diy solar

diy solar

Install and Operation of the SUNGOLD 10KW 48V SPLIT PHASE SOLAR INVERTER

could be that round display! I know, I know, not funny... not funny...

Not to be pedantic, but you have disconnected it from everything right.... AC, Battery, Solar and then just added one back in... say battery or AC and nothing right?
Yep he tried that when I was on the phone with him.

Won't come on with ac only or battery only. Was dark so he couldn't try solar then :)

In more positive news the Sungold USB-RJ11 Battery Comm cable seems to be working fine and no disconnects. Been fine for the last couple of hours. Will leave it in place and see what happens.

could be that round display! I know, I know, not funny... not funny...

Not to be pedantic, but you have disconnected it from everything right.... AC, Battery, Solar and then just added one back in... say battery or AC and nothing right?
Yeah that was some of my first troubleshoots trying to isolate diff inputs and just input those supplies and try to start the machine. The machine just sits there, not even a noise.

I am jealous of you @Kenny_ you’ve had so much better luck than me

Yeah that was some of my first troubleshoots trying to isolate diff inputs and just input those supplies and try to start the machine. The machine just sits there, not even a noise.

I am jealous of you @Kenny_ you’ve had so much better luck than me
You expect these things to just work.....but damn it sucks when they don't! And support on most of them is sketchy! Except maybe Solark and you pay for that up front!

You expect these things to just work.....but damn it sucks when they don't! And support on most of them is sketchy! Except maybe Solark and you pay for that up front!
Funny you’d mention solark I was just scrolling… my wife says I do that… I don’t get things to work how I want them I get mad and throw all my money at it until I get my way.. trying to be patient…

CD7C850C-F910-4CCD-AA9C-5A07F792428E.jpeg

Funny you’d mention solark I was just scrolling… my wife says I do that… I don’t get things to work how I want them I get mad and throw all my money at it until I get my way.. trying to be patient…

View attachment 178580
Do some homework on Deye before you buy a sol ark.
If you're going to spend that kind of money look at Schneider XW Pro, Midnite Rosie, or maybe even victron. I'll have a Rosie or XW Pro when I build my true off grid system.

Do some homework on Deye before you buy a sol ark.
If you're going to spend that kind of money look at Schneider XW Pro, Midnite Rosie, or maybe even victron. I'll have a Rosie or XW Pro when I build my true off grid system.
Wow researching

Schneider Conext XW PRO 6.8KW Hybrid Inverter​

What a beast, never looked at this unit

Battery communication to my Pi/Solar Assistant is still working great this morning. I'm glad but a bit surprised. I'm tempted to go back to the previous cable (from Current Connected, the USB-DB9-RJ11) to see if it still acts the same way with constant disconnects....

Also the discrepancy between battery watts and load watts seems less this morning.

Switched back to the CC Cable ... testing to see if it still disconnects.... only difference is Pi is located in different place (instead on top of Inverter it is sitting on top of batteries below inverter.....

followup: interesting....seems to be working fine with the previous cable as well. Perhaps something to do with placement? Cable picking up RF/interfreence? (or maybe (I don't know for sure) I plugged it into a different USB port on the Raspberry Pi. I did plug it into the same plug that the Sungold cable was using. FWTW.

Last edited:
Good thought! Inverter certainly could be a source of interference. Power inductors or transformers, leaking magnetic field which will induce signal in wires.

Consider the magnetic field lines, looks like lines from a permanent magnet except pulsing in and out. Wire running parallel to lines will get current induced, wire orthogonal to lines will not. From outside the inverter you won't know the field pattern, but each magnetic component inside does something like this. E-core and toroid components do a better job of keeping field inside them where it can do some good, but they all leak.

1700407573191.png

Battery communication to my Pi/Solar Assistant is still working great this morning. I'm glad but a bit surprised. I'm tempted to go back to the previous cable (from Current Connected, the USB-DB9-RJ11) to see if it still acts the same way with constant disconnects....

Also the discrepancy between battery watts and load watts seems less this morning.

Switched back to the CC Cable ... testing to see if it still disconnects.... only difference is Pi is located in different place (instead on top of Inverter it is sitting on top of batteries below inverter.....

followup: interesting....seems to be working fine with the previous cable as well. Perhaps something to do with placement? Cable picking up RF/interfreence? (or maybe (I don't know for sure) I plugged it into a different USB port on the Raspberry Pi. I did plug it into the same plug that the Sungold cable was using. FWTW.

Yep....that's it..... I moved the Pi back up on top of Inverter and boom! dropped battery connection almost immediately....moved back down below, on top of batteries and it's working fine. I suspect the cables are not shielded properly ... most likely the RJ11 piece which looks like standard flat phone line extension type stuff...

Glad that issue is resolved as well!

One suggestion/warning.

If its not broke you can keep fixing it till it is broke :)

If its working just enjoy USING it and not tinkering till you can't use it....

One suggestion/warning.

If its not broke you can keep fixing it till it is broke :)

If its working just enjoy USING it and not tinkering till you can't use it....
LOL! Yeah but the scientist/engineer wants answers! :)
And if we find the answer it will potentially be useful to others!

I just keep think of what happened to @Lighthouse Beacon is why I pointed it out.

When you get old the "better safe than sorry" phrase plays over and over in your head.

I know but at my age ya gotta make hay while the sun shines. :)

(and it's not like I'm fully reliant on this system, just trying to pay my power bill early. :) )

I just keep think of what happened to @Lighthouse Beacon is why I pointed it out.

When you get old the "better safe than sorry" phrase plays over and over in your head.
@Crowz is right, I was done and should have stepped away and let it run. I am not going to “play” as much with the new one… that being said… I’m not so sure this unit didn’t have problems from the onset, I had the “refurb” feeling in my head the moment I unboxed it… crooked display, older model etc. it might be for the better it broke sooner than later. I am sad I’m not online right now… panels are lit up big time… these babies get warm without a load on them

6CDF172C-EE37-40CA-B7A6-F5468535671C.jpeg

Back