diy solar

diy solar

Is Solar Assistant-Raspberry PI a reliable remote monitoring/control solution

I can and have changed all of my settings from Solar Assistant.
I dont think it's a problem with SA but from EASUN n there cheap inverters. I am tring to change it using the USB B cable they have send me. I tried using the computer with solar power also but couldn't change any settings.

I have bee using SA for a while, sourced a Pi 4 from here https://www.canakit.com/. Purchased the software, dowloaded and installed.
No issues works great, I two 2 LV6548 and 6 EG4 LIFEPOWER. sometimes i have to reboot the batteries.

Canakit has some kits, sadly hard to find just the boards. my get and Orange pi play with.

I have bee using SA for a while, sourced a Pi 4 from here https://www.canakit.com/. Purchased the software, dowloaded and installed.
No issues works great, I two 2 LV6548 and 6 EG4 LIFEPOWER. sometimes i have to reboot the batteries.

Canakit has some kits, sadly hard to find just the boards. my get and Orange pi play with.
My issue don't seems to be from SA but EASUN. There inverters don't seem to allow to charge parameters from another form other than directly on the inverter.

SA n my inverters r showing different values when it comes to PV close to about 500W. This is what I asked them but there is no response from them.

I have an EASun 8kW inverter and have no issues with Solar Assistant making changes. Mine's all managed with Home Assistant automations interacting with Solar Assistant via the MQTT integration. Works really well. Controls the switching between output source priority, as well as the charger source priority and how much supplemental "grid" charging to use (it adjusts based on how much excess PV capacity my grid-tied PV system has available).

I've no idea how good or crap my inverter is but so far it's working well.

I have an EASun 8kW inverter and have no issues with Solar Assistant making changes. Mine's all managed with Home Assistant automations interacting with Solar Assistant via the MQTT integration. Works really well. Controls the switching between output source priority, as well as the charger source priority and how much supplemental "grid" charging to use (it adjusts based on how much excess PV capacity my grid-tied PV system has available).

I've no idea how good or crap my inverter is but so far it's working well.
Does it work with solar assistant alone without home assistant. Bcz I hv not linked it with home Assistant.

1. It's about as reliable as your power supply and internet and local network connections. Where I've had trouble is my sometimes flakey local WiFi. So now I have it connected with an ethernet data cable. Don't skimp on the Pi power supply.

2. SA, at present (it may change in future), can only monitor one source of battery data, be that a BMS or a shunt or via an inverter. So if your battery's BMSs are connected to each other and one acts as the main comms connection to the SA Pi then yes it can report on each battery, provided it is a compatible BMS/comms. But if you are hoping to connect each battery BMS individually to the SA Pi then at present SA cannot do that. Having SA monitor more than one source of battery data is an oft requested feature and is on the long list of features to add. There is no time frame for this feature.

3. I bought mine direct from SA, it was just easier as it was my first Pi and I wanted to shorten the learning curve. It was a Pi 3b. SA has guidance on hardware requirements here:

I would stay with the officially supported models as listed. Note that the Orange Pi is not supported. That doesn't mean it won't work but that SA has stated it's not going to provide support for it.
Heck, wish I would known SA not supporting Orange. I bought it 2 months ago. Sigh

Heck, wish I would known SA not supporting Orange. I bought it 2 months ago. Sigh
I don't know how that can be true, they sell the installed version on an Orange.

Hardware support​

DeviceRemarksVideo output
Raspberry PI 1, 2
Raspberry PI Zero
Not officially supported, but used by some usersNone
Raspberry PI Zero W
Raspberry PI 3A+
Data is real-time within 2 - 4 seconds
Historic metric every 30 seconds
None
Raspberry PI Zero 2 W
Raspberry PI 3B, 3B+
Raspberry PI 4B
Data is real-time within 1 - 2 seconds
Historic metric every 10 seconds
None
Orange PI 3 LTS (Must be LTS)Data is real-time within 1 - 2 seconds
Full HD

I don't know how that can be true, they sell the installed version on an Orange.

Hardware support​

DeviceRemarksVideo output
Raspberry PI 1, 2
Raspberry PI Zero
Not officially supported, but used by some usersNone
Raspberry PI Zero W
Raspberry PI 3A+
Data is real-time within 2 - 4 seconds
Historic metric every 30 seconds
None
Raspberry PI Zero 2 W
Raspberry PI 3B, 3B+
Raspberry PI 4B
Data is real-time within 1 - 2 seconds
None
Orange PI 3 LTS (Must be LTS)Data is real-time within 1 - 2 seconds
Full HD
Thank you. I was reading above post. I have not used support. This is good news.

Back