diy solar

diy solar

Install and Operation of the SUNGOLD 10KW 48V SPLIT PHASE SOLAR INVERTER

Almost perfection on the batteries.. All showing 100% and very similar voltages.

Notice how the current is distributed very unevenly.

And don't ask about the individual cell voltage levels. I didn't want to photograph those ?

With the panels I have more problems. Damaged goods, it seems. Used = cheap.

View attachment 188963
View attachment 188962
Using the PBMSTools (either basic or SOK) you can view all the individual cell voltages and grab a screenshot. :)

Random thought....what if the inverter is broken and only supplying 53 V or not enough voltage to raise the batteries over 53 V ??

How would I even test/check that?

After bulk charge the inverter "should" float charge the batteries at #11 volts as set by the BMS and as long as the BMS is requesting charge current #7.

For me #9 and #11 are 56.4 volts
Also menu item #7 Battery charging current is also set by the BMS. Disconnect the BMS and this should revert to the default of 60.
This is also displayed is SA as "Max charge current" and updates as the BMS continues to modify it.
Max PV charge current is hard coded in the firmware, I can't find a user settable menu item.
Max grid charge current is menu item #28

Screenshot 2024-01-15 094811.png

The output of the inverter can be measured with a multimeter at the battery cable connections in the inverter.
You should also measure the voltage at the battery

The output of the inverter can be measured with a multimeter at the battery cable connections in the inverter.
With the inverter disconnected from batteries, right?

Not sure it will even attempt to charge if disconnected from batteries

No do not disconnect the batteries at all. Measure the battery voltage at the inverter connector and also measure it on your battery bus bar somewhere just to make sure you're not dropping voltage between the two

No do not disconnect the batteries at all. Measure the battery voltage at the inverter connector and also measure it on your battery bus bar somewhere just to make sure you're not dropping voltage between the two
Okay.... But then it's just the same as I'm seeing in the inverter screen or Doala assistant and what I'm seeing in pbmstools which is 53.1....

Honestly Kenny I'm sure you're doing your own head in as well as us LOL you have a weak cell in battery number 5 and either because of that or some other minor difference your battery number five acts a little differently. You either need to put it in user mode and forget about it or keep the comms running and forget about it. Whichever, go live your life away from this thing for a while. ?

Honestly Kenny I'm sure you're doing your own head in as well as us LOL you have a weak cell in battery number 5 and either because of that or some other minor difference your battery number five acts a little differently. You either need to put it in user mode and forget about it or keep the comms running and forget about it. Whichever, go live your life away from this thing for a while. ?
Yeah....maybe so....????

Yes just did this and all the same meter says 53.2 at inverter and batteries and measuring at each of the batteries and diagonal opposite the inverter supply/feed cables. :(

Sorry. Certainly not meaning to bother anyone, but this is just making me crazy when people are saying 54.4/pack and 3.4/cell is 'Full' and mine are no where near that .... 53.1/pack and 3316 mv/cell max/full.

I was concerned about battery #5 a while ago and it is acting differently (maybe it's effecting the others) but now my concern is bigger as above with none of the packs charging above 53.1

I'm going WTAF?

P.S. I'll try to stop posting so much though... just looking for help or confirmation from those with this same inverter and/or batteries and thus far it seems mine in not acting 'normally.' ----now looks like pack2 is inching up slightly to 3.321 / cell

Last edited:
What does SA show for "Max charge current" and what is menu Item #7 reading?
This is the current the BMS is telling the inverter to charge with. I assume the inverter will lower it's charging voltage so this current (as requested by the BMS) is not exceeded.

If you disconnect the BMS (for a test) #7 should go to the default of 60 amps, SA should then show 60 for Max charge current and the inverter charging voltage hopefully goes up and you see an increase in charging current as read by the SOKTools software

Why so low on 5, 9,11?
05 - switch back to battery sooner to minimize grid usage.
09 - 55.2V / 16 gets you to 3.45V / cell, full after sitting at this voltage (setting 10)
11 - 54.8V / 16 gets you 3.425V / cell, enough to balance (if you lower your balance start voltage in the BMS like I suggested a few posts / pages back. Post in thread 'Install and Operation of the SUNGOLD 10KW 48V SPLIT PHASE SOLAR INVERTER' https://diysolarforum.com/threads/i...-split-phase-solar-inverter.71345/post-977642)

Edit to add 05 will not take affect if you are using utility first priority.

don’t change your ways! I’m sure he was just being facetious
More like trying to stop him worrying so much about it, you know it's not top notch components and it's not going to behave like it. There's been tons of great information here. I think Kenny needs to stop, use 420' settings and start with a clean slate and not worry about it as much.
Nothing running in parallel will share the work equally, absolutely nothing, not engines, not batteries, not humans, nothing.

05 - switch back to battery sooner to minimize grid usage.
09 - 55.2V / 16 gets you to 3.45V / cell, full after sitting at this voltage (setting 10)
11 - 54.8V / 16 gets you 3.425V / cell, enough to balance (if you lower your balance start voltage in the BMS like I suggested a few posts / pages back. Post in thread 'Install and Operation of the SUNGOLD 10KW 48V SPLIT PHASE SOLAR INVERTER' https://diysolarforum.com/threads/i...-split-phase-solar-inverter.71345/post-977642)

Edit to add 05 will not take affect if you are using utility first priority.
Interesting.... 5 make sense that way...would be my preference as well.

on mine the BMS set value for 9 and 11 is 56.4 significantly more but others are saying theirs is set to 57.6 for 9 and 11

as far as balance threshold I'm never getting anywhere near 3.4/cell ?? right now max on all 5 packs is 3.321 .... maybe I don't understand what this does but if the cells never reach that voltage then is doesn't matter anyway, right?

Thanks!

Off the wall question. How accurate and how many digits is your meter? With lifepo4 milli volts are a concern.
Tier 1 inverters generally have a setting for off set voltage between the inverters and the battery terminal.

More like trying to stop him worrying so much about it, you know it's not top notch components and it's not going to behave like it. There's been tons of great information here. I think Kenny needs to stop, use 420' settings and start with a clean slate and not worry about it as much.
Nothing running in parallel will share the work equally, absolutely nothing, not engines, not batteries, not humans, nothing.
I'm very close to going to grid and dumping this whole mess. :ROFLMAO: :p Oh Wait I meant very close to going to the User thing and see what happens....

Either that or do a full factory reset and attach only one or two batteries and see what happens (def without battery 5)

at the moment still waiting on battery 5 to get up there (and we're still charging but may run into that 240 minute limit real soon now.. bat 5 is at 93% SOC cells at 3.315 - 3.313..

still charging though at aggregate of 99% SOC

Last edited:
Off the wall question. How accurate and how many digits is your meter? With lifepo4 milli volts are a concern.
Tier 1 inverters generally have a setting for off set voltage between the inverters and the battery terminal.
Are you talking about at the Cell level or the Pack/Battery level? I'm using a cheap Craftsman digital meter... only .1 accuracy that I'm seeing on the 200 VDC range.

I think my inverter is Tier Garbage! :ROFLMAO:
Shoulda gone with the big boys. :)

diy solar

diy solar
Back