diy solar

diy solar

Install and Operation of the SUNGOLD 10KW 48V SPLIT PHASE SOLAR INVERTER

I'm hoping @42OhmsPA runs across what I'm putting in this post but we both used a serial to usb converter and the rs232 port to talk to the tp6048's we were running because the usb port doesn't work worth a flip on that inverter and I'm wondering if it might be semi buggy on this new one. Some are using the usb but I'm wondering it could be causing issues for some.

I'm hoping @42OhmsPA runs across what I'm putting in this post but we both used a serial to usb converter and the rs232 port to talk to the tp6048's we were running because the usb port doesn't work worth a flip on that inverter and I'm wondering if it might be semi buggy on this new one. Some are using the usb but I'm wondering it could be causing issues for some.
I've wondered the same thing.
The SRNE only communicates with SA via USB. Ive had minimal issues with the USB.

I've wondered the same thing.
The SRNE only communicates with SA via USB. Ive had minimal issues with the USB.
ID changing was null, usb power disconnects and reinitializes null, cable changes null, system restarts and config change commands null, usb port changes and restarts all null, inverter isn’t speaking to SA via USB B it seems like. I sent logs to SA support will Update if I get a response

check voltage, i also have two growatt 12kw inverters, the difference is voltage, sungold wants the voltage above 200 normally to it works better and works perfectly at around 420volts. so when i had my 36 panels wired at lower for growatt, it wouldn' t hold during the day when it got cloudy. changed the string layout and runs like a champ
I actually have the SP6548 inverter. Voltage was over 90 at the time of the shutdown but I'm not exactly sure yet what the voltages etc were. I have to wait until the day is completely done and go through the levels for the whole day. It could be it momentarily hit 40°C which may have caused a momentary overheat. I do know I later had a "general fault" which is who knows what. It's not mentioned in the manual anywhere.

You should be able to adjust/change that in your settings....all dependent on details and what you are wanting to do of course!
Mine is set to SBU mode... Solar Battery Utility( utility last resort and only if both others are not up to snuff)
Yup that's how mine is set.

Oh no.... my initial order of Inverter and two batteries shipped within a week but one of the batteries got lost/delayed.... the second order of additional batteries was weeks and weeks! Gawd only knows how long the rack mount is going to take...hasn't been fulfilled yet and it's been over a week sitting there. OH and I love how they take your money right away and then ship later....
Yup, I know. 39 days to get my system delivered! I almost canceled the order. And now, 3+ weeks waiting on 2 batteries and 2 waiting on a cable. The cable is now close to being here as it arrived in Indy tonight just after 7pm. I didn't get a chance yet to try the wiring you showed as I had to watch a little one for a friend ?

Can you try connecting to the inverter with a computer? Do you have the software?
I had to get it from Sungold...

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1vduX6-TVr5fKuNFXUOK6QtUD5v73zpv9/view?usp=drive_link

maybe...
Did you get a chance to try this? Would confirm whether there is an issue with the inverter and/or cable or if it is an issue with the Pi.

also, if you want to try a microSD burn and restart there's this - https://solar-assistant.io/help/getting-started/prepare-device

Last edited:
Here’s the rub from SA

View attachment 178292
Interesting. I am using a USB hub but it isn't powered... I haven't seen nearly the errors I was seeing since I've been keeping up with the latest beta updates.
I have a powered hub (somewhere) I can try.
I'm also going to order some ferrite rings to try since I've suspected it could be caused from EFI.
...really I just can't leave anything alone, I like to tinker.

Interesting. I am using a USB hub but it isn't powered... I haven't seen nearly the errors I was seeing since I've been keeping up with the latest beta updates.
I have a powered hub (somewhere) I can try.
I'm also going to order some ferrite rings to try since I've suspected it could be caused from EFI.
...really I just can't leave anything alone, I like to tinker.
Many a story I've read with amazement and amusement has had tinkers at the core. :)

P.S. I didn't know you were having issues with the SA/Pi...

Guys I got a major problem here. I powered everything down and my inverter won’t come back on. Everything is hooked up correct but it won’t start up. Just dark. I see a red light on boardAF7CC6F0-D1EB-44A0-9496-8422EBE1D5DC.jpegFF4B9873-50CA-4D3D-8782-1C7196F936B8.jpeg

I would try removing all power to the unit. With it being night time you can ignore the solar part but kill battery and ac power then start powering back up and see it will turn on. Also I wouldn't re-add power till that led turned off.

I would try removing all power to the unit. With it being night time you can ignore the solar part but kill battery and ac power then start powering back up and see it will turn on. Also I wouldn't re-add power till that led turned off.
Tried it. Nothing. It won’t start. Straight to red light… Jesus Christ this thing was a lemon man…
I’m so heartbroken right now.

Back