diy solar

diy solar

I fear Magnum is done.

Glad you were able to finally get it figured out and fixed. Sounds like Magnum may have a setting dependency that could use to be broken out into a separate setting, but at least the system is working.

I am sorry that @Pyrofx has received a replacement unit that is obviously defective. I know the older units have been in RV's for years and are rock solid. That is why I went with Magnum MSPAE-4448 Inverters. I am using them to run my entire house and they have been in service since Oct 2021. They have ran with no issues. I have been completely satisfied with their performance. (knock on wood). I have pushed over 9.7 megawatt through them so far.

It may take a while to get all the bugs worked out of them at the new factory. Obviously, things have gone south. Way south to Mexico. I am hoping this doesn't bury the company which I am afraid with this kind of quality there is a very small chance of it surviving. What a shame to take a great USA company and trash it.

I am sorry that @Pyrofx has received a replacement unit that is obviously defective. I know the older units have been in RV's for years and are rock solid. That is why I went with Magnum MSPAE-4448 Inverters. I am using them to run my entire house and they have been in service since Oct 2021. They have ran with no issues. I have been completely satisfied with their performance. (knock on wood). I have pushed over 9.7 megawatt through them so far.

It may take a while to get all the bugs worked out of them at the new factory. Obviously, things have gone south. Way south to Mexico. I am hoping this doesn't bury the company which I am afraid with this kind of quality there is a very small chance of it surviving. What a shame to take a great USA company and trash it.
it started going downhill the minute Sensata bought them out. kind of pisses me off but not much to be done about it.

I got a replacement. It lasted 20 min and smoked. Waiting on another replacement.
What worked was email everyone in cc. Support , regional sales, corporate mucks.

Try that first

I got a replacement. It lasted 20 min and smoked. Waiting on another replacement.
What worked was email everyone in cc. Support , regional sales, corporate mucks.

Try that first

I think I’m done with them. I don’t want a made in Mexico replacement that may smoke @ any time. I’m going to ship mine along with the replacement parts to a place I found about 150 miles from me and have them fix it.

I’m not sure at this point if I’m just going to keep ruining the Magnum junk until it no longer works. Or replace it with Victron and try to sell the Magnum junk.

I'd run till it burns up. My guy wanted to buy 2 extras for spares.

I installed 2 sma sunny islands. For about the same. He cant believe how well they work

I also made the mistake of buying magnum. I'm a solar pro (NABCEP 032611-321) and BSEE, and trusted Magnum based on their past reputation. BIG MISTAKE. I even went so far as to buy their GT500 dual microinverters (that they only made for 1 year and quit - with NO WARRANTEE SPARES to ship!!!). 1 blew up and I was able to get a replacement, but no more... I have 2 MSPAE4448 inverters out for repair and 3 BMKs (they blow up VERY easily) on RMAS that are now 18 months old. The helpdesk guys have gone SILENT, but I was recently contacted by the warrantee department and they asked me to send copies of my receipts and correspondance, so I did did an 18 month datadump. Sure hope they take me serious. I'm ready to send copies of all my materials to SENSATA the parent company - and if that doesn't work, maybe start a CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT here in South Carolina. I will no longer recommend MAGNUM to anyone for any reason. If you want a hybrid inverter, SOL-ARK just reduced prices on their 15K limitless model and you can get them for $5500 - because everyone and their uncle has now had chinese copies made - included FORTRESS's new 12K model that is just getting ready to hit the market. Feature for feature matches, ALL THE COPIES! I've install a half dozen of the SOL-ARK 15K limitless models and at 5500, its a NO BRAINER. THEY ARE MADE IN TEXAS BY AMERICANS!!!! By chinese copies at your own risk!

Attachments

• IMG_0001.JPG
    IMG_0001.JPG
    120.1 KB · Views: 32
I also made the mistake of buying magnum. I'm a solar pro (NABCEP 032611-321) and BSEE, and trusted Magnum based on their past reputation. BIG MISTAKE. I even went so far as to buy their GT500 dual microinverters (that they only made for 1 year and quit - with NO WARRANTEE SPARES to ship!!!). 1 blew up and I was able to get a replacement, but no more... I have 2 MSPAE4448 inverters out for repair and 3 BMKs (they blow up VERY easily) on RMAS that are now 18 months old. The helpdesk guys have gone SILENT, but I was recently contacted by the warrantee department and they asked me to send copies of my receipts and correspondance, so I did did an 18 month datadump. Sure hope they take me serious. I'm ready to send copies of all my materials to SENSATA the parent company - and if that doesn't work, maybe start a CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT here in South Carolina. I will no longer recommend MAGNUM to anyone for any reason. If you want a hybrid inverter, SOL-ARK just reduced prices on their 15K limitless model and you can get them for $5500 - because everyone and their uncle has now had chinese copies made - included FORTRESS's new 12K model that is just getting ready to hit the market. Feature for feature matches, ALL THE COPIES! I've install a half dozen of the SOL-ARK 15K limitless models and at 5500, its a NO BRAINER. THEY ARE MADE IN TEXAS BY AMERICANS!!!! By chinese copies at your own risk!
Not made in Texas. I have no other dog in the fight.

What's the latest on Magnum inverter tech help and warranty ?

Victron does have Multiplus 12v 3kva 120v and 24v 3kva 120v models that are certified to UL1741, CSA 22.2 and UL 458 for north America.

The hardware is different than the non-certified units, so it's important to make sure to spec that it needs UL when ordering.

https://www.victronenergy.com/uploa...20-50-120V-&-MultiPlus-24-3000-70-50-120V.pdf

https://www.victronenergy.com/upload/documents/Certificate-UL458-MultiPlus-12-24-3kVA-120V.pdf

View attachment 108619
And many of their Solar Charge Controllers are ETL listed to UL1741.

I personally built my system with a SmartSolar Charge Controller from the list below and their 48 V UL inverter, and EG4 LLv2 battery (UL), and Midnite breakers, busbars, and boxes all listed to provide power for my barn.

Not going to be able to build with all Victron to off-grid the house proper, but for my current needs I am all good re: UL and inspection requirements.

Yes, Victron's US residential market is limited. They are improving though.

Last edited:
Back