diy solar

diy solar

How to get warranty help for an SOK 48V100 battery?

So, the title should really be edited to reflect dealing with Inverters-R-US's warranty efforts, wrt OP's initial post, vs blaming SOK?

I haven't had problems with my SOK batteries (12v100ah units for many small solar projects), and still admire them for their repairability. If and when I move to 48v system, I fully intend to purchase SOK batteries. Given all the (good) forum activity I've seen about and from CurrentConnected, I can't think of a better site/vendor to purchase from ...

I can't think of any reputable vendor who doesn't verify the purchase information for warranty purposes, and where an authorized dealer network is involved, doesn't want the warranty effort to go through that dealer. It sounds like Inverters-R-US is the bad guy here ... and why are we buying from someone with a name like that in the first place?

In the case of OP having difficulty on a road trip, I can't think of a better strategy than having "spares", especially if things are "critical".

Stuff breaks (especially things on the road, where vibration is the enemy), and if one can't repair it themselves, or wait for the declining level of support that most vendors offer these days, then the only possible solution is to swap a replacement in right now and get back up and running, and offline the whole "repair/replacement" process so it doesn't impact you.

The design may need rework, and when I see CPAP, I too would lump things under "critical", and the design needs to reflect that ...

So, the title should really be edited to reflect dealing with Inverters-R-US's warranty efforts, wrt OP's initial post, vs blaming SOK?
I DIRECTLY CONTACTED SOK WHO REPLIED MULTIPLE TIMES, AND THEN THEY STOPPED RESPONDING. I SENT THEM AN EMAIL AT LEAST A WEEK AGO WITH NO ANSWER. How can I not blame SOK if they don't take care of the warranty? I gave them all of the information they asked for including the dealer I bought it from and the order number. I am reasonable certain that InvertersRus is an authorized dealer for both SOK and Victron.

Last edited:
I'm DMing @reader2580 and he clearly has a fault in the battery; cells are reading 0v and the temp sensors are showing -99C. I'm pretty sure it's a failed BMS, but I instructed him to open the lid so we can make sure it's just the BMS and not a complete meltdown. This is actually the first time I've seen a failure like this, we occasionally have a temp sensor fault where just one temp sensor shows -40C (open circuit) but never like this.

If it's just the BMS, then I will have one in the mail as soon as we finish troubleshooting it; he can replace it in-place and in an ideal situation have a working battery by the end of the week. We even have video instructions on exactly how to replace the BMS for him to follow along.

I DIRECTLY CONTACTED SOK WHO REPLIED MULTIPLE TIMES, AND THEN THEY STOPPED RESPONDING. I SENT THEM AN EMAIL AT LEAST A WEEK AGO WITH NO ANSWER. How can I not blame SOK if they don't take care of the warranty? I gave them all of the information they asked for including the dealer I bought it from and the order number. I am reasonable certain that InvertersRus is an authorized dealer for both SOK and Victron.
@HighTechLab can you clarify on this that any warranty would ultimately go through you guys at Current Connected and not directly to SOK?

I assume now this works like a car dealership model where the points of contact would be Authorized Distributor -> Current Connected (master distributor) -> SOK?

I'm not bashing the poster, I get he's frustrated about this. Just wanting to make sure myself and others have a handle on how we'd normally try to process a warranty claim for these.

In the case of OP having difficulty on a road trip, I can't think of a better strategy than having "spares", especially if things are "critical".

Stuff breaks (especially things on the road, where vibration is the enemy), and if one can't repair it themselves, or wait for the declining level of support that most vendors offer these days, then the only possible solution is to swap a replacement in right now and get back up and running, and offline the whole "repair/replacement" process so it doesn't impact you.
So, basically, the answer is to spend $10,000 to $20,000 to have a trailer full of spares so I can stop every time the inverter faults and spend an hour or swapping in another inverter? That pretty much kills a road trip when you spend as much time swapping out inverters as actually driving down the road. A complete system with inverter, Cerbo GX , and two 48 volt batteries costs about $6500 delivered. I suppose I could spend another $20,000 and get three spare systems to haul with me. I better get replacement cables too in case one goes bad.

At no point did SOK ever tell me that warranty for the 48V100 is handled through Current Connected. I emailed them with details of my issue asking for help. Their response was to ask for the name of the reseller and the order number with the reseller. SOK's second response was they would contact the reseller. I have heard nothing from them since then. I sent an email to SOK on November 2nd asking for an update and no reply.

Swapping parts is not a troubleshooting method. CC thinks this is a BMS issue. That would address the battery but this thread seems to indicate there has been other issues.
@reader2580 can you give some insight on the other issues? Maybe someone can help or learn.

ALL CAPS aside, it still sounds more like a dealer problem than a warranty problem ... that aspect will be interesting to see shake out. I, too, would be interested in knowing how the "SOK, master distributor, other sellers, customers" thing plays out ... only CC can write up some kind of statement, or web page, or whatever, to spell this out for us.

I believe I purchased my batteries directly from SOK some years back, possibly even before CC came on the scene as a master distributor. Bless CC for stepping up to the plate (from the audience stands, no less) in this case!

WRT to design, one can use sarcasm, harsh language, or any other method to ensure *things stay up and running*, with predictable results depending on method chosen. If using the "any other method" approach, I believe that, given ...

- CPAP (medical necessities) is involved, the design should include some form of spares/replacement
- road travel (RV) means vibration, so design care should be given to environment aspects of road travel

... one can come up with a plan for quick response to a failure, pending warranty efforts. Otherwise, the constraints and trade-offs take over.

Troubleshooting is both science and art, trying to get to root cause. Swapping parts (possibly a BMS in this case?) can be an acceptable method in pure troubleshooting; whether it is "reasonable" or "cost-effective" is another matter. In my own troubleshooting journeys, I've come to the conclusion that a swap is not a bad trade-off for troubleshooting time ... but, everyone approaches troubleshooting uniquely.

While I might not carry a whole trailer full of stuff if I go on the road, I might throw a BMS (a $200 lifesaver, given $3000 or more of batteries) into the box of spares. I might also include a spare rack battery in the design, if two others are in play, so I can quickly take one out of play, and plug the other in. But, hey, that's just me ...

Swapping parts is not a troubleshooting method. CC thinks this is a BMS issue. That would address the battery but this thread seems to indicate there has been other issues.
@reader2580 can you give some insight on the other issues? Maybe someone can help or learn.
The battery issue is the least of my problems. I disconnected the broken battery and we just went with one battery.

The Victron Multiplus II 48/3000 was faulting every six to eight hours. The inverter is down in the cargo area and I wasn't aware I could read the fault lights on the Cerbo GX display at the time. I ended up being able to switch the inverter off and back on from the Cerbo display. I tried looking through the logs on the Cerbo and didn't find anything, I was recommended to upgrade the firmware on the inverter so I did so from my laptop using the MK3 USB adapter. Firmware did not seem to help.

We had other issues with the inverter stopping providing power for a few seconds like it would reboot, or something. We knew when the power stopped as the microwave beeps when power is restored.

Later on in the trip the Cerbo would just go into a reboot loop causing the inverter to do strange things. I disconnected the connection to the inverter momentarily to help. I had to power cycle the Cerbo GX to get it back to sanity. This happened so many times I finally left the inverter unplugged. The Cerbo GX would still reboot several times an hour with nothing connected. I had upgraded the Cerbo GX to the latest 3.1 firmware before my trip.

I have both 110 volt AC adapter and a car adapter for my CPAP. Each bed has a 12 volt outlet. The single SOK battery supplied a nominal 48 volts the whole time without fail. The backup plan for electricity is the 12.5KW generator. The generator is used to recharge the batteries.

I have a Victron 48 volt to 12 volt converter that hasn't given me any issues.

ALL CAPS aside, it still sounds more like a dealer problem than a warranty problem ... that aspect will be interesting to see shake out. I, too, would be interested in knowing how the "SOK, master distributor, other sellers, customers" thing plays out ... only CC can write up some kind of statement, or web page, or whatever, to spell this out for us.
At no time did SOK say to contact my dealer. They asked for the dealer name and order number, and they said they would contact the dealer. I have not heard from SOK since then. I have searched my email and checked my spam folder to make sure I didn't miss an email.

I have no issue with bringing my unopened new stuff to a Victron installer and paying them to do the installation. The closest Victron authorized installer is about five hours away. I already contacted that installer. My guess is would cost $3,000 to $5,000 to have a professional do the installation.

And I STILL do not understand why you're getting rid of other working equipment just because the vendor you got them from was crap.

My guess is it’s easier to spend money to get rid of a problem than the (small) hassle to fix it.

If money was no object, I would not be trying to fix my car…I’d simply just buy a new one. Then call a charity to donate the old car to and take the tax deduction. Base the tax deduction upon Kelly Blue Book and not have to deal with the hassle of selling especially when people want to kick tires and offer less than what’s already a fair price.

I have no issue with bringing my unopened new stuff to a Victron installer and paying them to do the installation. The closest Victron authorized installer is about five hours away. I already contacted that installer. My guess is would cost $3,000 to $5,000 to have a professional do the installation.
Who originally installed the system? Was there a design drawing? There's a great deal of knowledge on here especially with Victron @sunshine_eggo would likely help if your willing to take some advice.

My guess is it’s easier to spend money to get rid of a problem than the (small) hassle to fix it.

If money was no object, I would not be trying to fix my car…I’d simply just buy a new one. Then call a charity to donate the old car to and take the tax deduction. Base the tax deduction upon Kelly Blue Book and not have to deal with the hassle of selling especially when people want to kick tires and offer less than what’s already a fair price.
At this point it sounds like OP is best going with their current option of just getting a professional installer to set up and warranty the build.

It is not possible to get any help for my Victron equipment since the selling dealer won't provide any help. At this point I have pieces of non-working Victron gear and no warranty. The Victron warranty is through the selling dealer.

I bought new equipment from a better dealer since the old stuff is broken.

Ok op. Glad you are on the right track. And nice of currentconnected.com to help out.

Since things have gone sideways in this thread, I’d abandon it. Start fresh if you need to.

Hope you get a good resolution.

I had a Prosine 3.0 inverter that worked fine for a dozen years, but it died. The transfer relay finally welded itself which is a known issue and Xantrex used to offer a repair service for this issue. The relay is long obsolete and getting to the relay requires complete disassembly of the inverter. I looked at the work involved and decided a new inverter was a better idea.

First, you are supposed to contact your place of purchase. They do preliminary triage and make sure it's not something simple; In the case of the issue in this thread I knew with two pictures that it was not something simple.

If the customer is out of the USA, then the place of purchase is to contact SOK directly. Within the USA, the place of purchase would contact us and we would handle everything else from there.

That's why SOK wanted to know your place of purchase and order number. I'm waiting on a reply from my rep at SOK (they are sleeping right now) to see why your inquiry didn't make it back to me.

On the broken victron gear, it's similar; you can contact victron at salesusacanada@victronenergy.com and let them know your selling dealer is not providing support or a resolution for your issue and they will follow up with them just like I'm getting at.

Back