diy solar

diy solar

How to get warranty help for an SOK 48V100 battery?

I would recommend setting up extra 12V AGM lead-acid battery (no BMS to fail) just for your CPAP alone. That would provide extra redundancy in case you have issues with your 48V system on the road. This 12V battery can be charged with separate MPPT and solar panel, 48V - 12V dc-dc converter and 120Vac - 12Vdc charger.

The Victron warranty is through the selling dealer.
NO. You have been misinformed.

If the seller doesn’t provide warranty service (as they’re required to), then Victron will refer you to another Victron dealer, who WILL provide service. If in the rare case that the second dealer fails to help you, Victron will usually deal with you directly.

OP seems to be well-heeled, just writing checks and throwing away Cadillac lithium batteries because the BMS fried.

With everything kicking on and off and the repair guy saying he has never seen that kind of failure yet, going to guess the OP's install is frying stuff.

I'm going to guess the system is wired like how all stock motorhomes are wired and that the alternator charges the batteries when the engine is running. Going to guess this is overcharging the batteries and causing the BMS to trip frequently which is then damaging it and leading to the inverter power cycling etc.

Just a "quickie" guess.

Seems there is more to this than meets the eye.

Can't help wondering if charging these batteries with a gasoline generator might have been a factor? What else is going on?

Reactions: JRH

Can't help wondering if charging these batteries with a gasoline generator might have been a factor? What else is going on?

Can only guess.

Do lithiums get out of balance if they sit untouched for 9-10 months?

What gasoline generator? I have a Wrico International water cooled 12.5 KW generator with a Mecc Alte generator head. It was installed in 2021. A gentleman who has installed hundreds of these did most of the installation with some help from me.

The inverter charges the batteries. The generator does not charge the batteries. The generator has a separate battery for starting.

OP seems to be well-heeled, just writing checks and throwing away Cadillac lithium batteries because the BMS fried.

With everything kicking on and off and the repair guy saying he has never seen that kind of failure yet, going to guess the OP's install is frying stuff.

I'm going to guess the system is wired like how all stock motorhomes are wired and that the alternator charges the batteries when the engine is running. Going to guess this is overcharging the batteries and causing the BMS to trip frequently which is then damaging it and leading to the inverter power cycling etc.

Just a "quickie" guess.
No alternator connection at all. The inverter sits less than two feet from the batteries and are connected with new 1/0 cables professionally made.

NO. You have been misinformed.

If the seller doesn’t provide warranty service (as they’re required to), then Victron will refer you to another Victron dealer, who WILL provide service. If in the rare case that the second dealer fails to help you, Victron will usually deal with you directly.
Direct from the Victron Energy website: "For technical support, warranty claims and repairs, check our support pages or contact the local dealer where you purchased the product."

How I am I supposed to contact Victron technical support? Try to call their number in the Netherlands? Send them snail mail to the Netherlands? I can't find any technical contact for them.

I tried to BUY, as in give them money, a replacement BMS for my 48V100 from Current Connected a few weeks ago. The gentleman on the phone said they cannot sell any parts for the batteries. I had hit a dead end on possibly getting a warranty replacement so I decided to try buying a replacement BMS. If someone said the BMS is not covered under warranty and I destroyed it then I would be fine paying for a replacement BMS.

I ended up buying a replacement battery because it seemed clear I was never going to get a fix for the battery I have.

I tried to BUY, as in give them money, a replacement BMS for my 48V100 from Current Connected a few weeks ago. The gentleman on the phone said they cannot sell any parts for the batteries. I had hit a dead end on possibly getting a warranty replacement so I decided to try buying a replacement BMS. If someone said the BMS is not covered under warranty and I destroyed it then I would be fine paying for a replacement BMS.

I ended up buying a replacement battery because it seemed clear I was never going to get a fix for the battery I have.
Selling a customer a part is different from a warranty replacement part.

Yes you can get parts. Owner of Current Connected is literally helping you right now. You are so capricious you should sell it all and replace with an Ecoflow box.
A warranty part. What happens out of warranty, or if I did something stupid to blow up the BMS and it wasn't covered under warranty?

@reader2580
I am sorry you're having these issues but I am sure that Current Connected will help. Please keep us posted as to what is found to help educate all. That's what this forum is about.

A warranty part. What happens out of warranty, or if I did something stupid to blow up the BMS and it wasn't covered under warranty?
Contact seller, explain situation and pay for replacement BMS. If no parts available then sell it to someone who can rig up 3rd party BMS. The life expectancy of these batteries is around 10 years anyway.

I have ZERO interest in building my own batteries. I don't want the hassle of trying to ordering batteries from China and hoping they are good batteries, and not some grade C junk that don't hold a charge. There are a million choices in BMS and the good ones are really expensive. You then have the question of do I compress the batteries, or not, and all that.

I prefer to just buy a decent battery that is UL listed and they have done all the research on decent components.
Will Prowse has spawned a battery-builder-DIY cult. I think they even have secret handshake, so tread carefully on these matters here….

Will Prowse has spawned a battery-builder-DIY cult. I think they even have secret handshake, so tread carefully on these matters here….
I'm a rebel...

Attachments

• IMG_20231031_203300__01.jpg
    IMG_20231031_203300__01.jpg
    988.2 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_20230307_181340.jpg
    IMG_20230307_181340.jpg
    613.8 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_20230402_172131.jpg
    IMG_20230402_172131.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 16
Back