diy solar

diy solar

Install and Operation of the SUNGOLD 10KW 48V SPLIT PHASE SOLAR INVERTER

I love all the info on the display.....but I want that via Wifi...

will solar assist do that?

I was a bit worried about how loud it might be but it's significantly less than my Delta Pro when it really cranks up....of course I've just got minor load on the 10k at the moment (but same as what the Delta Pro was doing) and I've been away most of the day running errands so may not have heard it when the panels were cranking out 1.5 Kw.... definitely need to get the other three panels hooked up.

Yep it will show all of the useful info from anywhere in the world since the pi solar assistant is running on handles the network connection and does it a heck of allot easier than the wifi stuff in the inverter does.
I'll check it out once I do some tidying up here and verifying that all is working as expected (still need to connect to the Grid for charging/backup/feed-through and make sure that is all working as expected).

Another question.... do I need to be concerned about the AC input phases vs AC output phases or are they totally isolated?
i.e. does L1 of the AC Grid Input have to be the 'same' as the L1 AC Inverter Output and L2-L2 or is that irrelevant?

I'm a wee bit nervous to connect up the grid AC 220 Input..

Another question.... do I need to be concerned about the AC input phases vs AC output phases are are they totally isolated?
i.e. does L1 of the AC Grid Input have to be the 'same' as the L1 AC Inverter Output and L2-L2 or is that irrelevant?

I'm a wee bit nervous to connect up the grid AC 220 Input..
I paid no attention to what came "in" as far as l1 and l2 on mine.

I got the 'test' cable for connecting that part (AC Input) delivered this afternoon so will give that a try possibly tomorrow.

oops forgot to post that...but .... I have connected (plugged in - to the clothes dryer plug) the 240 v grid power input to the inverter.....no sparks or magic smoke released yet...

Last edited:
Set up the three additional panels but inadvertently smoked my Ecoflow River 2 Pro as I'd connected the first of the three additional panels up to it to verify everything was working and forgot/didn't think to unplug it before I connected in the other two panels! Oops!!!

PXL_20231101_185110405.jpg

I know.... Supposedly it has 'protection' and a 5 year warranty, but .... I sent them a message...we'll see. otherwise that's a $600 mistake...

also

downloaded the 'test' programs for seeing if Solar Assist would work and can't get anything out of Watchpower...maybe I'm just dense or am missing something ... either it can't connect to my inverter or I've got to set something up in the program that I'm missing....manual is very confusing at least for me....maybe I need the simple idiot guide to testing/checking or something :)

I know.... Supposedly it has 'protection' and a 5 year warranty, but .... I sent them a message...we'll see. otherwise that's a $600 mistake...

also

downloaded the 'test' programs for seeing if Solar Assist would work and can't get anything out of Watchpower...maybe I'm just dense or am missing something ... either it can't connect to my inverter or I've got to set something up in the program that I'm missing....manual is very confusing at least for me....maybe I need the simple idiot guide to testing/checking or something :)
Solar Assistant will work. Just plug the USB Type B printer cable to the Orange Pi Solar Assistant Device and select the SRNE selection in Solar Assistant setup wizard. The onboard wifi and app are garbage. Not planning to use it.

Wow they sent you square screened one
Yeah, I was surprised after seeing yours. It does match what was on line when I ordered.
Will look further into the Solar Assistant.... I have a couple of Raspberry Pi's....where did you get your 'Orange Pi' ? Sounds like you purchased a complete plug and play kinda kit. I'd like to use the Raspberry Pi I have but not if it's overly complicated....I wrote software for almost 50 years...I'm done with it... :) :) :) just want a simple solution.

Today's project is a bit of cleanup on the above temporary setup. In particular adding the heat-shrink on the battery cables.
Maybe some work towards getting Solar Assistant working.

Maybe it a psychological situation or emotional attachment issue, but I'm not happy when I'm out of touch with my inverter. :)

Also need to further consider/refine/decide on how/where/etc to do the more permanent install of the inverter and batteries
and what to do about getting the 6 solar panels better mounted/set up in the back yard. I'm not ready to go full install, inspection, certification, etc. at this point but need to get all this is better shape to operate in an ongoing basis until I go full legal (if ever :) ).

Last edited:
oops forgot to post that...but .... I have connected (plugged in - to the clothes dryer plug) the 240 v grid power input to the inverter.....no sparks or magic smoke released yet...

3-prong or 4-prong clothes dryer plug?

I've done this for testing. It means when unplugged you don't have that ground connection. Because this is a battery inverter, it is still producing AC, also it has PV DC connected, so there is a potential shock hazard.
You should keep chassis always grounded. Could be keep it plugged in and turn off dryer circuit breaker, or have another ground wire. An extension cord or single wire from 120V outlet with just ground connected to inverter would do it.

PV panel frames should have a ground wire back to inverter chassis. I have the wire between PV array and inverters under test grounded at the combiner box, which is present even if AC disconnected.

GFCI outlets are good too. I got my shock even though indoors and dry, because I mis-wired between two boxes. Always good to double check voltages including chassis before contacting anything.
GFCI won't help with PV DC or AC coupled onto PV, however, but checking voltages will.

Thanks for that...I was concerned, but seems to be okay....will be careful though...

Been fighting with Wifi and Solar Assistant for several hours not, so have not gotten to my heat-shrink and tidying up.

Good news is that I've purchased Solar Assistant software and have it plugged in and it appears to be working.

Sungold support was worthless wrt the wifi.

My battery dropped below threshold apparently this morning and all hell broke loose... I though it was all set up to charge from the grid but nothing was happening...no matter how I changed the settings....this went on for over an hour....even switched back to my Ecoflow Delta Pro for power....more fiddling with settings, checking voltages with meter....and then I realized the AC Input Breaker on the side of the inverter was OFF!

I could slap myself!

Back