said to DM him as they are the master vendor who ultimately has to handle warranty claims. It sounded like he was going to intervene and get this fixed for you. Did you take him up on that?

I mean, it's cool you went and just dumped over $4000 buying products from him, but you want to toss the unit he was offering to help you get fixed?

This is just a very bizarre response lol
I have a Victron Multiplus II 48 volt, Victron Cerbo GX, Victron Cerbo GX display, and two SOK 48V100 batteries.

The only things in that list that work properly are the Cerbo GX display and one 48V100 battery. The inverter, one 48V100 battery, and the Cerbo GX are all broken in one way or another. The inverter keeps randomly shutting down with a fault, but I can never find a fault code. I turn off the inverter, turn it back on, and it works again for some random amount of time. The Cerbo GX just goes into a reboot loop when the inverter is connected. If I disconnect the inverter I still see it rebooting randomly. The 48V100 battery seems to have a bad BMS, but who knows.

I figure if I buy everything from one vendor who actually provides support that I can get help if the new stuff still has the same issues. I previously bought all my stuff from a different vendor who doesn't seem to be interested in helping to make it work properly.

The stupid thing I noticed on reading the SOK warranty again is they make the customer pay for shipping both ways. You would be out about $800 to ship a single 48V100 to and from SOK's facility in California since they ship freight.

The stupid thing I noticed on reading the SOK warranty again is they make the customer pay for shipping both ways. You would be out about $800 to ship a single 48V100 to and from SOK's facility in California since they ship freight.
The 48v warranty is different since it's not handled by SOK, it's handled by me and my company.

If the battery can be troubleshooted and fixed in the field, then we ship you the parts without charge and guide you through the field repair.

If you opt out of the field troubleshooting or field repair, only then do you pay the shipping to us. We pay the return shipping to you.

If the battery is severely damaged beyond a reasonable field repair, then we cover the shipping both ways and the replacement equipment.

One of my SOK 48V100 batteries is dead after about 15 months of ownership. I suspect the BMS is bad. I contacted SOK directly via email a good month ago and they asked who I bought it from and the order number. There were a couple of emails back and forth, and then nothing. I tried to follow up a week ago, but no response.

It appears the warranty is just plain worthless on SOK batteries. I have two SOK 48V100 batteries in parallel. I now have to decide if I buy another SOK 48V100 to replace the dead battery, or buy two of another brand and write off the $4,000 for the two SOK batteries. I definitely don't want EG4 batteries with all the issues people in this forum have had with them. If I buy another SOK battery it will definitely be through Current Connected.

I would be happy to spend my own money on a replacement BMS, but that doesn't seem to be an option.

This is an industry wide problem, I have a battleborn 100 with no lid and working with an overkill solar bms as battle born refused to warranty a faulty bms.

Before that I had surret rolls refuse warranty on very expensive agm batteries that I had to get a lawyer involved with.

Basically warranty on batteries is a myth IMHO.

This is an industry wide problem, I have a battleborn 100 with no lid and working with an overkill solar bms as battle born refused to warranty a faulty bms.

Before that I had surret rolls refuse warranty on very expensive agm batteries that I had to get a lawyer involved with.

Basically warranty on batteries is a myth IMHO.
perhaps you are painting a whole industry with a very broad brush..there are always two sides to every story and sometimes three.. we’re only hearing one… what’s their side.?
It would mean more to us consumers if you also told us why they refused to warranty their product…that’s only fair ya know…im sure they think they had a reason..
they are both exceptional worldwide companys ..I was installing Rolls batts in big boats back in the 80s…never even heard of a unresolved problem….Rolls has produced some of the finest battery’s in the world for almost 90 years....why would either company just arbitrarily try to hoo-doo some one for no reason.

J.

I have decided I am just going to take the broken 48V100 battery to the electronics recycler. My new 48V100 battery has already shipped from Current Connected. It appears I will just have to budget for a new 48 volt battery every year since the first one didn't even make it a year. It will suck spending $2,000 every year on a new battery, but I don't know what other choice I really have.

Last edited:
From everything I have read I suspect service from Current connected will be much better.

Um I think you're taking it way too far. If you're thinking you're going to replace batteries every year, just get lead...

No, you don't have to replace every year. CC is going to help you with that 10 year warranty if needed.

And I STILL do not understand why you're getting rid of other working equipment just because the vendor you got them from was crap. Doesn't mean the equipment is going to break just because the vendor was no good...

And I STILL do not understand why you're getting rid of other working equipment just because the vendor you got them from was crap. Doesn't mean the equipment is going to break just because the vendor was no good...
Yes, I have Victron equipment now. I have a Cerbo GX, Multiplus II 48/3000, and a Cerbo display. The only Victron item of the three that works is the Cerbo display. The only way to get any Victron warranty is to go through the selling dealer.

My new Multiplus II 48/3000, Cerbo GX, Cerbo display and SOK 48V100 battery already shipped from Current Connected yesterday. I wish now that I would have just ordered a second 48V100 battery to replace my second one so everything would be Current Connected so one vendor for any warranty or support.

Here is the deal:

I make one big motorhome trip per year with up to seven of my friends. I have the inverter and batteries just for this trip. My problem is this stuff keeps breaking during my trip. I need support in a reasonable timeframe, not ten days later when I am already home from the trip. It is an issue not to have power for the fridge and such when the inverter decides to crap out.

I got sick of replacing AGM batteries every three to five years so last year I switched to 48 volt LifePO4 batteries. The AGM batteries were in a place that was a huge pain in the rear to replace the batteries. I hoped LifePO4 batteries would last close to a decade.

So, the title should really be edited to reflect dealing with Inverters-R-US's warranty efforts, wrt OP's initial post, vs blaming SOK?

I haven't had problems with my SOK batteries (12v100ah units for many small solar projects), and still admire them for their repairability. If and when I move to 48v system, I fully intend to purchase SOK batteries. Given all the (good) forum activity I've seen about and from CurrentConnected, I can't think of a better site/vendor to purchase from ...

I can't think of any reputable vendor who doesn't verify the purchase information for warranty purposes, and where an authorized dealer network is involved, doesn't want the warranty effort to go through that dealer. It sounds like Inverters-R-US is the bad guy here ... and why are we buying from someone with a name like that in the first place?

In the case of OP having difficulty on a road trip, I can't think of a better strategy than having "spares", especially if things are "critical".

Stuff breaks (especially things on the road, where vibration is the enemy), and if one can't repair it themselves, or wait for the declining level of support that most vendors offer these days, then the only possible solution is to swap a replacement in right now and get back up and running, and offline the whole "repair/replacement" process so it doesn't impact you.

The design may need rework, and when I see CPAP, I too would lump things under "critical", and the design needs to reflect that ...

So, the title should really be edited to reflect dealing with Inverters-R-US's warranty efforts, wrt OP's initial post, vs blaming SOK?
I DIRECTLY CONTACTED SOK WHO REPLIED MULTIPLE TIMES, AND THEN THEY STOPPED RESPONDING. I SENT THEM AN EMAIL AT LEAST A WEEK AGO WITH NO ANSWER. How can I not blame SOK if they don't take care of the warranty? I gave them all of the information they asked for including the dealer I bought it from and the order number. I am reasonable certain that InvertersRus is an authorized dealer for both SOK and Victron.

Last edited:
I'm DMing @reader2580 and he clearly has a fault in the battery; cells are reading 0v and the temp sensors are showing -99C. I'm pretty sure it's a failed BMS, but I instructed him to open the lid so we can make sure it's just the BMS and not a complete meltdown. This is actually the first time I've seen a failure like this, we occasionally have a temp sensor fault where just one temp sensor shows -40C (open circuit) but never like this.

If it's just the BMS, then I will have one in the mail as soon as we finish troubleshooting it; he can replace it in-place and in an ideal situation have a working battery by the end of the week. We even have video instructions on exactly how to replace the BMS for him to follow along.

I DIRECTLY CONTACTED SOK WHO REPLIED MULTIPLE TIMES, AND THEN THEY STOPPED RESPONDING. I SENT THEM AN EMAIL AT LEAST A WEEK AGO WITH NO ANSWER. How can I not blame SOK if they don't take care of the warranty? I gave them all of the information they asked for including the dealer I bought it from and the order number. I am reasonable certain that InvertersRus is an authorized dealer for both SOK and Victron.
@HighTechLab can you clarify on this that any warranty would ultimately go through you guys at Current Connected and not directly to SOK?

I assume now this works like a car dealership model where the points of contact would be Authorized Distributor -> Current Connected (master distributor) -> SOK?

I'm not bashing the poster, I get he's frustrated about this. Just wanting to make sure myself and others have a handle on how we'd normally try to process a warranty claim for these.

In the case of OP having difficulty on a road trip, I can't think of a better strategy than having "spares", especially if things are "critical".

Stuff breaks (especially things on the road, where vibration is the enemy), and if one can't repair it themselves, or wait for the declining level of support that most vendors offer these days, then the only possible solution is to swap a replacement in right now and get back up and running, and offline the whole "repair/replacement" process so it doesn't impact you.
So, basically, the answer is to spend $10,000 to $20,000 to have a trailer full of spares so I can stop every time the inverter faults and spend an hour or swapping in another inverter? That pretty much kills a road trip when you spend as much time swapping out inverters as actually driving down the road. A complete system with inverter, Cerbo GX , and two 48 volt batteries costs about $6500 delivered. I suppose I could spend another $20,000 and get three spare systems to haul with me. I better get replacement cables too in case one goes bad.

At no point did SOK ever tell me that warranty for the 48V100 is handled through Current Connected. I emailed them with details of my issue asking for help. Their response was to ask for the name of the reseller and the order number with the reseller. SOK's second response was they would contact the reseller. I have heard nothing from them since then. I sent an email to SOK on November 2nd asking for an update and no reply.

Swapping parts is not a troubleshooting method. CC thinks this is a BMS issue. That would address the battery but this thread seems to indicate there has been other issues.
@reader2580 can you give some insight on the other issues? Maybe someone can help or learn.

ALL CAPS aside, it still sounds more like a dealer problem than a warranty problem ... that aspect will be interesting to see shake out. I, too, would be interested in knowing how the "SOK, master distributor, other sellers, customers" thing plays out ... only CC can write up some kind of statement, or web page, or whatever, to spell this out for us.

I believe I purchased my batteries directly from SOK some years back, possibly even before CC came on the scene as a master distributor. Bless CC for stepping up to the plate (from the audience stands, no less) in this case!

WRT to design, one can use sarcasm, harsh language, or any other method to ensure *things stay up and running*, with predictable results depending on method chosen. If using the "any other method" approach, I believe that, given ...

- CPAP (medical necessities) is involved, the design should include some form of spares/replacement
- road travel (RV) means vibration, so design care should be given to environment aspects of road travel

... one can come up with a plan for quick response to a failure, pending warranty efforts. Otherwise, the constraints and trade-offs take over.

Troubleshooting is both science and art, trying to get to root cause. Swapping parts (possibly a BMS in this case?) can be an acceptable method in pure troubleshooting; whether it is "reasonable" or "cost-effective" is another matter. In my own troubleshooting journeys, I've come to the conclusion that a swap is not a bad trade-off for troubleshooting time ... but, everyone approaches troubleshooting uniquely.

While I might not carry a whole trailer full of stuff if I go on the road, I might throw a BMS (a $200 lifesaver, given $3000 or more of batteries) into the box of spares. I might also include a spare rack battery in the design, if two others are in play, so I can quickly take one out of play, and plug the other in. But, hey, that's just me ...

Swapping parts is not a troubleshooting method. CC thinks this is a BMS issue. That would address the battery but this thread seems to indicate there has been other issues.
@reader2580 can you give some insight on the other issues? Maybe someone can help or learn.
The battery issue is the least of my problems. I disconnected the broken battery and we just went with one battery.

The Victron Multiplus II 48/3000 was faulting every six to eight hours. The inverter is down in the cargo area and I wasn't aware I could read the fault lights on the Cerbo GX display at the time. I ended up being able to switch the inverter off and back on from the Cerbo display. I tried looking through the logs on the Cerbo and didn't find anything, I was recommended to upgrade the firmware on the inverter so I did so from my laptop using the MK3 USB adapter. Firmware did not seem to help.

We had other issues with the inverter stopping providing power for a few seconds like it would reboot, or something. We knew when the power stopped as the microwave beeps when power is restored.

Later on in the trip the Cerbo would just go into a reboot loop causing the inverter to do strange things. I disconnected the connection to the inverter momentarily to help. I had to power cycle the Cerbo GX to get it back to sanity. This happened so many times I finally left the inverter unplugged. The Cerbo GX would still reboot several times an hour with nothing connected. I had upgraded the Cerbo GX to the latest 3.1 firmware before my trip.

diy solar

diy solar
Back