diy solar

diy solar

I really like the new powerpro battery..

This is the first prefab battery that has gotten my attention. I have always built my own 280AH packs, but the water proof- heated option and capacity got my attention. Never cared for 100AH server rack. They didnt offer anything I couldn't easily do myself and save money.

So I was reading through the Mike Holt book on solar and NEC and I'm not seeing anything in the NEC about an upper limit to battery storage, just the minimum of 1Kwh. Where does the NEC and the UL9540 come in when there's a conflict? Does one supersede the other or do you have to apply ALL the rules from BOTH regulatory ends?

15Kwh is a pretty small limit when you're feeding 12Kw inverters, is there any kind of guide or simplified examples you know of to help clarify all that?

As a note, my state has NEC2020, which is confusing enough, and I have no idea how the UL9540 gets involved in all that. Trying to learn.
Would you recommend his book(s)?
the one you linked, (and he also has one on grounding/bonding) looks good. Pricey, but I’ve watched a lot of his videos, and I find,him easy to understand.

Silver as a material? Has that been confirmed? Would make for a great boon for silver hoarders like me! The price would definitely get jacked up.
The military uses tons of silver in batteries for missiles and other items. It takes allot of power to run IR/trancievers etc...

I'm pretty sure its not new tech for Toyota but they are refining it for production, low materials, etc...???

https://ts2.space/en/toyotas-solid-...Development,life, and enhanced overall safety.
......Toyota’s researchers proposed utilizing a silver-carbon (Ag-C) composite layer as the anode, which allowed the battery to support a larger capacity, a longer cycle life, and enhanced overall safety. The ultrathin Ag-C nanocomposite layer is just 5µm (micrometers) thick, which allowed the team to reduce anode thickness and increase energy density up to 900Wh/L. Toyota has committed to commercializing its new solid-state batteries, with ambitions to have cars run using the new technology on the roads as early as 2027........

The layer is pretty thin but it adds up quick. Not sure where they plan on getting all the silver from. At current rate, solar is going to suck up most of the worlds silver by 2030.

Does someone have a link to purchase the actual connectors used on that battery or who makes them?

The limits on the size and location of batteries energy storage systems as well as the requirement for UL 9540 listing, are not in the NEC. Those requirements are in the IRC(International Residential Code) section R328, and the International Fire Code for buildings not under the IRC.

I think if you want to just buy one, or if you need ul, then probably the way to go. But I'll stick with my DIY. Under $3k each, 304ah, only 16" X 24", and around 210 pounds. I really wonder why their battery is so big and heavy. Pretty sure if I can squeeze the cells in this cabinet, they could too.

View attachment 162430
lithium weight has no hacks, 3x server packs are 315lbs. You may have an Alibabba cell special...

I desperately need two or three Eg4 48v batteries! I have one LL model that I just purchased to be my first battery as you recommended but definitely need more to make my home functional!

Yikes how much are they spending on 80+ lbs of case? Is that the reason for the premium cost or is it R&D?
I really don’t understand what the fixation is for some on the weight of the unit minus the cells.
It’s designed to be all weather and to hold the weight and items within it safely. Outside if need be, and it has internal heaters.

So do all that, have some UL cert, make it look nice, and see what you come up with.

Back