diy solar

diy solar

I need a large 12V load...

I'm pretty sure I'm getting what you're saying about the Ohms calculation but there's still the issue that #10 wire, even if it water cooled, in my book anyways, is going to struggle to not melt in two under 600 amps. Or I am missing something?

I built a discharging set up for a 2V FLA cell and a two 16' loops of #12 wire in parallel. It worked great.
Water cooling is extremely powerful. You'd be surprised. You know how long it takes to boil a pot of water, even over a giant flame? And how even very thin, flimsy pots don't melt when water is inside. Do you know about the demo of boiling water in a paper cup? You would think a flame on paper would set it alight, or at least carbonize it, wouldn't you? Not if it is full of water.

But I just boiled a liter of water in a electric kettle using almost exactly 100 watt-hr from a Goal Zero Yeti (was doing a test for our sailing trip to make coffee or tea on route). If you were dumping 6400 watts into a liter of water, you might expect it to boil in about 50 seconds (12.8V at 500 amps).

But I just boiled a liter of water in a electric kettle using almost exactly 100 watt-hr from a Goal Zero Yeti (was doing a test for our sailing trip to make coffee or tea on route). If you were dumping 6400 watts into a liter of water, you might expect it to boil in about 50 seconds (12.8V at 500 amps).
To my credit I did say in a fish tank or in a cooler ... 1 liter is way too small. I was thinking more like 5 gallons or more.

I see. Looks similar to a hammer crimper without the pounding, so probably doesn't damage any strands. Downside is no awg imprint in the lug so no passing inspection.

Video is up...

How cool is that!! The resistors worked perfectly!
I have one of those little LFP motorcycle batteries that you loved in the video and it is awesome! It fires up my 1800cc v-twin much better than the OEM lead battery and there is no trickle charging over the we winter. It also has what it calls a "jump start" feature where the BMS shuts down at something like 20%. Then you can push a button on the battery to manually turn the BMS on to start it.
This is what I have: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07B9NPYRN

Looks like the TH0020. I actually just purchased the same one last week. I was trying to find a video of someone cutting open a lug that was crimped with it but couldn’t find one. Thinking about doing it myself…
I actually used a big bench vise to do a perfect hex crimp in a pinch. Our Temco is on our Pacific Seacraft which is a 8 hour drive so I ordered some cheap replacement hex dies, selected the one that closely corresponded to 2AWG (35mm die) and took one screw out of each side of the vise jaw insert, which left a hole that the die peg could go into. I had to use a cheater on the vise but it is probably the best looking hex crimp I have ever done lol...no ears and the lug was compressed evenly on all six sides to the correct final dimensions according to the Amphenol Surlok datasheet.

The Temco is a lot easier though...

diy solar

diy solar
Back